Marc Jacobs F/W 08.09 NYC

Ok ... I guess HERE

*please do not quote images

Image from http://vrcoll.fa.pitt.edu

Why bother showing them a Boticelli painting, I'm sure those who don't like this amazing collection, prefer tacky brands like Versace and Dsquared.:rolleyes::lol:
The more I see this collection the more I like it:heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
dont overgeneralise...i for my part, dont like Versace or Dsquared and i still dont like this collection...and im normally a fan of Marc Jacobs...his Marc by Marc collection was disappointing and so is this...IMO
something my gran would love though...

I like how the clothes look comfy.
I'm in love with the peach & mint coats. . :heart:

def. not my favorite marc jacobs collection [he's had some phenomenal collections in the past],
but when I single out the various pieces, I like it a little bit more with each viewing.
someone brought up a twenties influence and I can see it in some of the looks which I really love.

I have to admit I was rather let down after seeing this collection. Last fall's was just so spectacular so I can see how it would be a tough collection to top, but i found myself rather bored with many of the pieces in this collection. Everything just seemed so bland, shapeless, and dare i say, slightly frumpy. I did like the colour palate and I wouldn't say i hated it, but I expected more from Marc.

Well, i prefer it to his last collection, but thats not hard, as i thought it was a total mess. I do really like some of these pieces, just not many of them.

cathy horyn's/nytimes take...

I didn’t make it to the Marc Jacobs show. A bout of flu or something hit me on Friday afternoon, so I asked Eric W. to take over. He jumped into a cab in Times Square heading south, and I went north through the Friday evening crowds, feeling a little green. I’ve looked at the MJ show on Style.com, and can see why some people found it a little slack. But one or two things interested me, along with Brooksie’s observation about hats this season (so true!). I like Jacobs’ sportive take on casual dressing, a category that has been stuck in neutral for awhile (too girlie, too Marni, too high-low, etc). I don’t know if Jacobs intended to focus on casual, especially on trousers and tops, but I like the direction here.

The clothes reminded me of automobile fever in the 1930s, in Paris, the beautiful racing cars like Bugatti and the incredible fascination for them, and the clothes they necessarily demanded. Bill Blass used to tell me about a French designer whose sportswear he admired and, brother, I cannot recall this morning who Bill meant—was it Marcel Rochas?—but I wonder if Jacobs was looking in that direction. There was such a jazzy, first-breath of modernity in some of the looks (on Style.com: #14, 18, 21, 34, 37 and 47). My other thought was more wild: Were these clothes sort of what we might expect from Giorgio Armani? I mean, Armani has set his own course, but what if someone else were to interpret his lanky silhouette and modern influence? That’s just a thought…
and marc's response...

I wish you could have been at my show. I think it was a really good one. I am happy with it on every level. I deliberately stated I was uninspired this season as I have felt that talking about inspiration is so not the point to making and showing a collection. Inspiration is a catalyst. one is left with an interpretation of those thoughts. In a show context they are meant to “say” something…..I felt it necessary to allow the audience to say what they want, to see what they saw. There was no wrong or right. everyone is entitled to their opinions. Big deal….My last few collections have been nothing but an expression of where I am at and what interests me and my team in terms of cut, shape, color and our individual interests in fashionable clothes. I find so many aspects of life today fascinating…I don’t work in a bubble. I am influenced by the world, and what of the world I know, remember, and hope for. I look forward to the chance to speak to you soon…I really felt a need for calm, and yes, each season is a reaction to the one that came before it. I am certain that what we chose to promote this season was the only, and perfect answer. and, for all those who think Spring Summer didn’t sell…..perhaps, they should check our figures before assuming such as fact. I hope you are feeling better…All my best, Marc."

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Sonic Youth (they are one of my favourite bands) but I though that their performance and style of music was completely at odds with this collection. And not in a good "i wanted to contrast the music and clothes" kind of way. Same goes for the stage and setting. None of these things complemented or enhanced the collection, rather, they drew attention to the lack-lustre nature of the collection.

^^i agree...
Sonic Youth werent right for that collection...it seemed like a 'oh this band is like legendary...lets have them at my show'

with the milanese designers stepping up to the plate this season , MJ's collection is a total wipeout and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

^^ The Milanese designers????? Surely you mean the Londoners! A big chunk of the collections in London outdid everything in NYC and Milan thus far.

^^i agree!
plus we havent seen enough of Milan yet to really compare

Accessories

334m.jpg
335m.jpg

336m.jpg
341m.jpg

337m.jpg
340m.jpg

style.com

Well ... I do like the bags.

Everything else is a total snoozefest though. The only pieces I like are the last two in #124 and the first two in #125.

I love the bags and this collection is different but amazing, I really like some of these pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chchhchc
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->