Patrick Robinson for Paco Rabanne

Atelier

Hoppity Hop
Reaction score
Perry Ellis' loss is Puig's gain. From today's WWD.

Wednesday, December 15, 2004
Robinson Unleashed at Paco Rabanne
By Eric Wilson
121504_12.jpg

Patrick Robinson in Puig’s new fashion offices, under construction.
Photo by Robert Mitra

NEW YORK — Patrick Robinson made a case for “Pretty Baby” fashion during his three seasons at Perry Ellis, but at Paco Rabanne — where he officially begins work as creative director today — he plans to design a collection with a harder edge.

Robinson’s appointment at the Puig-owned house was confirmed on Tuesday by Mario Grauso, president of the fashion division of the company, which, in addition to the Paco Rabanne label owns Carolina Herrera and Nina Ricci. Rosemary Rodriguez, who joined the Rabanne ready-to-wear division in 2000 from Thierry Mugler, left the house within the past two weeks, Grauso said, citing “a difference of opinions about the future of the company.”

The 38-year-old Robinson, whose departure from Perry Ellis International last month resulted from a prolonged struggle with company management over the positioning of the label, said he has signed a multiyear contract with Puig. He is expected to spend about half of his time in Paris, where Paco Rabanne is based and where he plans to present his first efforts for the house with a fall 2005 runway show in March.

In a joint interview with Robinson and Grauso at Puig’s new offices for its fashion brands, 601 West 26th Street here, Robinson said he was attracted to the company by Grauso’s management approach and the expectation that he would have more design autonomy than he did at Perry Ellis. Grauso, not missing a beat, said, “He calls the creative shots.”

“I felt I could come here and be a creative director and be successful,” said Robinson, who prior to Perry Ellis had designed for Giorgio Armani and Anne Klein and had his own collections in the Nineties.

He said he was still intrigued by the possibility of designing for another house because “it’s my personality. I found that when I had my own company, what was missing was great management. You can’t be successful just by yourself. You become successful by having great management partners.”

But word over the past two weeks that Robinson was likely headed to Paco Rabanne has raised a lot of questions among the younger designer’s enthusiasts, who wondered what would be the connection between the frilly, playful clothes that charmed editors at Perry Ellis and a French label best known for its fragrance and Rabanne’s embrace of metallurgy. Rodriguez, who was personally hired by Rabanne and frequently consulted him on design, based her recent collections on his greatest hits, the minidresses made of chain-link metal and a spring ode to gold. Robinson, on the other hand, replied sharply when asked if he would consult with Rabanne, insisting he plans to take the house in a new direction — somewhere vastly different from either of their recent works.

“I have very strong points of view and I have ideas of how I want to take the brand forward,” Robinson said. “I won’t be asking for his stamp of approval or for his advice. I feel I am the creative director and I need to move the house in the direction where I see it going.”

Rabanne, who is 70, officially stepped back from his consulting role at the company in October, letting Rodriguez take a solo bow at the spring presentation while he sat in the audience. Neither he nor Rodriguez could be reached for comment on Tuesday.

Robinson doesn’t plan to be literal or loyal to Rabanne in his approach, but rather is looking to squeeze the essence out of the elder designer’s tradition, and leave it at that. He was even taken by surprise, recently, when someone pointed out he and Rabanne share the same initials.

“For me, Paco Rabanne conjures up a few words — sleek and sexy with a bit of an arrogant glamour,” Robinson said. “Its glamour isn’t a soft glamour. It’s a stronger glamour. There’s a lot more sex appeal, and it’s a bit more arrogant and up-front about it. It also looks forward, with a flamboyant futuristic attitude. It’s actually very close to what’s inside of me, to my point of view of a different woman, the kind of woman that I’m attracted to.”

There is a lot to admire in Rabanne’s hallmarks — his enthusiasm for technological advancements in fabric, building sculptural dresses of linked plastic discs and strips of aluminum. But Robinson’s fear is that what seemed futuristic in the Sixties and Seventies could appear dated today.

“The metal isn’t as important for Paco Rabanne as the idea of what it brought to the house in the Sixties, which is the idea of youth and sex and futuristic and moving forward,” Robinson said. “Those ideas have to move forward in fabric and texture. There’s a lot more to the house than metal and it’s time to make it relevant for today.”

Grauso added that Puig has bigger ambitions for building the Paco Rabanne fashion business, which in recent years has improved the quality of its distribution points but has not grown substantially in volume. In the U.S., the line is carried at Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Jeffrey New York, Bergdorf Goodman and other major specialty stores. It also has a large roster of international accounts.

The company plans to hold off on any major fragrance launches or an advertising campaign for the first season, and expects to close its freestanding store on Rue des Saints Pères in Paris within the next few months. Grauso, who expanded his role in the Puig organization in October from president of Carolina Herrera to the entire fashion division, said the look of the space doesn’t match the vision that Robinson has discussed for the brand.

okay I read like a line in because I was so excited to hear this! I mean, I'm not sure how much robinson can design in terms of rabanne but I think he might have the versatility to do this! I really adored what he did at perry ellis and how he stood his ground. And am I the only one who finds Patrick Robinson attractive?!

okay now that I've read the whole article...
I still like Robinson as a choice but I think I'll have to hold off anymore flattery until I see his fall collection. I'm very big on a designer entering a house and preserving what it stands for and robinson seems almost arrogant in saying, i'm not going to consult with rabanne. but as long as he preserves what the house stands for, than I don't really care.

