Help my boyfriend?

Caramel

Reaction score
My bf has given me the task of helping him with his wardrobe, basically he needs EVERYTHING, and I have no idea about men’s fashion... :doh:

He’s definitely a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy, and needs mostly casual clothes. I’m thinking a good selection of jeans, t-shirts, button-downs and knitwear, and then maybe three jackets/coats (one smart winter coat that can also be dressed down with jeans, one casual winter jacket, and maybe a blazer or something like that..) and three pairs of shoes (one smart pair, casual winter shoes and trainers). How does this sound as basics for a guy? Any tips on what to get for him? Pictures? Styles?

In winter I usually wear long elegant jackets that can be used with suits. They are also nice with casual wear. You can wear one with ripped jeans and a hoodie. I also have one heavy "Canada Goose" parka for when it gets very cold and it usually does in Finland. :lol:

For summer, I'd buy a beige/black leather biker jacket. I'd wear that with a v-neck t-shirt from J. Lindeberg. It's a very sexy look. :brows:

I'd buy some nice sweaters from "Gant" or "Polo by Ralph Lauren" for winter. I'd wear those with a nice dress shirt (collared shirt.) For a casual look pair those with distressed jeans & sneakers/boots. Buy one turtle neck sweater.

Those are very popular right now. I got one from Calvin Klein in dark purple which is a trendy colour for this winter.

What's your budget?

I'd definitely start from the cheapest stores and work my way up if I was building a wardrobe you are trying to build. Start with the likes of H&M, than go to Zara, Filippa K, etc. and finish with a designer piece or two stands out. I can't really comment on the specific stores, because I'm not sure what's popular in Scandinavia (well H&M is everywhere, do you have TopShop, or is only in UK?).

Good luck.

jeans.......if hes quite tall and slim DEFINATELY go for levis 516 they are the BEST

tops.......long sleeve v-neck's are always good to have....go to reiss for them also maybe cashmere ones depending on budget

for summer the only tops u should be looking at are vest tops.....t-shirts are a no no. go for loose long ones if hes thin.....but slightly tighter ones if hes got a hot bod

for jackets......go to helmut lang......they make the BEST.....quite short but with really long sleeves....it looks so nice

make sure he has a hoodie too.....only in black or grey though, u can practically wear them with anything.....on top of tops.....by itself.....or under a jacket

try NOT to go for colourful or white trainers........the best ones which are most vesatile are completely black.

forget SHIRTS, SUIT JACKETS, BELTS..........none of that is needed unless i put it all together for a genuinely smart look. theres nothing worse than blazer worn with jeans, shirt worn with jeans......or leather belt worn with jeans

Originally posted by Acid@Oct 12 2004, 08:36 AM
jeans.......if hes quite tall and slim DEFINATELY go for levis 516 they are the BEST

for summer the only tops u should be looking at are vest tops.....t-shirts are a no no. go for loose long ones if hes thin.....but slightly tighter ones if hes got a hot bod

make sure he has a hoodie too.....only in black or grey though, u can practically wear them with anything.....on top of tops.....by itself.....or under a jacket

try NOT to go for colourful or white trainers........the best ones which are most vesatile are completely black.

forget SHIRTS, SUIT JACKETS, BELTS..........none of that is needed unless i put it all together for a genuinely smart look. theres nothing worse than blazer worn with jeans, shirt worn with jeans......or leather belt worn with jeans
[snapback]394634[/snapback]​

Man, I must be the worst dressd guy out there, since I seem to break all of these rules!

Seriously though

(1) do NOT get your bf (assuming you're a girl) to wear vest tops for the summer. How can t shirts be a no-no!? Poppycock!

(2) balck trainers are dodgy

(3) so are hoodies unless you're no older than 20

(4) a nice margaret howell shirt with vintage 501XXs is a really nice simple look

(5) plain tee shirt, under plain dark navy slim fitting sweater with plain jeans and battered beige converse - that would be my basic guys wardrobe suggestion.
:flower:

Wow, lots of different opinions here! :wink:

I'm not too sure about vest tops either, but I think a basic hoodie can look good (and I'm over 20) :innocent:

What I need the most help with are jackets and shoes. He needs a nice winter coat, one that can be dressy but also dressed down with jeans and also a nice jacket. Any advice on what style to go for? He has very broad shoulders, but he's not very tall, so not anything that will make him look more bulky.

Besides new trainers he also needs a pair that's somewhere between casual and dressy, a little more dressed up than trainers, but not 'formal'.

