Ivy League/Preppy Style

I want to have suspender-ed short shorts .....

BTW, can someone give me a definition of preppy? Isn't it the Holister, Abcrombie kids' world or what?

Couture_Tribe said:
I want to have suspender-ed short shorts .....

BTW, can someone give me a definition of preppy? Isn't it the Holister, Abcrombie kids' world or what?

no that's the "high schooler" definition of preppy.

Preppy is more like Jcrew/ Ralph Lauren. Old money American look.

I suppose preppy is my style. But I don't take it too far. I always add distinctive touches. Yesterday, for instance, I was wearing black skinnies, a white babydoll top and black ballet flats. But I wore a military jacket instead of a cardigan.

^to me that isn't preppy at all, neither skinnies nor babydolls :flower:

Actually I've been wearing ballet flats since I was 12, I hope this trend is over soon because I hate seeing everyone wearing "my" shoes :ninja:
btw: Is anyone wearing Timberland boat shoes?

Ballet flats are a current trend? Well...I've been wearing them my whole life. And talking about babydolls, it depends, I admit that some are not preppy at all, but look at this one by Chloé:

6cpd4qe.jpg

Isn't that preppy? Well if not, maybe I misunderstood the concept.

i always love the preppy look. but especially how it has evolved from decade to decade. the 90s were a particularly interesting preppy decade. chloe sevigny chanels that one.

Allure said:
Ballet flats are a current trend? Well...I've been wearing them my whole life.

I don't know where you're from, or how old you are, but I graduated high school before I even heard of people wearing Ballet flats. In the nineties, no one wore them- so to me, they've been out of style, they're in style now, and they'll probably go out of style again.

the same thing with skinny jeans- they were not cool in the nineties- they were considered "dated" it takes a little age to have perspective about these things (not that I'm very old)

Allure said:
And talking about babydolls, it depends, I admit that some are not preppy at all, but look at this one by Chloé:
Isn't that preppy? Well if not, maybe I misunderstood the concept

I think you are thinking of something completely different from what I think of as preppy. When I think preppy, I think of the following elements

buttondown shirts with everything
Sweatervests
v neck sweaters.
Cable knit sweaters
loafers,
argyle prints,
pleated skirts
Collared Polo shirts
Navy blue blazers.
plaid

^^That's exactly what I think of when I hear prep!!

I dunno - are ballet flats really a trend? My mum has been wearing them since I can think

^ yeah I also remember lots of esp. a little bit elder ladys wearing them since I can remember, they used to be in this chanel style, if I'm not wrong...
maybe that's a european thing :ermm:

i love love the classic preppy look. This includes madra plaid shorts. Shorts unfortunately don't look good on me (since i'm bigger than i would enjoy! in the thigh area) but i saw this girl on the weekend at the mall (granted she was a teen) wearing a lovely pair with a polo shirt and a headband. a great preppy look. I'm now determined to find a pair that fits!

stilettogirl84 said:
I don't know where you're from, or how old you are, but I graduated high school before I even heard of people wearing Ballet flats. In the nineties, no one wore them- so to me, they've been out of style, they're in style now, and they'll probably go out of style again.

the same thing with skinny jeans- they were not cool in the nineties- they were considered "dated" it takes a little age to have perspective about these things (not that I'm very old)

I think you are thinking of something completely different from what I think of as preppy. When I think preppy, I think of the following elements

buttondown shirts with everything
Sweatervests
v neck sweaters.
Cable knit sweaters
loafers,
argyle prints,
pleated skirts
Collared Polo shirts
Navy blue blazers.
plaid

Thanks for clearing that up :flower: . Now, I understand what you mean by preppy. My concept was more general.

those are more preppy- though not the kind of preppy that I want to wear

they're almost too much (just my opinion)

^I think most of the outfits are actually sports (golf) wear :ninja:

^Yeah some are :D
It's not my dream style either but some pieces are nice and I couldn't find any other pics :( Stilettogirl, do you have some you could post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->