leopard print - classic or vulgar?

I know, precisely because they're subjective I thought it would be easier if you went with your gut...

Yeah, I think so, most definitely emotive, with respect to design...I personally cannot begin to see design as a rational thing...Beyond the practicalities of cost, quality, ergonomics, trends, etc. of course...for me, truly great design comes from the instinct/heart, which is the precise reason it grabs the heart...you want people to be moved emotionally with your design. Anyway that's just me :wink::flower:

The emotional part of the psyche, is 5 times faster than the rational part. But you can definitely rationalise beauty.

Phuel, couldn't agree more.

No sorry it's not something I've seen, it's just very vividly in my imagination so I'd have to sketch it for you and then I'd be the designer, but I couldn't agree more with Phuel, one needs to see and decide for yourself, even just by starting with Google Images.

I'm not sure of your role in your brand is (designer? founder? buyer? All of the above?) and why you're doing this particular thing if you don't trust your eye or instinct completely--why leopard print if you're not gut-sure? And if so that's okay, just hire someone who knows what they're doing. Or as Phuel says search search search and look look look until you know for sure yourself what makes YOUR heart leap...:heart: It's the quickest way, otherwise you'll exhaust yourself incorporating every opinion under the sun.

I just saw this, and it's beautiful. It looks more elegant than the Jimmy choo - obviously they're different designs, but it's obvious that more attention to detail has gone in to this Chanel purse.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! I agree, the Chanel is a far better design. It's more sophisticated and more complex and balanced, has movement, direction, a story in the pattern itself. The "frame"-like feature adds texture, interest, balance and focus. I think leopard goes well in combination with other shapes and patterns too, when done right...so you can experiment with that. :smile:

I don't hate such prints, but I'm not terribly in love with them either. I also don't want to make the distinction between "classic" or "vulgar" in regards to this print. I just don't really care about these prints. Don't get the wrong idea- I'm just neutral. If I were to recommend an outfit or certain styling touches, I would not even mention something along the lines of "this would look better in leopard print." If you like these prints with your garments and accessories, that's fine. All I am suggesting is that there is nothing about leopard prints for me to be excited about or to care to any legit level.

I WILL say this, though... all leopard print sneakers should be burned to the ground, and their remains should be shoved into a trash compactor. Otherwise, to answer the question- leopard prints can be both classic and vulgar depending on who you ask. I am just neutral on this print to be honest.

Yes! I agree, the Chanel is a far better design. It's more sophisticated and more complex and balanced, has movement, direction, a story in the pattern itself. The "frame"-like feature adds texture, interest, balance and focus. I think leopard goes well in combination with other shapes and patterns too, when done right...so you can experiment with that. :smile:

Sophisticated and complex are not synonymous in my mind - yes, it is.

Thanks

I don't hate such prints, but I'm not terribly in love with them either. I also don't want to make the distinction between "classic" or "vulgar" in regards to this print. I just don't really care about these prints. Don't get the wrong idea- I'm just neutral. If I were to recommend an outfit or certain styling touches, I would not even mention something along the lines of "this would look better in leopard print." If you like these prints with your garments and accessories, that's fine. All I am suggesting is that there is nothing about leopard prints for me to be excited about or to care to any legit level.

I WILL say this, though... all leopard print sneakers should be burned to the ground, and their remains should be shoved into a trash compactor. Otherwise, to answer the question- leopard prints can be both classic and vulgar depending on who you ask. I am just neutral on this print to be honest.

The sneakers comment would suggest a preconceived perception but thanks.

I was holding off on those Lanvin leopard-print slip-on sneakers ... and now suddenly I feel tempted.

^^^ LOL

I'm sure fashionista-ta could pull it off!

You know, I think anything can work-- and this is absolutely dependent on the designers' sensibilities and vision, and not dictated by any set of rules or regulations. Look at Kanye's debut collection: On paper, his collection would qualify for an impressive debut, with all the premium materials and even the designs were, more or less, rather minimal and lends itself to a sophisticated, refined silhouette. Add to that the support of some of the top people in the industry at the time, and a Paris debut with a cast of top girls. But look at the results. It just didn't work.

