Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are Engaged

agee

Reaction score
Clarence House‏Verified account @ClarenceHouse 27 Nov 2017
The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince Harry to Ms. Meghan Markle.

erenwk.jpg

twitter.com/ClarenceHouse

Last edited by a moderator:
What???? :o I simply didn't see this coming! Ok, maybe when she did that tasteless Vanity Fair cover, but then weeks passed so I thought it would be yet another of Prince Harry's failed flames. Never thought I'd see the day when an actress of her calibre will make her entry into the royal family. I guess she'll have to leave that tv show now. Besides, this will be her biggest role yet.

I'm interested to see how this will pan out.

Yeah, have been waiting for this since her Vanity Fair cover...

Curious to see the ring he picked. I think her dress/their wedding will be quite different from Will and Kate's since it's her second wedding, am interested to see how they do it. She will make a very pretty Duchess, but somewhere Wallis Simpson is PISSED!

Could see this coming from a mile away.
It's great that they finally confirmed it.
The Vanity Fair cover was such an obvious clue.
I hope this works out for her, because the scrutiny will be intense.

Yeah, have been waiting for this since her Vanity Fair cover...

Curious to see the ring he picked. I think her dress/their wedding will be quite different from Will and Kate's since it's her second wedding, am interested to see how they do it. She will make a very pretty Duchess, but somewhere Wallis Simpson is PISSED!

Why? Wallis got to be a Duchess too, albeit without the HRH.

..... since it's her second wedding

Really?? God! :lol: They won't let her wear a veil, surely. This whole thing really caught me off guard. Despite her being so omnipresent, I don't know much about her.

Wallis Simpson was never regarded as a true royal because of the abdication and Queen Mum unofficially banishing her from the family, deservedly so! Meghan will be different because Prince Harry is very much part of the family.

Why? Wallis got to be a Duchess too, albeit without the HRH.

Because it appears that Meghan and Harry are very much welcome and the family is accepting and happy for them (as is the press). It was quite different for Wallis - may have been more based on her personality, but it was publicly blamed on the fact that she was divorced.

I don't know, I have my doubts about her. Even before that corny Vanity Fair cover she was giving me a bit of a social climber vibe. I hope I'm wrong though! Harry is by far my favorite from the clan and they do make a gorgeous couple.

Really?? God! :lol:
pictured you 85 and wearing a fascinator saying this.. :ninja:

I sometimes think of Harry as smart, just because he seems funny and relatable, but then that mega trashy girl he was dating a decade ago, the Nazi getup.. definitely not the smartest in the family, but yeah, human after all.. not surprised he fell for typical LA stuff (IHHS > acting > blogging > heavy publicity on charities around the same time she hooks up with Harry > sells personal life to Vanity Fair before anyone has finished memorizing her name :lol: ). They're not heading to the throne any time soon so it's all good.. I guess.

Lots of folks saw Kate as the definition of a social climber and she and Will seem all right so far ^_^.

Wallis Simpson happened in a completely different time and era. I don't think the rules that applied to her (including qualifications for veil adornment) are relevant now. Otherwise, this engagement would have never happened.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the VF interview was a palace approved (if not inspired) move and part of the pre-engagement roll out. VF is the American publication of royal news and unlikely to jeopardise that relationship to service an LA social climber's machinations ;-). You can see the obsequious bowing in every random royal titbit.

pictured you 85 and wearing a fascinator saying this.. :ninja:

I sometimes think of Harry as smart, just because he seems funny and relatable, but then that mega trashy girl he was dating a decade ago, the Nazi getup.. definitely not the smartest in the family, but yeah, human after all.. not surprised he fell for typical LA stuff (IHHS > acting > blogging > heavy publicity on charities around the same time she hooks up with Harry > sells personal life to Vanity Fair before anyone has finished memorizing her name :lol: ). They're not heading to the throne any time soon so it's all good.. I guess.

Always coming through with such snark, even on a blue Monday, Mulletproof! :lol: Shameless!

I bet they're all saying this in the hallways of Buckingham anyway. It's an establishment obsessed with codes of behaviour and decorum after all. I hope people don't buy into the reports of 'delighted British public' over this engagement. It's all the Queen's flying monkeys doing their best to appease her.

