• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Jonathan Saunders for Target

retrogurl

Reaction score
Could Jonathan Saunders be the next designer to create a collection for Target?

According to industry sources, the Scottish designer is in talks with the Minneapolis-based retailer to produce a limited-edition collection for Target’s GO International range, which spotlights new names in the fashion industry.

If a collection does go ahead, Saunders would be following in the footsteps of Erin Featherston, Alice Temperley, Proenza Schouler, Luella Bartley and Loeffler Randall, who have all designed collections for the store.

Saunders declined to comment Tuesday, while a spokeswoman for Target could not be reached for comment.

Saunders, who is known for his inventive prints, is no stranger to cheap chic: His latest collection for the British high street retailer Topshop features jersey dresses printed with bold, primary color shapes. It will hit stores in the U.K. later this month. Saunders is also leaving London’s runways to show his fall 2008 collection during New York Fashion Week.

via WWD

i am so completely uninterested...
so sad...:(

I would love this but, for some reason, I doubt it'll happen. Target Australia even seems like a more likely candidate.

This is a great way to break into the US market without having to do a full on fashion show.

yeah the designers they've had so far have been perfect for this kind platform....but this...it would be like asking hussein chalayan to design a home collection for pier 1 imports....please.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an interesting choice to say the least, but I think it's a great opportunity for Jonathan to gain recognition in the American market.

yeah the designers they've had so far have been perfect for this kind platform....but this...it would be like asking hussein chalayan to design a home collection for pier 1 imports....please.

Oooh, I like that! Good point!

I think it's sort of a great collab. Saunders is know for his prints and it's easier to recreate prints with cheap fabric than it is to, say, recreated fantastic tailoring with cheap fabrics and sweatshop-like conditions.

In any case, let's just hope his designs are more exciting than recent Target collections. :ninja: I feel like their past few collaborations have been less than spectacular.

i just think perhaps there would be other ways to attract the american market. he's considered to be an true innovator and heading straight to the masses seems to be a cheap tactic....or rather a sell out. and i really don't think his work would be that successful especially given the types of markets that are out there. i mean the general middle america probably wouldn't get his printwork and his amazing construction at all which essentially is where target acquires much of their revenue. i mean it would seem to be clever for those of us who know his work but that's probably where it ends.

i just think perhaps there would be other ways to attract the american market. he's considered to be an true innovator and heading straight to the masses seems to be a cheap tactic....or rather a sell out. and i really don't think his work would be that successful especially given the types of markets that are out there. i mean the general middle america probably wouldn't get his printwork and his amazing construction at all which essentially is where target acquires much of their revenue. i mean it would seem to be clever for those of us who know his work but that's probably where it ends.
I think you're underestimating the intelligence of middle-america. Just because someone doesn't live in a big city doesn't mean that they don't have taste. And even if someone doesn't have an incredible knowledge of high-fashion construction, it doesn't mean they can't appreciate a well made garmet. Middle america understood Proenza-Schouler and Temperley. Why wouldn't they understand this? I think your type of snobbery is exactly what Target trys so hard to fight.

^ Excellent, excellent post. I'm sick and tired of people assuming Americans can't understand anything 'different.' I'm an American, and look at my posts. I think I have a good idea of what 'amazing construction' goes on his work.

^ Excellent, excellent post. I'm sick and tired of people assuming Americans can't understand anything 'different.' I'm an American, and look at my posts. I think I have a good idea of what 'amazing construction' goes on his work.

I have noticed a lot of negative generalizations about Americans on TFS. It really does get old after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aeroplvne
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->