Originally posted by Johnny@Oct 12 2004, 10:32 AM
Man, I must be the worst dressd guy out there, since I seem to break all of these rules!

Seriously though

(1) do NOT get your bf (assuming you're a girl) to wear vest tops for the summer. How can t shirts be a no-no!? Poppycock!

(2) balck trainers are dodgy

(3) so are hoodies unless you're no older than 20
[snapback]394691[/snapback]​
I agree. Especially about the black trainers. I've never seen a good-looking pair in my life, actually. :innocent:

Faust, you rule...again. :mohawk: :king: That's how you build a wardrobe, in my opinion. Some cheap (but not too cheap) basics, then gradually stock up on beautiful, stand-out designer pieces.

Originally posted by AlexN@Oct 12 2004, 11:18 AM
Faust, you rule...again. :mohawk:  :king: That's how you build a wardrobe, in my opinion.  Some cheap (but not too cheap) basics, then gradually stock up on beautiful, stand-out designer pieces.
[snapback]394718[/snapback]​

Ah, thank you, thank you - we aim to please. :flower:

Caramel, sounds like your bf has the same body type as me, so I recommend a 3/4 coat in black or grey (I think a first anything should be black though, since it's such a universal color). Don't get anything long, it'll look silly. It has to end above the knee. I wouldn't know where to send you for it though. Try Filippa K. As far as shoes, I think boots are a must (maybe ankle boots), and I prefer round or rounded square toes. I really wouldn't know where to send you for shoes though. You must have some Oslo shopping guides on the internet or in print available, try those. I would take a trip to Copenhagen - it's becoming a very stylish city.

do you have TopShop

Please AVOID TopMan (topshop for men is called as such), the quality is apalling and the price is double H&M.

H&M is a lifesaver. I got a beautiful woolen scarf from H&M today, as nice as many a designer scarf, and it was only £5!

For a slouchy casual guy, the perfect slouchy casual jeans by A.P.C.:

Attachments

• APC_jeans_J.JPG
    APC_jeans_J.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 22
YES those are the best jeans ever! really, really good price for the quality too.

i have 2 pairs -- a nice pair that fits me that i wear with blazers and for dressier casual occasions that i dry clean to preserve the color. then i have a pair i bought one size up for a slouchy looser look. i've worn em for about a year and washed em only 4 times and now they have the coolest fade.

. . . i have one pair of prefaded ones that i wear and thats a pair of loose fit paper denims in the 2 year wash. i think pdc has some of the more authentic looking fades out of the plethora of designer prefaded jeans out there right now.

This is my boyfriend------------>
z20701881.jpg

He's 22, handsome, well built, and fashion-helpless. Last night he asked me to ask you girls on my forum to help him find some personal style. He requested some help to

-update his look
-find a manly, non metro style
-get up to date with what's in right now for men
-get great everyday casual wear

Can you ladies help my boyfriend? I love love love to hear what you gals think

What my husband does is basically go into Banana Republic or the Gap or wherever, and just buy whole outfits off the mannequin. :lol: Takes him about five seconds and he winds up looking fairly well put together. It's the classic male approach to shopping: no gathering or foraging, just find it, kill it, and take it home.

Haha you are so funny. I thought my boyfriend was more of a gap guy too

my husband has a simple rule when it comes to shopping:
buy anything thats on SALE. ahnd he sticks to solid colors.
he never brings me along. if he does, i tend to choose pastel-y shades, which he hates. the last time i went shopping with him i chose a lavender floral shirt which he said sent out too many gay-vibes. oh well.
now he hunts alone.
the last time he shopped at the agnes b sale, he got 2 long sleeve shirts in white and grey and a blue short sleeved shirt. all of the shirts are plain.
to me, they looked like some school uniform. i guess he likes the preppy style.
right now, he's on the hunt for white lizard skin loafers and a chunky belt (which he did find and bought - its a roberto cavalli!)

tinuvielberen said:
It's the classic male approach to shopping: no gathering or foraging, just find it, kill it, and take it home.

:rofl: brilliant.

Mine doesnt even like to try anything on. Then he gets frustrated when he gets home and nothing fits :lol:

Banana Republic sounds suitable for your man.
You could also go to Nordstrom, their service is excellent and they'll help you acheive whatever you need to.

The mannequin approach also sound very effective. hah.

He should just make a list of what he needs and then go about getting that and only that....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am061890
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->