Holt Renfrew rips off House of Holland

thesiren

Reaction score
Sure we're not ALL nuts about the HOH t-shirts. That said, the idea is quirky, fun and somewhat original, so if a kid can make a quick buck and a lot of buzz off of them, who are we to knock him?

It seems the visual department over at Holt Renfrew are BIG fans of HOH.

I was in the denim department today, only to be in awe at the complete, blatant RIP OFF they've done of HOH with their spring denim campaign.

Things like, "Tom, Dick and Rock & Republic" and other garbage were plastered on things. Besides that, the font was the exact same as the font HOH uses, and they also implemented the clashing, bright color schemes. :shock:

At first I thought maybe it was a collaboration with HOH, so I inquired with a SA, but she had no clue what was going on. Her response was, "Yeah...corporate comes up with this stuff..."

Errr...sure they do...

What's funny is that you're surprised. It is Holt's, after all. If you expect them to actually do something original, then move out of the country, because that my dear will NEVER happen.

aww,and i love those expressions too! so completely witty and original. maybe somebody should let them know as i'm sure they're unaware of this.

isn't the entire high street ripping off house of holland? i'm pretty sure i've seen tees like those around at topshop and mango too :unsure:

What's funny is that you're surprised. It is Holt's, after all. If you expect them to actually do something original, then move out of the country, because that my dear will NEVER happen.

actually holts is a lot more fashion foward than major american department stores. they chance it on new designers, which is something i've never seen an american store of their calliber do. the mere list of designers featured on their website (while not available in every location) is a huge step up from what is available at barneys, saks and the like.

^saddly..it is canada. even if the store give young designers a chance, the shoppers dont give a damn.
like astatine said, arent there alot of people ripping off HOH, and holt has been up tight with the trends and stuff for a long time now...
no surprise really

the thing is ... HOH isnt exactly the most original thing in the world.

its just picking up where katherine hamnett left it with her 80's slogan t-shirts... and stella mcartney did some cockney rhyming slang pieces for her 2nd collection i think it was so .. he isnt the first and he certainly wont be the last.. hes just another kid in the london club scene that was trying to push the whole early nineties thing and this was the easiest way to go with it really

and yes.. everyone has ripped him off..

Just passed by it. Either I'm blind (which actually I am slightly in the right eye) or they took it down.

isn't the entire high street ripping off house of holland? i'm pretty sure i've seen tees like those around at topshop and mango too :unsure:
True, most of those high street fashion practically live on stealing designs. I love HOH and their clever little slogans... "Get your freak on, Giles Deacon", "Cause me pain, Heidi Slimane" "UHU Gareth Pugh"... I love the one says thats "Do me daily, Christopher Bailey" :rofl:

Yes, HOH is a cheeky lightweight 'update' of the original Katherine Hamnett block letter slogan T, though at least she tried to use the novelty of her idea to highlight issues, which at the time had an impact. I can't imagine anyone wearing a HOH T-shirt to meet the leader of their country and make their point clear, like Katherine did.

it's good that i ran into this thread, because house of holland was a brief topic of conversation between a coworker of mine and myself, and i expected that we weren'e the only ones.

what started it was seeing H&M's tribuites to the t-shirts, and just today I saw the knocked-off at bluenotes (with considerably safer slogans in both cases). quite clearly the next big craze. I even see people makng the t-shirts themselves, diy-style.

Hey everyone, I'm new here; this is my first post. : )

There is a DIY for the HoH tees in the most recent issue of TEENVogue.

I too like to support a quirky idea, but the only slight problem that I have is that the tshirts are $95 USD at Seven New York, and the slogans are simply silk-screened onto American Apparel tshirts... and we all know how comparatively cheap AA tshirts are!

Additionally, Henry hasn't created a slogan for one of my favourite (but currently slightly out of the limelight) designers - Tom Ford.

Thus, I plan on making a slongan tshirt myself that incorporates his name!

; )

Just passed by it. Either I'm blind (which actually I am slightly in the right eye) or they took it down.

Which Holt's did you go to? I know they definately still have it up at the Bloor St. one on the 3rd floor (given that I practically live there)...:P

I agree. Holt's is just plain terrible. They can't decide whether they are an older fuddy duddy store, or something young and hip. The only reason they get by is the fact that they have massive buying power and for a long time were the only places carrying some of these brands. That'll be changing. I just hate the markups and the attitude of the SA's there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rtdrone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->