I look forward to seeing what Robinson will do. He had great success at Armani, and Perry only. He seems to have the balls to do it his way and live and die by the sword.
Sometimes thats what is needed. Not many pay attention to Rabanne anymore, so maybe he will breath new life into it. I hope so. I have always been in his corner. I think now is his time.

back to the future

here's a wild statement- paco rabanne is more relvant to 2005 than ellis!

i mean perry's ellis was a great US sportswear label in 1980.

supposedly robinson is talented but his ideas always seemed corrupted by the old ellis american aesthetic/safe business plan.

the funny thing is that 1960s space-age rabanne looks GREAT now!! its one of the signature 1965-1970 space-age labels that vintage sells for thousands.

it will be interesting to see how patrick expresses himself at paco but what Ive seen of his ellis work was over-hyped in my opinion.

maybe he'll bring some vibe to paco.

but seriously if you want to see some futuristic-modernism, look up paco rabanne 1965-1969. those ideas look MORE 2005 than anything robinson has ever drawn

[remember when marc j did that {middling} space age collection a few years back? he was trying to re-invent the space age 60's rabanne & other labels- unfortunately he didnt add anything & got sued in the process!]

marc got sued...?...yay!!!

thanks for the topic atelier...
this is certainly hard to imagine... i agree that the house needs some new blood to breathe some life into it...and i agree that rabanne's work in his best days could truly be re-worked and made modern...but it seems patrick is going his own way...
i'll be open...but it doesn't really sound like great fit to me... i can't even imagine it... he's going to have to go so far away from where he was at perry ellis to do paco rabanne...i don't know if he has it in him...

i hope it works though...because i've always loved paco rabanne and would love to see his legend live on... one of the very first garments i ever shot was a silver chain mail halter from paco rabanne...

hi lady grey...!
welcome to the fashion spot...please excuse the mess...we're in the middle of re-modelling... :lol: :flower:

i enjoyed your post...you seem to really know your fashion history.. :woot:

lady grey said:
here's a wild statement- paco rabanne is more relvant to 2005 than ellis!

i mean perry's ellis was a great US sportswear label in 1980.

supposedly robinson is talented but his ideas always seemed corrupted by the old ellis american aesthetic/safe business plan.

but seriously if you want to see some futuristic-modernism, look up paco rabanne 1965-1969. those ideas look MORE 2005 than anything robinson has ever drawn

Not really sure if that 60s futuristic look is really relevant today. I mean many people give a nod to it (Courreges, Pierre C.,B. Cashin as well) But it is still locked in the 60's for me personally. I like the modern stuff coming out of Sander,Chulian, even Balanciaga. But I know the previous guys get their props and place in history which Robinson will be lucky to achieve if he can. Yeah he did come off as arrogant, but the proof in the pudding. Well see what happens. :flower:

softgrey said:
marc got sued...?...yay!!!

i'll be open...but it doesn't really sound like great fit to me... i can't even imagine it... he's going to have to go so far away from where he was at perry ellis to do paco rabanne...i don't know if he has it in him...

I agree, sounds odd. :blink: But you guys know im a fan so I hope the best for my Bro!

And forgive my spelling in all my posts please..... :innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in agreement with Softie's observations. I am trying to be as open as I possibly can but this really sounds like a mad combination to me. Somebody known for more conservative sportswear going to a house most infamous for flamboyant chain-mail? This is really odd to me...

And his comments about management sound really narrow-minded and American to me btw. Sounds as if managment is strictly at big houses...but there is such a thing as bank managers who specialize in small independent businesses. If he wants to venture into his own label again perhaps he should do more research.

60s- now

its a fact that vintage cardin is mega-desireable now.

as u say courreges too.

and look at pucci. how hot has that label been recently & look at their 60s peak- its the same.

im saying that paco 60s was GREAT!!

now what patrick will DO there... thats a big ??????

its a weird match. but im saying that paco 60s IS fab & has been re-examined in 21st century.

and courreges DID sue marc jacobs,. dont know what happened after that.

*hi everyone* thanks .

Last edited by a moderator:
hey, welcome to tFS grey :-)
and yes you are absolutely right about those re-vamps ,
cardin & courreges are HUGE at the moment, in japan and in europe

as for the Patric Robinson, i find him talented, he did very well for Perry Ellis
and he totally inspired me with his 'alternative' collection presenation..
i'm expecting a lot from him, the house of rabanne will get hot in no time,
lets get our space suits out :-D

i'm just encouraged by this deal simply because i think that robinson's tastes are suited for the luxury market customer....and puig seems to know how to develop their brands well...(thinking of nina ricci)

Why???????????

I love Paco Rabane, but this is all worng, it makes even lesssens than the women who si doing the line now.

Some body like Wendy & Jim would have made so much more sens for Rabanne.

Cristof Beufays would have made an appropriate designer as well. Patrick,I just feel he will turn it into some sportswear collection and not the iconoclastic sensibility Rabbane actually is.

Scott said:
Cristof Beufays would have made an appropriate designer as well. Patrick,I just feel he will turn it into some sportswear collection and not the iconoclastic sensibility Rabbane actually is.
give him a chance before you undercut him...i think that he was held back by perry ellis management, not his own talent.

we'll see..i remember his collection for anne klein...not very impressive there...

I don't think robinson will turn rabanne into a sportswear collection. In fact, he turned perry ellis around from a sportswear collection. Does anyone have any pictures of his work at armani or anne klein? I'd like to see his work for other designers to give me a sense of how versatile he might (or might not) be.

mikeijames said:
give him a chance before you undercut him...i think that he was held back by perry ellis management, not his own talent.
he may be a fine designer, for sportswera or whatever, but he is going to have to do a 180 if he whants to do justice to Rabanne

I am happy to see that Patrick has been given such a high-profile job, however I am in agreement with those who have doubts about his ability to fit in and maintain the signatures of the brand.:unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobAllen4599
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->