John Galliano - Designer, Creative Director of Maison Margiela

I finally saw it too and I'm happy that I did. The scene where he visits the Dior archive really moved me and only emphasized what an enormous impact the death of Steven Robinson continues to have on him - I thought that was quite tragic to see actually. All the archival footage was amazing to see of course...I don't think we've ever seen that much footage from his inspirational trips or from his toille fittings, such a treat. All that looked very joyous and showed the love for storytelling and beauty...there was a small montage of him doing his famous hot air balloon flight over Egypt and then showing the birth of one of the looks from sketch to runway...loved seeing stuff like that. It's all the things I fell for all those years ago.

But then it's contrasted with him being absolutely hammered backstage during post-show interviews and it all gets painful. The bit around the Fall 2003 couture show which happened a few days after burrying his father was incredibly sad to see and hear. Especially from a personal pov, because that's the show that pulled me into fashion and will forever be my favorite show in history for that fact. Really painful to see.

For me, this documentary is not about establishing once and for all wether or not he's a racist or antisemite. Or wether or not he deserves forgiveness. It's a real rise and fall story set against a backdrop of an ever-changing, ever-demanding industry and culture and the toll it can have on those living in that world. The performative aspect of John's character was definitely fully on display as mentioned here before, and that too was sometimes hard to watch. Ultimately, the question of wether one can support (and long for) his rehabilitation while continuing to condemn what he said and did at the same time is an interesting moral dilemma posed to the viewer...and to the industry as a whole. The industry seems to have made up its mind. The jury might still be out on what the public thinks, though, and it's hard to gauge how this doc will steer that.

I finally saw it too and I'm happy that I did. The scene where he visits the Dior archive really moved me and only emphasized what an enormous impact the death of Steven Robinson continues to have on him - I thought that was quite tragic to see actually. All the archival footage was amazing to see of course...I don't think we've ever seen that much footage from his inspirational trips or from his toille fittings, such a treat. All that looked very joyous and showed the love for storytelling and beauty...there was a small montage of him doing his famous hot air balloon flight over Egypt and then showing the birth of one of the looks from sketch to runway...loved seeing stuff like that. It's all the things I fell for all those years ago.

But then it's contrasted with him being absolutely hammered backstage during post-show interviews and it all gets painful. The bit around the Fall 2003 couture show which happened a few days after burrying his father was incredibly sad to see and hear. Especially from a personal pov, because that's the show that pulled me into fashion and will forever be my favorite show in history for that fact. Really painful to see.

For me, this documentary is not about establishing once and for all wether or not he's a racist or antisemite. Or wether or not he deserves forgiveness. It's a real rise and fall story set against a backdrop of an ever-changing, ever-demanding industry and culture and the toll it can have on those living in that world. The performative aspect of John's character was definitely fully on display as mentioned here before, and that too was sometimes hard to watch. Ultimately, the question of wether one can support (and long for) his rehabilitation while continuing to condemn what he said and did at the same time is an interesting moral dilemma posed to the viewer...and to the industry as a whole. The industry seems to have made up its mind. The jury might still be out on what the public thinks, though, and it's hard to gauge how this doc will steer that.
But isn’t the question about his rehabilitation already settled?
People who loves his work will always find a way to defend their position around people who don’t Iove him anyway.

I feel like the idea of the film itself is just a PR Campaign from Anna Wintour because I’m convinced she wants to do a Galliano exhibition.

She did one for her friend Karl and she will do an exhibition for John. And I see all of it as part of a campaign.

The reality of our world is that we are full of paradox and sometimes hypocrites.

I love John’s work, he is a complex character like most creatives are. I don’t think if I’m invested enough to believe if he is antisemitic or racist when the community he offended seems to have forgive him. I don’t find him genuine but is it relevant?
We have seen the mass Kanye West got for years in both music and fashion circles.