I don't think design-by-committy can guarantee success unless one's aiming towards a cheap, fast-fashion or water-down department-store type of fashions.

^^^ That you can pull of leopard-print kicks??? Of course LOL

^^^ LOL

I'm sure fashionista-ta could pull it off!

You know, I think anything can work-- and this is absolutely dependent on the designers' sensibilities and vision, and not dictated by any set of rules or regulations. Look at Kanye's debut collection: On paper, his collection would qualify for an impressive debut, with all the premium materials and even the designs were, more or less, rather minimal and lends itself to a sophisticated, refined silhouette. Add to that the support of some of the top people in the industry at the time, and a Paris debut with a cast of top girls. But look at the results. It just didn't work.

I don't think design-by-committy can guarantee success unless one's aiming towards a cheap, fast-fashion or water-down department-store type of fashions.

I agree, except the last thing. Are you familiar with David Humes take on taste?

Some things are beyond us; beyond rationale and quite democratic - collective agreement on value. Although, it's entirely subjective, yet we almost universally agree upon certain value.

neither classic nor vulgar. Wear furs is (nowadays) very cruel, even wear fake furs because encouraged other people to continue thinking that wearing furs is a good thing. Leaving aside the ecology and ethical issues, I don't find classy at all.

Even a pair of leopard print pumps aren't really "classic" to me. I've seen plenty of leopard print pumps and booties around the blogosphere, but I disagree in saying leopard prints (or any other animal prints for that matter) are classic. They aren't in the same level of classic like polka dots or mary janes or any other iconic details or garments. These prints can only be "classic" if one feels the design is timeless and/or a must in someone's wardrobe.

So I guess this post is more a debate on the thought of referring to leopard prints as anything "classic." I don't hate these prints or anything, I am just not as crazy about leopard prints as some others would be.

neither classic nor vulgar. Wear furs is (nowadays) very cruel, even wear fake furs because encouraged other people to continue thinking that wearing furs is a good thing. Leaving aside the ecology and ethical issues, I don't find classy at all.

Most leopard print is not fake fur (and none of it is real fur).

I suppose it would be most ecologically sound to wear as little clothing as possible, leopard-print or not ... but would we get any work done?

:ninja:

Ok - the imitation of the leopard print, isn't the same as furr or imitation furr, as it's the pattern and not the furr of the leopard that is admired.

Even a pair of leopard print pumps aren't really "classic" to me. I've seen plenty of leopard print pumps and booties around the blogosphere, but I disagree in saying leopard prints (or any other animal prints for that matter) are classic. They aren't in the same level of classic like polka dots or mary janes or any other iconic details or garments. These prints can only be "classic" if one feels the design is timeless and/or a must in someone's wardrobe.

So I guess this post is more a debate on the thought of referring to leopard prints as anything "classic." I don't hate these prints or anything, I am just not as crazy about leopard prints as some others would be.

Arguably - leopard prints are more classic than polka dots, as a leopard exists in nature. Whilst we created the polka dot. However, it's undeniably, timeless.

It's the connotation that exists with the leopard print that is the issue - the Burberry print went through something similar.

Most leopard print is not fake fur (and none of it is real fur).

I suppose it would be most ecologically sound to wear as little clothing as possible, leopard-print or not ... but would we get any work done?

:ninja:

Right - but it's more sustainable to wear cotton, as opposed to fur. I don't want to go off topic, so I'll leave it there.

^ I am anti-fur, but not sure about the sustainability as compared to cotton. Conventional cotton is one of the dirtiest crops there is, and I'm sure the least sustainable textile.

The mention of polka dots is interesting, because animal prints and polka dots are pretty much the only prints I'll wear. I find them equally classic.

^ I am anti-fur, but not sure about the sustainability as compared to cotton. Conventional cotton is one of the dirtiest crops there is, and I'm sure the least sustainable textile.

The mention of polka dots is interesting, because animal prints and polka dots are pretty much the only prints I'll wear. I find them equally classic.

Ok - but it must be more so, than furr.

Well, polka dots are classic, but the leopard print is equally, if not more so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uche2crazyyy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->