Help my boyfriend?

Hi Shoexgal, thanks for posting the question! :flower:

I'm sorry you got little advice and a bunch of sexist comments that have nothing to do with your question...:innocent:...no offense :wink:

I think the faux hauk sounds great! I agree that he needs a more fitted t-shirt, perhaps in plain black for a start.

There are a whole variety of different stylish non-metro looks for men.
I think it's important that your guy feels comfortable and himself in his new look...

You may want to ask what kind of music he likes, what sports he likes, whom he admires style-wise, what do his friends wear, etc. You may find he's more of the preppy clean type who would suit Lacoste or more a hip type who may like Adidas, or a more classic style like Paul Smith may suit him better, he may even have a punk rocker hidden inside... just to list a few examples off the top of my head...any thoughts? You can sit down with him with a magazine too...hope it helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mel for sticking to the topic. Karma for you!

Myself and my boyfriend are following this forum to find new ways to dress him. Yes, he looks great in white tee's. He likes converse but I dont like when he wears them. hehe. I'll let him know you and the others advice.
Melisande said:
Hi Shoexgal, thanks for posting the question! :flower:

I'm sorry you got little advice and a bunch of sexist comments that have nothing to do with your question...:innocent:...no offense :wink:

I think the faux hauk sounds great! I agree that he needs a more fitted t-shirt, perhaps in plain black for a start.

There are a whole variety of different stylish non-metro looks for men.
I think it's important that your guy feels comfortable and himself in his new look...

You may want to ask what kind of music he likes, what sports he likes, whom he admires style-wise, what do his friends wear, etc. You may find he's more of the preppy clean type who would suit Lacoste or more a hip type who may like Adidas, or a more classic style like Paul Smith may suit him better, he may even have a punk rocker hidden inside... just to list a few examples off the top of my head...any thoughts? You can sit down with him with a magazine too...hope it helps!

sleazie ninja said:
I'm straight and I actually prefer shopping to women... Clothes are softer, more willing to do what YOU want, easier on the AMEX, more interesting, don't talk as much and don't mind if you burn them with your cigarette.

:ninja:

ha, ha, ha... this must be the funniest piece of post i have ever read at the tfs... i am a girl, not too sure of my straightness rate but i really have to agree i def. prefer shopping to men! clothes dont assume you are more stupid than them (as if there were many intelligent guys... what a joke!), you can have a more entertaining chat with clothes than with most men anyways and clothes have all far better manners than most straight guys i know.

and this damn priest in my area insist under no circumstances can i marry a Versus by Versace mini dress... wanker!:(

sleazie ninja said:
I'm straight and I actually prefer shopping to women... Clothes are softer, more willing to do what YOU want, easier on the AMEX, more interesting, don't talk as much and don't mind if you burn them with your cigarette.

:lol: - best post I've read yet

Why not try something traditional but fitted (neopolitan) silouette, but not skin tight of course. Something like this

Source: sartorialist

just got to NYC and visit 45RPM and Blue in Green stores and buy 2-3 pairs of jeans there. Then go to APC and buy everything else there, maybe a pair of jeans too.

z39564636.jpg

385065473_l.jpg

his outfit here is beyond, he needs a fabulous outfit dont you agree?

sleazie ninja said:

bwahahaha :clap::clap:

I second that.
So 4 straight guys by my count :P

I say, have him flip through a GQ...you'll get good ideas there...if he's well built, fitted anything will look great (plus if it makes him fill his sleeves with his big biceps it'll make him feel better about himself :lol:)

Yes he is very buff, he has man-pecs, and thank you I just signed him up for GQ for 2 years

Your guy doesn't look like a GQ style guy, so I dont think the overdressed look will work for him and actually feel comfortable in it. Let's face it, we want our men to look amazing just like the guys on the magazines, but in reality, only a few feel comfortable pulling off an outfit that consists of more than three pieces.

IMO, your guy looks like he should be wearing nice jeans, maybe some basic polos, and a sport coat, and some dressy kicks and dress shoes. I wouldn't push it too much, he seems too attached to his oakley backpack and cap :lol:

There's nothing better on a guy when he allures confidence and comfortability; its one of the best accesories.

Imagine someone that has never been exposed to that to just poof! and turn into runway material... I'd flip :lol:

Alejandro: hm well ur right but in this case it was HE who wanted to change...

Another straight guy chiming in. I have to agree that he doesn't look like much of a GQ overdressed guy or a fitted fashion person. I haven't seen much mention of budget but what would you think of a bit of a borderline military/punk look?

Take a look at the Nice Collective website and browse through their collections. It's a bit baggy with lots of layers but definitely carries the 'fashionable straight male' vibe with some rockstar undertones.

Note: The site hasn't been updated with the S/S 06 collection.

saka said:
Alejandro: hm well ur right but in this case it was HE who wanted to change...

You're right, but we can aim too high for someone that has never been exposed to menswear in a higher level than tees, flip flops and kicks. Learn the basics, then graduate to higher levels. That's one of the reasons why men don't shop so often, they're scared of what's out there and they're afraid to experiment cause they're lost in translation. Only a few can digest and organize themselves and pull a look off a magazine.

Help me help my boyfriend

Although my boyfriend is hot stuff (at least I think so!) already, he's been trying to get a little more adventurous with his warbrode, and has been asking me for my advice. The thing is, I don't have the greatest eye for men's fashion.

He's got the typical male problem of either not thinking about fashion at all (i.e., t-shirt and jeans) or going for something that is a really cool piece, but doesn't suit him at all. Plus, he has trouble building outfits.

He's an artist an had to go to a lot of studio visits and parties and openings and stuff, so he has to look the part, to a certain extent, but... he's not a skinny guy. He's tall, wears a size 14 shoe, and is built a little large. So, the whole adrogynous hipster thing doesn't exactly work. He actually looks a lot better in J-Crew and other preppy stuff, but it doesn't exactly fit his personality.

Any tips or inspiration for helping me help him create a look?

he can evolve into a preppy/grunge kind of look. you can do this by mixing interesting t shirts with graphics that reflect his person style...jeans, preferably a dark wash that will help create more of a professional look, or slightly distressed jeans that would bring the look 'down' more...and then of course a few blazers would help close the deal with this new wardrobe...plain blazers, detailed blazers, and interesting blazers with unique details...also he can differentiate the look by switching between a pair of well made leather shoes or fashionable sneakers

a. graphic tee
b. blazer
c. jeans
d. either fabulous shoes
e. or cool sneakers

You can 'artsy' up typical preppy menswear pretty easily with the right accesories. I would say put him in some classic stuff, a basic (well fitting) jean, a crsip shirt and a sweater. Then get him some wayfarer glasses, converse Jack Purcells, and some kind of big canvas carryall (messenger or tote, whatever hes comfortable with). The beauty of basic pieces from places like J Crew is that because they are so basic and unoffensive they allow the wearer to really define what the piece is going to look like. Personally I would stay far away from the graphic tee and blazer combo, it is incredibly over done. To me a well dressed man is basic, never asking for attention, but still incredibly stylish and cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am061890
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->