Helmut Lang sold to Link Theory

F

fashionologie

I've heard rumors of this for a couple of days now, but it's finally starting to be in print (at WWD as well)

from vogue.co.uk:
PRADA is expected to announce today that a Japanese company has bought Helmut Lang, less than a month after the Italian powerhouse sold Jil Sander. Cloak designer Alexandre Plokhov is also thought to be in line to take up the job of creative director at Lang.

fashionologie said:
I've heard rumors of this for a couple of days now, but it's finally starting to be in print (at WWD as well)

from vogue.co.uk:

Why doesn't Helumt Lang just start designing it again? It seems to me that it's a bit early to have someone else design for this "house"....It's not really "institutional" enough to justify that. I understand he fell out with Prada, but with new owners, why not take the reigns back? What does the Cloak guy ahve to do with Helmut Lang? It's daft that you'd have someone designing under someone else's name when that other is still around and may start designing again!!

I wonder if they even attempted to contact Helmut about returning? It does seem a little odd now,selling it and not even asking Helmut if he'd like to come back. But perhaps the spirit of the label is dead for Monsieur Lang too?? Or that he's got other projects devised to even bother.

And why is Alexandre one that's being named? They don't even have the same styles..nor even aesthetics,imo. One you got a guy whose foundation is organic with traditons and craft...and a certain romanticism. And Helmut,he's such an über-modernist;abstract and utilitarian. Doesn't seem to fit.

But I suppose,it's a bit premature to insinuate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no, Helmut Lang, designed by somebody else than the man himself? No way, this is certainly not what I was expecting... =(

If not designed by himself, they should have gone for somebody else that was closer to his approach, Melanie Ward being the most obvious choice or alternatively, someone like Nicolas Andreas Taralis who had been trained by Helmut and who might bring back a certain preciseness and luxe-factor to the tailoring. If Plokov wants to succeed, he will have to do a bit more than utility and washed, monochrome cotton outfits.

I think Jens Laugesen would be a VERY good choice as well, I love the direction he´s heading now - deconstructed and minimalist, but utterly wearable as well. He could do wonders for Lang.

I don't think Plokov is talented enough to do Helmut Lang, not in the least if his latest collections are anything to go by. This is all a bit dissapointing.

From bloomberg.com:

Prada to Sell Helmut Lang to Focus on Its Main Brands (Update1)
March 17 (Bloomberg) -- Prada Holding NV agreed to sell Helmut Lang, the unprofitable fashion house it bought in 1999, to Link Theory Holdings Co. of Japan.
Prada, which is based in Milan, didn't give the value of the transaction in an e-mailed statement today. The divestment follows Prada's sale last month of Jil Sander AG and completes a plan to focus on its own brands, which include Miu Miu and Car Shoe.
``This is a liberation for Prada,'' said Armando Branchini, vice president of Intercorporate, a Milan-based consulting company, who estimates Helmut Lang's value is about 50 million euros ($61 million).
Helmut Lang, named after its Austrian-born founder, hasn't made a profit since Prada Chief Executive Officer Patrizio Bertelli and designer Miuccia Prada bought it. Lang left the business in 2005 and in the same year, Prada closed its Helmut Lang boutiques and stopped making products under the label. Together with Jil Sander, the brand contributed to Prada's loss of 62 million euros for 2004.
The announcement was made after the Japanese market closed. Shares of Tokyo-based Link Theory today gained 6,000 yen, or 0.9 percent, to 675,000 yen in Tokyo. The company sells clothes under the Theory and Joie brands.
Prada said on Feb. 23 it agreed to sell German fashion house Jil Sander to Change Capital Partners, a London-based private-equity company headed by former Marks & Spencer Group Plc Chairman Luc Vandevelde.
Prada, best known for its black nylon bags and triangular logo, is trying to revive its business after postponing three attempts to sell shares to the public in as many years. "

SO, the article doesn't say anything about who might be designing it. I just hope that they don't get somebody else to do it. I don't see what interest there would be in Helmut Lang without Helmut Lang.

John

i didnt expect it to be so soon, as jil sander was just sold about a month ago.
there is possibility of helmut's coming back now, no?

This thing makes absolutely no sense to me afterall...
I hope Lang will be back.

it would be great for alexandre plokhov to get a job...
the guy certainly needs some $$$
i think it makes sense actually...

it's basically the same customer that they both appeal to...

as far as helmut coming back..
i would love that...
but it doesn't look like jil sander is going back to her label...
so i don't know if helmut would go back either...

my big concern is the same one i had when raf took over jil sander...
he doesn't do womenswear...?!?!...

:(...

i think it's really hard to find someone who is good at both...

tricotineacetat said:
I think Jens Laugesen would be a VERY good choice as well, I love the direction he´s heading now - deconstructed and minimalist, but utterly wearable as well. He could do wonders for Lang.

Thats what I think as well, if any one....

^Couldn't agree more. I love Laugesen's work - I'm sad that his collection has not garnered the attention it deserves. Him designing for Helmut Lang would be marvellous.

Just a little OT, but Jens had to skip London Fashion Week this time and then decided to show in Paris as a film presentation that had as well been shown simultaneously at SHOWstudio, Nick Knight´s website.

The collection had been very well received even though there was of course less media coverage, but rest assured that he will be back in the next few seasons with a fresh direction that started with last S/S 2006 - more sophisticated, less busy with dangling straps and harnesses but still undeniably Jens.

^Yes! Jens Laugesen would be IDEAL, he would be perfect, the next best thing to Helmut Lang himself..

sad news(from Fashion Wire Daily on Yahoo News), though..:( :
Lang is not expected to return to the fashion house bearing his name despite the change in ownership, though there have been unconfirmed rumors that Link Theory may have approached the accliamed young Russian men's designer Alexandre Plokhov of Cloak about a possible design role at the label.

I would surely enjoy what Alexandre Plokhov would do for the label if rumors are true, but it wouldn't be Helmut Lang. Jens Laugesen would be a much more obvious and truer choice.

I would also actually love to see Jil Sander do it - it might not be right, but it'd be so ironic.

Another bit from the article:
Today's announcement brings to an end Bertelli's dreams of building a major luxury group.

That just fills me with deep, perverse delight :evil:

:boxer:

tricotineacetat said:
Oh no, Helmut Lang, designed by somebody else than the man himself? No way, this is certainly not what I was expecting

it is not surprising that helmut himself is not returning as creative director for his namesake label. helmut is hard at work on some sort of top secret project of his own. i know for a fact that he still owns / works in the space above what was once his new york store in soho. i also know for a fact that the building is registered under the name "HL ART" and that he has two employees.

tricotineacetat said:
If not designed by himself, they should have gone for somebody else that was closer to his approach, Melanie Ward being the most obvious choice

although melanie ward was an obvious choice she and most of her design team under helmut have moved on and taken jobs working for the new
karl lagerfeld label.

That's great news, Leviathan. As long as Lang is back at work doing SOMETHING, then I'm happy. I'll just transfer my loyalty over to whatever new project he's working on and away from the old Helmut Lang label.

John

Alexandre Plokhov for Helmut Lang

cloak.jpg
"For all of you downtown darling dudes that read this site - and I know there are plenty - this lil' bit of gossip is for you. Rumour has it that the brilliant Alexandre Plokhov, of the revered menswear line Cloak, is about to be named the new designer for Helmut Lang"

-http://downtowndarling.com/

anyone else heard anything like this? thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->