Hijab Chic

#487 post really is an awesome pic.

In Middle East, most foreigners do wear hijab to blend in and out of respect for the local culture. And I think its something very modest and stylish in itself, just think of it as yet another accessory.
That depends very much on the country you're visiting, I think. I'm kind of torn on that subject because I don't think it would be respectful if I wore something that belongs to their religion. Of course I would wear it if I was visiting a mosque, that goes without saying :lol: But if the locals thought it would be more respectful to wear it then of course. I just don't know if they would, they probably respect my religion as much as I respect theirs.

I think we have a thread on this subject in Personal Style.

I'm going to Turkey in August and I probably won't wear a hijab except at the Mosque, it would just be odd I think.

I really love the outfits that girls in #496 are wearing! They look so put together, stylish, and still following their religious beliefs. So wonderful to see. This might sound like a stereotype or something but pretty much all the muslim girls at my school have impeccable style. I have so much respect for how they make everything look so chic.

And The Ida, I completely understand what you mean in your last post. I'm torn at times too about what to do when visiting a foreign country. I suppose the best thing to do is do some research about the place you are going to find out what is expected of tourists and then choose to wear a headscarf or not. As for Turkey, from what I've herd it's pretty liberal for the most part so I don't think locals would frown upon you for not wearing a hijab (well except for when you are visiting a Mosque... thats a must!). But it also depends where you travel in each country because in some places people care more then others.

I do think it's mostly older women who wear the chador, right? It used to be worn at funerals as far as I know...

Yeah, I believe it's mainly older women or women from extremely religious families. It's also required at some holy sites, of course.

Here are some hijabesque pictures from Vogue Germany, November 2010

HijabScarf+%281%29.jpg

HijabScarf+%282%29.jpg

HijabScarf+%283%29.jpg

HijabScarf+%284%29.jpg

HijabScarf+%285%29.jpg

credit: Vogue Germany scan from hijab-scarf.com ... full credits from their page:
Model: Liu Wen (Marilyn)
Editorial: Wild Dreams
Photographer: Greg Kadel
Source: Warrent Satt (via Facebook)

Greg Kadel is so good at shooting layering.

Yoninah I'm going to Antalya which is pretty touristy, so I'm only doing it at the Mosque. I think it would be pretty out of place since they're so used to foreigners, it would be more weird than respectful :lol:

^Yes in that instance I suppose you are right, no need to stick out even more so as a tourist! :lol: And have a great time in Turkey ^_^

This a really insightful thread. I went through half of it and it's great to be able to read about so many different styles and everybody's comments are very interesting .

I found this photo( I know it's not exactly hijab, but it reminded me of it in a way)

source. fashionizing

I really love the outfits that girls in #496 are wearing! They look so put together, stylish, and still following their religious beliefs. So wonderful to see. This might sound like a stereotype or something but pretty much all the muslim girls at my school have impeccable style. I have so much respect for how they make everything look so chic.

And The Ida, I completely understand what you mean in your last post. I'm torn at times too about what to do when visiting a foreign country. I suppose the best thing to do is do some research about the place you are going to find out what is expected of tourists and then choose to wear a headscarf or not. As for Turkey, from what I've herd it's pretty liberal for the most part so I don't think locals would frown upon you for not wearing a hijab (well except for when you are visiting a Mosque... thats a must!). But it also depends where you travel in each country because in some places people care more then others.

Well, as you said it dépends very much on in which country you go to visit ...
For instance, if you go to Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, I suggest that you were a Niqab in public ... But, then in the compounds you can do whatever you want ... People in private are more free than the clichés ....
But, for instance, if you go to Qatar, UAE or Bahrein (probably things have changed since last time I visited Bahrein) you don't have to wear any Niqab or Hijab or veil - if you are not Muslim. Just respect the values of these countries and do not wear short shorts and décolleté in public or in malls. I remember I was very shocked by some foreign teenagers hanging in malls in Dubai. They were wearing make-up outrageously and short skirts I have never even seen in Europe (but here in the USA the short short shorts seem ok ... For a country where Topless may shock, I don't understand how 13yrs old girls may wear such tiny shorts, sometimes they look like panties ! The worst is when they are seating in the metro ! OMG ! But I guess that's just a trend when you're a teen girl) ...

Hahah I agree BerlinRocks on the shorts thing - it is definitely a North American thing - I don't get it at all, when I was twelve Adidas track pants were all the rage, not booty shorts!!

Back on topic though ...I, as a Muslim, would never be insulted if a non-Muslim wanted to wear a hijab or even a niqab, for whatever reason - I remember reading an article with Jill Scott, and she said that she sometimes wore a hijab in public because then no-one recognized her and she could walk around freely!! Maybe more celebrities should try it!

I should also add, in especially Arab Muslim countries, wearing a hijab does NOT mean that people automatically assume you are Muslim - call it ethnocentrism, but when non-Arab Muslim friends of mine were visiting Arab countries, and wore the hijab, they were asked CONSTANTLY - "are you Muslim?" I told them to just say no, I'm just having a bad hair day.:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Iranian women wear head scarves because they are forced too, let's get that straight. They're subject to very hard sentences if they don't - so are tourists. That's why I have a problem with posting pictures of them in this thread. (

I have to agree with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pappagallo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->