Lots of folks saw Kate as the definition of a social climber and she and Will seem all right so far ^_^.

Wallis Simpson happened in a completely different time and era. I don't think the rules that applied to her (including qualifications for veil adornment) are relevant now. Otherwise, this engagement would have never happened.

I was joking about Wallis, obviously it's a very different time but it makes me laugh to think of her fuming considering she and Meghan are both divorced Americans. Glad times have changed!

I feel like kate is more of a social climber than meghan tbh, she's so bland, like she's jus there to look good and make babies. Meghan seems to have more of a personality and seems to care more about things. I didn't like her at first, but after reading her Wikipedia page she didn't seem so bad. Besides, I'm not a fan of the British stiff upper lip that the windsors put on, I prefer the more human ways of the Scandinavian royals, and I think meghan can bring that
I'm only sad cus I had a crush on him

It's nice to see some 'good news' for a change...

I guess she'll have to leave that tv show now.

She just finished filming the rest of the season of Suits, her contract expired and she is now free.

Anyways, she grew on me when I started watching Suits so I really like her and I've had a crush on Harry since forever and I think they make a lovely couple.
I do hope this is for real and that they will be truly happy.

I don't know, I have my doubts about her. Even before that corny Vanity Fair cover she was giving me a bit of a social climber vibe.
+1. She gives me Sarah Ferguson vibes in a way. Not my cup of tea.

Honest question - not meant as an attack on anyone. When would a random girl marrying a prince not be seen as 'social climbing'? It seems like the go-to argument for every marriage of this sort and it's tiring. Sure, gold digging is alive and well, but not every relationship is pre-planned by the woman to marry into money. Often these things just.. happen.

I think it's great news that they are engaged and that the public is mostly reacting in a positive way. We seem to have come a long way after all.

Honest question - not meant as an attack on anyone. When would a random girl marrying a prince not be seen as 'social climbing'? It seems like the go-to argument for every marriage of this sort and it's tiring. Sure, gold digging is alive and well, but not every relationship is pre-planned by the woman to marry into money. Often these things just.. happen.

Princess Mary from Denmark. An Aussie member on here (I think Dsamg or AL92?) once said she actually met her prince in a pub, fell for him and didn't actually knew he was a royal. Apparently he moved around very clandestine. I checked this theory and it turned out to be true.

The Meghan Markle Halo Effect Helps Lift Sales for Canadian Brands Line, Birks

Meghan Markle's belted coat was a freebie gifted to the "Suits" actress from the Canadian company Line.

By Rosemary Feitelberg on November 28, 2017

Meghan Markle is American-born, but her loyalty for Canadian designers could be seen in what she chose to wear for Monday’s announcement of her engagement to Prince Harry.

Beaming beside the prince, Markle officially greeted the worldwide media wearing a Line belted coat, a P.A.R.O.S.H. green dress, Aquazzura heels and Birks 18-karat gold earrings. The coat and earrings came from companies based in Canada, the adopted country of the “Suits” actress, who shot the USA Network series there until she recently relocated to London.

Having met Markle a few times at various events in Toronto and having sat beside her at a dinner in honor of Roland Mouret, Noreen Flanagan, editor in chief of Canada’s Fashion magazine, said, “I was really charmed by her and came away quite impressed by just how smart she is and how she has that graceful confidence that I always envy when I see that in a woman.”

Markle and Mouret “clearly had an affection for each other,” since she has worn his clothes on the legal drama, Flanagan said. But the Los Angeles-born Markle has also made a point of wearing an assortment of Canadian labels, many of which she discovered through her stylist Jessica Mulroney — Sentaler, Aritzia, Mackage, Reitmans, Soia Kyo, Pink Tartan and Smythe. Earlier this year, Markle guest-designed a work-to-weekend collection for Reitmans, modeled in its campaign and readily gave her two cents about how she felt and what she thought. Flanagan said, “We think of her as a honorary Canadian as she lived here for years while she filmed ‘Suits.'”

Mulroney and other friends in Markle’s inner circle like Misha Nonoo, Legend of Lido cofounder Benita Litt and Pilates Platinum founder Heather Dorak did not respond to requests for comment Monday. But executives at Line and Birks discussed the Markle effect on their sales.

