lee12.jpg

lee13.jpg

lee14.jpg

lee18.jpg

lee21.jpg

lee25.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
vogue.com

Countless models have had their careers promoted in the pages of Condé Nast magazines. Far fewer can claim to have been discovered by the company's founder and namesake himself. But the day in 1927 that Mr. Nast pulled the 20-year-old Lee Miller from the path of an oncoming car, her career took off. The blond, blue-eyed Valkyrie from Poughkeepsie, N.Y., was photographed for Vogue by Edward Steichen, who in turn wrote her a letter of introduction to Man Ray, with whom she would study and have a tempestuous affair. The artist wasn't her only famous lover; Charlie Chaplin, too, is rumored to be on the list. While Miller was in Paris, Jean Cocteau cast her as an armless statue in his movie Le Sang d'un Poète, Pablo Picasso painted her several times (she, in turn, took several photographs of him), and a glass manufacturer cast a champagne goblet from her breast.
Her allure was captured in the words of the photojournalist John Phillips, who called her "an American free spirit wrapped in the body of a Greek goddess." And in fact, she was a woman of as much substance as style. In London at the outbreak of World War II, she ignored evacuation orders to photograph the times for Vogue. As a correspondent for the U.S. Army, she shot the siege of Saint-Malo and the liberations of Buchenwald, Dachau, and Paris. After the war, she gradually abandoned her camera for a rural life in East Sussex, England, as the wife of artist and biographer Sir Roland Penrose. But her exploits live on in Carolyn Burke's new biography, Lee Miller: A Life (Knopf, $35).

This thread is really good. I appreciate the whole antique feel when I'm in here. I can see today's photography in many of those pictures. Quite historical!:cool:

(emily, i just fixed the links so that the images would show up:smile:)

this thread is amazing...i can see the chloe sevingy resemblance, but i find lee miller much more mysterious and intriguing than chloe.

I absolutely adore Lee Miller - to go from being a Vogue model to experimental photographer and muse of Man Ray and Max Ernst, to being the FIRST female war correspondent in World War II (she was in Paris during the occupation and after France was freed)... a truly inspiring woman whose only regret was that she wished she had been more free with her affections! Wow!! In a world full of people like Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan and other trailer trash types, it is women like Lee Miller who withstand the test of time and truly shine inside and out!

Lee_Miller_1929_jpg.jpg

Lee Miller in 1929

Such an amazing and inspiring woman. I love this "little" photo she took of Surrealist artist Eileen Agar in 1937. As Picasso said "Eileen pregnant with a camera".

Source: redferngallery.com

:wub: :heart:

Attachments

• 2452.jpg
    2452.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 7
WhiteLinen said:
Is there a good biography on her available?

I recently read two, one is a collection of her photographs with a modest amount of insightful text, The Lives of Lee Miller by Antony Penrose http://www.amazon.com/Lives-Lee-Miller-Antony-Penrose/dp/0500275092/ref=sr_1_2/103-3886891-8422232?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175059864&sr=8-2, and the other is her biography, Lee Miller: A Life, by Carlyn Burke http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Miller-Life-Carolyn-Burke/dp/0375401474/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b/103-3886891-8422232?ie=UTF8&qid=1175059864&sr=8-2 with a few photographs.

Lee Miller portraying Picasso and Picasso Poretraying Lee Miller! :P ...

Picasso by Lee Miller
photonet.org

Lee Miller(1937) by Pablo Picasso
nationalgalleries.org

:wub: :heart:

Attachments

• 3_1621_7R7MaUYxWn-324x324.jpg
    3_1621_7R7MaUYxWn-324x324.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 3
  • picasso116.JPG
    picasso116.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 2