It's My Style and I'm Sticking to It

I don't think I ever attempted commiting to a certain style, I have practically all sorts of clothes in all kinds of colours, prints and design. However, I know what I look good in so I stick with them. I am very petite so I know to avoid skirts of pants that falls just below the knees. Of late, I noticed I am "adapting" a simpler wardrobe; block colours, neutrals, pants, pencil skirts, plain tops et al. I think they give me lesser trouble in figuring out what to wear next, I'm growing lazy...

I'm only 18, so I feel like I don't have to commit to any specific personal style just yet. I just wear what I like. Over the years, my style has become more specific, more streamlined, but that was just a natural evolution. I think the development of a personal style comes with maturity a lot of the time.

My sister, who is 22 and just graduated from college, used to be ALL over the place with her style. However, in the past year or two, she really has developed a unique, specific style -- early '60s, Mad Men-inspired with a modern, chic twist so it's not at all retro. She wears a lot of purple and really only buys things in rich, saturated jewel tones. This was not any kind of strategy -- her style just developed this way naturally.

I figure I don't need to make any effort to "develop and commit" to a personal style because it will come naturally with age.

The maturing makes sense. I am curious, however, is it an overall look that she portrays (using back the whitney eg. cute) but with very different daily looks(girly dresses, boyfriend blazers, very casual-almost sloppy tights)? Or is she very constant? You mentioned colour but what about separate pieces and silhouette?

I guess I am slightly weird-ed out myself. I identify with a lot of similar looking looks that don't quite mesh in my mind. I like simplicity, lines, classic, basic stuff. I guess style icon wise, it would be something like Jo(audrey hepburn's character in funny face), carolyn besette kenedy and sofia coppola. But they're so different as well despite the same clean stuff. I mean Jo is slightly gamine/childish/boyish-cute, CBK is very casual posh(as in, even when she's casual, she looks smart and clean and neat and put together. and when she's in formal wear, she looks very comfortable and not dressed up at all.) and SC's more casual/comfortable. And then I'm attracted to the occasional bling bling or pretty dresses and patterns when it's worn on someone like clemence poesy or kirsten dunst.

Makes me feel kinda fake sometimes. Like I question if what I like is my own, or am I just following/emulating other people because there's so little consistency, looks wise, silhouette wise and individual pieces wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too would say that with time comes the ability to differenciate what you know looks good on you and forgo trends. Even though I would consider my personal style as unbalanced, I can look at a piece and know automatically if it will do me justice. This isn't to say that I don't take the plunge and try something on to see if it will have some magical effect on me.

Committing to a style can come about in different ways, be it being something that one likes, being something that one sticks to because it's 'safe' or due to a person being stuck in a style rut.

Many celebs have stylists who dress them for various occassions to give them as you mentioned a certain 'look'.

I think knowing what works on you is commitment in itself. :flower:

The maturing makes sense. I am curious, however, is it an overall look that she portrays (using back the whitney eg. cute) but with very different daily looks(girly dresses, boyfriend blazers, very casual-almost sloppy tights)? Or is she very constant? You mentioned colour but what about separate pieces and silhouette?

I guess I am slightly weird-ed out myself. I identify with a lot of similar looking looks that don't quite mesh in my mind. I like simplicity, lines, classic, basic stuff. I guess style icon wise, it would be something like Jo(audrey hepburn's character in funny face), carolyn besette kenedy and sofia coppola. But they're so different as well despite the same clean stuff. I mean Jo is slightly gamine/childish/boyish-cute, CBK is very casual posh(as in, even when she's casual, she looks smart and clean and neat and put together. and when she's in formal wear, she looks very comfortable and not dressed up at all.) and SC's more casual/comfortable. And then I'm attracted to the occasional bling bling or pretty dresses and patterns when it's worn on someone like clemence poesy or kirsten dunst.

Makes me feel kinda fake sometimes. Like I question if what I like is my own, or am I just following/emulating other people because there's so little consistency, looks wise, silhouette wise and individual pieces wise.

audrey hepburn's character in funny face is very famously called Holly Golightly...a name she gave herself after having moved to NYC...
her real name was Lulamae Barnes...

i can only think that you mean KATHERINE HEPBURN...(not audrey)...
and her character Jo...
from LITTLE WOMEN?...
:unsure:...

maybe this is why you are having trouble choosing a style?...
:wink:...:P...

**anyway---
thread merged with pre-existing thread on this topic...

:flower:

Holly Golighty is from Breakfast At Tiffany's. :wink: Funny Face is the one with Fred Astaire.

:rofl:...
schooled!!!...
:lol:...

that's right!...
maybe it's ME that has trouble choosing...

after all...
i'm the one with the schizo style...
*but that's a whole other thread...
:innocent:...