The white $750 Line sold out “within minutes” Monday by midmorning and the brand’s site crashed more than once Monday due to the interest. But re-cuts are already underway and the company should be able to meet whatever demand is requested, according to president and cofounder John Muscat. “We’re not a huge company and it’s the end of the season so we don’t stock a lot of these coats. They are all handmade.”

Markle didn’t have to pay for the $750 white Line coat — the company gave it to Mulroney as a gift, Muscat said. But the “Suits” actress has been a big supporter of the Canadian brand, and actually has the same style in the four other colors that it’s offered in — burgundy, black, light gray and soft pink. (As of next fall, she could add a hunter green one to her personal collection.) The style has also been renamed the “Meghan” in honor of the incoming royal. Line has worked with Mulroney and Natasha Koifman, president of NKPR, to help Markle with her style choices in recent years.

Muscat found out that Markle chose a Line coat while he was getting ready for work Monday morning. “I don’t know how you’re supposed to react to that. I was surprised that she chose to wear our coat for such an incredible announcement. I was really honored and touched that she did that. She’s bringing a little bit of Canada with her to London,” Muscat said. “She particularly loves this coat. She has it in every color so that makes a little sense. She wears it like a second skin.”

In the aftermath of Monday’s announcement, Birks had seen more than a 50 percent increase in web site traffic by early Monday afternoon, said Birks brand chief marketing officer and vice president Eva Hartling. “On the good side, our site can sustain heavier traffic,” she said. “We’ve also had a lot of inquiries from stores mentioning that clients either called or walked in asking to see the $780 18K gold Opal earrings from the ‘Les Plaisirs’ collection.” The opal stones are meant to stimulate the wearer’s creative energy, Hartling said. Mulroney pulled and purchased several pieces recently but Birks executives did not know if anything would be chosen for Monday’s big news.

With 30 Birks stores in Canada and distribution in about 40 doors in the U.S. and U.K., Birks expects to sell a few hundred units of the earrings that Markle wore, Hartling said. Having launched Birks fine jewelry in the U.K. last month through a deal with Mappin & Webb, the retailer promptly ordered the earrings after seeing Markle wearing them. “The timing obviously is great for the announcement today. While the news of the engagement is very vibrant all around the world, it is very much so that way in the U.K. and London,” she said. “For now, the collection is only available online for Mappin & Webb, but we expect it will be in the stores shortly.”

Markle has sported Birks jewelry before — most recently at the Invictus Games in Toronto where she wore a gold and diamond ring on one of her thumbs. Her soon-to-be sister-in-law the Duchess of Cambridge also wore Birks and Line during the royal visit to Canada last year. Whether Markle and Prince Harry will follow Kate Middleton and Prince William’s lead again regarding their official engagement photo remains a question mark. A spokeswoman for Mario Testino who took the official one for Prince William and Middleton did not respond to a request for comment Monday.

Two sets of photos of Markle with Prince Harry were posted on the P.A.R.O.S.H. by Paolo Rossello Instagram account Monday to show the sleeveless and long-sleeve versions of the P.A.R.O.S.H. sleek hunter green dress with a bow on the left hip that she wore for Monday’s announcement. The label, an abbreviation for “Paolo Rossello Second Hand,” is known for its secondhand fabrics and trans seasonal looks. Rossello’s take on vintage is a compilation of designer brands with unusual finds and military styles. Executives at his company, as well as those at Aquazzura, did not respond to a request for comment.

Source: WWD.com

I think it's great news that they are engaged and that the public is mostly reacting in a positive way. We seem to have come a long way after all.

I get a social climber vibe from her as well. It's not that she's a "random" girl or a commoner, it's that she's an actress who didn't make it as big as she wanted to in Hollywood. I think that if she hadn't done that Vanity Fair cover I might have a different opinion of her, but she so clearly jumped at the opportunity to be on a cover of a major magazine she would otherwise not have had to chance to be on if she hadn't been dating Harry.

A normal person wouldn't want to be on the cover and described as just Prince Harry's girlfriend (his ex Cressida Bonas cited the publicity as a major factor in their breakup, and complained that now she's forever known as Prince Harry's ex), but Meghan seems to be just fine using that as a ticket to global fame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessy1982
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->