I feel like when we love someone’s work, our opinions are biaised anyway.

so the rumours that the met gala theme was a last-minute backup were true. anna originally wanted to stage a galliano retrospective but the organisers said not yet... she is really batting for him
how come last minute back up? if the theme is a year or two in advance given to the brands and involved parties

how come last minute back up? if the theme is a year or two in advance given to the brands and involved parties
this is the email i received from dana thomas (part of a weekly newsletter). i'm willing to bet the documentary was planned way in advance to facilitate this exhibition. total set-up.

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 00.33.41.png
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 00.33.44.png

Last edited:
From what I hear, John isn’t big on looking back at his collections or self-referencing.

I can understand him seeing a retrospective as more of an “I deserve this” rather than wanting the stage again.

literally the exact same, ten years apart lmao

e73ecb92ab92218db98ca9e288205909.jpg
6c8a7024151d3291628cfe0f51ce86b7.jpg

^ Pretty sure there were a fair few looks from the Fall 2022 Couture show that are near exact replicas from these two collections just without the embroideries too.

Galliano loves to reference. That's part of his ethos so looking back and being rather "nostalgic" is second nature to him. Does put into perspective as well with the release date of the Tubi documentary being near the Met Gala time. "The First Monday in May" doco even devoted a fair share of time and visuals on Galliano too so not surprised with Anna wanting a Galliano exhibit.

There's also this one dress from his FW04 Couture show for Dior that looks suspiciously Egyptian...
Dior FW04.jpg
Source: Vogue Runway

There's also this one dress from his FW04 Couture show for Dior that looks suspiciously Egyptian...
View attachment 1268226
Source: Vogue Runway
in fairness i don't think this one has any connection to the previous show.... the fall 2004 collection was inspired by austro-hungarian royalty/empress sisi, and the emblem on the front of the dress is actually austria's official coat of arms lmao

I'm dying to watch that documentary ! It's not available on Prime in France ... Ugh ! Can you guys imagine if John came back to Givenchy or something ? I like Margiela but it's nothing compared to the unbridled romanticism he's capable of !

and some of you tried telling me that john doesn't want to be in the limelight anymore! the guy literally cannot leave the stage. now i 100% believe him and anna are lobbying for a return to LVMH in some form.
It all sounds more like Anna counting her days and doing everything that she thinks her dear friend deserves.
Im not excited at all about such retrospective - selection will be questionable as in that awful book or on past Dior exhibitions

It all sounds more like Anna counting her days and doing everything that she thinks her dear friend deserves.
Im not excited at all about such retrospective - selection will be questionable as in that awful book or on past Dior exhibitions
anna wintour is the last person i'd expect to have the encyclopaedic fashion knowledge necessary to make this retrospective worth any of our time, but i trust andrew bolton to be enough of a fanboy that he'd heavlly spotlight john's early work and his namesake label. you're right that there are some dior collections that just simply don't need nor deserve anymore attention (anything after 2007). we need to bring the old girls out of retirement. his work at the house from 1997 to 2006 is sublime.

^ Pretty sure there were a fair few looks from the Fall 2022 Couture show that are near exact replicas from these two collections just without the embroideries too.
yeah all the balenciaga babydoll dresses from that show are pretty much lifted from that specific period of his tenure, and the opera coats are straight out of the rené gruau couture collection (spring 2011 HC)...

Honestly, and I've said this before, a Galliano Met show would become their biggest best-selling show ever. There will be backlash, but it will be trumped by hype and hysteria. Just look at how the internet ate up the Artisanal show and cried for his genius. If it's true that it was already in the works for this year, then I'm willing to put money on 2026.

@Mr-Dale I wonder how well the Karl exhibit did. I visited it on two different days (lol) and the crowds I was with seemed to really like it. I can see Galliano being really successful, like you said. The other Met exhibit I've seen (Notes on Camp... mess) didn't seem to have the same crowd reaction (that I witnessed) as the Karl one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frikandel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->