Marc Jacobs S/S 2019 New York

It's a really pretty collection, but fashion has changed so much and it feels so out of sync with what's relevant now. He just can't seem to get his foot in anymore.

There are some amazing coats (and some not so amazing overblown ruffles all over the place at the same time), and the show feels quite high-class and expensive but we're not in 2009, 2010 or 2011, sorry. The magazines, editors and imagery that would have promoted this collection so amazingly in years gone-by don't really exist anymore, which makes this feel like it exists in a shiny vacuum somewhere within this month.
Exactly.

It's a shame. Marc - who was always not just on the pulse, but AHEAD of the pulse, for the bulk of his career...is now here, feeling very out of step. Sure, these are all nicely designed, expertly executed clothes, as Marc's clothes usually are. He has a knack for beautiful, impactful details - like a perfectly cut and proportioned pocket, the perfect button, etc.

But the overall effect leaves me cold. Everything feels passe, unfortunately. Even down to the Philip Glass soundtrack...which in years past, was such a thrilling additional layer to all of Marc's collection...but here....it's so been there, done that.

Last edited:
Oh Marc, you have to help us here!!

I know that is not a bad collection, but I hate it anyway and its most because of the presentation. It felt like a debut collection. The stage was cheap and the tacky.
There is some really good outfits, however because of the presentation, the OTT looks stands out more and in the end everything looks like costume clothes.

IDK what Marc have to do to save his brand, but please, GIVE US A SHOW, because this is what is making his brand relevant.

I thought it was quite fun. Knowing the state of his brand though, I'm not sure what the intent of producing this collection was.

I don’t mind this brand existing in a it’s own vacuum of fashion week given the sad state of fashion today. I mean the first look at Riccardo Tisci for Givenchy was today and it was a basic black T-shirt whit a TB logo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->