:P

I rather like the idea of having one style and signature item in my wardrobe however I haven't quite figured out what mine might be yet. For the longest time I always wore scarves, I mean even before everyone else was, but now I don't know. It just seems like everyone is wearing them and I appear to be a follower, which I really don't looking like. So the search continues until I find the perfect style for me. I know what I like however I still haven't found the right items to make me stick to one style.

but but but, softgrey, you're consistently schizo! I'm trying to find a good picture of jo stockton(audrey's character) when she goes to paris. she wear an all black ensemble with a beige coat or jacket of sorts.

yoninahaliza, i think if you love wearing scarves you should continue. fashion is always looking for its own next big thing so it'll move on soon enough.

I know that something you love can become boring when to many people wear it or you don't want to look like you're just another follower, but it's not any fun to have to avoid things you like.

but but but, softgrey, you're consistently schizo! I'm trying to find a good picture of jo stockton(audrey's character) when she goes to paris. she wear an all black ensemble with a beige coat or jacket of sorts.

yoninahaliza, i think if you love wearing scarves you should continue. fashion is always looking for its own next big thing so it'll move on soon enough.

ok---well at least that's something....i guess...

yeah- i know the look you mean..
blk t-nk, blk narrow pant to the ankle, penny loafers, a line short trench...etc...
classic beatnik, intellectual late 50's/early 60's style...
baby bangs, pony tail...
who doesn't love that!?...
^_^...

I know that something you love can become boring when to many people wear it or you don't want to look like you're just another follower, but it's not any fun to have to avoid things you like.
agreed...
what i tend to do if this happens (and it happens on a regular basis) is put the trendy item away for awhile....
then, when everyone else has moved on to the 'next' thing...
i pull my 'old' thing back out ...
and enjoy...

:D

audrey hepburn's character in funny face is very famously called Holly Golightly...a name she gave herself after having moved to NYC...
her real name was Lulamae Barnes...

i can only think that you mean KATHERINE HEPBURN...(not audrey)...
and her character Jo...
from LITTLE WOMEN?...
:unsure:...

maybe this is why you are having trouble choosing a style?...
:wink:...:P...

**anyway---
thread merged with pre-existing thread on this topic...

???

I don't know if it is the the whole "nuances of language can not translate well online" thing?

^^^what's your question exactly?
we've already established that i was clearly out of my mind when i posted that and completely wrong...
too much info swirling around in my brain and getting me mixed up i guess...

love the old old old adam ant avatar btw...:P

ok---well at least that's something....i guess...

yeah- i know the look you mean..
blk t-nk, blk narrow pant to the ankle, penny loafers, a line short trench...etc...
classic beatnik, intellectual late 50's/early 60's style...
baby bangs, pony tail...
who doesn't love that!?...
^_^...

yeah. only problem. i look like a cosmetic counter lady when i try to wear a black on black.:rolleyes:

^^^what's your question exactly?
we've already established that i was clearly out of my mind when i posted that and completely wrong...
too much info swirling around in my brain and getting me mixed up i guess...

love the old old old adam ant avatar btw...:P

Sorry, I hope I did not offend, was just confused at that moment...must of skipped the messages in the interim.

Re: Jubilee era Adam Ant - I knew I liked you. :flower: :wink:

Sorry, I hope I did not offend, was just confused at that moment...must of skipped the messages in the interim.

Re: Jubilee era Adam Ant - I knew I liked you. :flower: :wink:

awww...:blush:

OT- adam ant style chart

:ninja:...dirk wears white sox...

:argg:...kings of the wild frontier...

:zorro:...prince charming...

:mohawk:...

^_^...no one will get this but you sprigged....:lol:...

Good idea, I think I will put my scarves away for the moment then when no one else is wearing them again I'll pull them out again. This gives me the opprotunity to find other looks which I like for myself anyways... :smile:

yay yoni!...:clap:
let us know if you find anything good...:wink:

yeah. only problem. i look like a cosmetic counter lady when i try to wear a black on black.:rolleyes:

this cannot be true...:P

we have a thread about wearing black...
'how do you wear black...'
'all black all the time...'
something like that...
why don't you have a search for it...?
maybe you'll find some useful stuff in there...
it's a good topic...

awww...:blush:

OT- adam ant style chart

:ninja:...dirk wears white sox...

:argg:...kings of the wild frontier...

:zorro:...prince charming...

:mohawk:...

^_^...no one will get this but you sprigged....:lol:...

:rofl:

...I feel a Digital Tendernes towards Tfs, so
...I am going to stand up and deliver a jolly roger...
....They may ridicule me, but it's nothing to be scared of....

...Just like Antics in the forbidden zone! :ninja:

Ah, feel better out there Stuart....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yohjiyamamotor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->