Provocative / Offensive Ads #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
To raise awareness of the ultra-thin issues of the fashion industry....can't discuss this here but there is plenty about it in the rumor thread in this tFS forum.

If you truly have been a part of a war, it is definatly not normal. None of us have been in a full war, where atrocities are witnessed daily. If you have (which I doubt, sincrerely) then I don't think you would say the world 'normal'. What its doing is adding glamour to war. War should not be viewed as shocking since Vogue Italia did an editorial on it. That is not its place, to add Chanel and Dior to the battlefields of the world. Very disrespectful when you consider those who have been part of actual war and the editors of Vogue Italia simply sit back and their seats comfortable... and think of how to shock as next.

I think that what Spike meant by the issue of war being normal for someone not being directly involved, is that because it has been ongoing for quite some time and it is reported on everyday (at least here in the US) many people have become used to it...not that it is normal for someone living in it.

I personally am not offended by the cover...although not much seems to phase me these days, with the exception of those anorexia ads...those were disturbing:innocent:

^ Yes, LostInNJ hit the nail on the head for me. In America hearing about the war, but not living directly in it, has become part of my everyday life, to the point of being normal. To me, it isn't shocking that x-number of soldiers and civilians died today, sick as that is. It's a sad thing isn't it?

Seeing it in a venue aside from the evening news, especially in a fashion magazine, is shocking in the extreme. It puts the stupidity and insanity of war in perspective.

I don't think it's the fact that it's in a fashion magazine that's offensive, it's that by being in a fashion magazine people are reminded that it's actually going on....that's what's offensive.

Seriously though, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, that's just how I percieve it. :blush:

To me, it isn't shocking that x-number of soldiers and civilians died today, sick as that is. It's a sad thing isn't it?

It is a sad thing. But not on your behalf. It is a sad thing because that is how you have been conditioned to react to it by our media and our government. We sit here and talk about the best advertisers in our fashion magazines when to be honest, the real pros of pros in advertising are the ones who work within the political system. Repubs and Demos.

wooooooooooow .....thats all i got on that 1

oh yea also, That x-number of soliders who die every day is innaccurate. It doesnt take into account the large number of mercinaries from defence contractors such as Blackwater (hired by the US, and paid better than our soliders to boot) who are not considered "soliders" by definition of the word. Yet another "advertising spin".

But back to topic. I think it is good that editorials like this exist. Despite the fact that they may not always be kosher or well put together. It still brings valuable attention to important topics from outside the ordinary suspects that bring us our news. Plus not all people are so inclined to directly inform themselves with current affairs (as I am sure is the case in the fashion world) This is just one more outlet to expose such things. It is a fashion magazine, not TIME or News Week. What kind of angle do you expect them to take on the matter???

** it depends of the spirituality and humanity of each person, anyone with those characteristics will never think that war is almost normal. **

that doesn't even look like an ad. I just looks like some ameture with a camera and a heavy onboard flash takeing a photo some some naked girl who happend to grab a bottle the hide herself. it's garbage.

oh yea also, That x-number of soliders who die every day is innaccurate. It doesnt take into account the large number of mercinaries from defence contractors such as Blackwater (hired by the US, and paid better than our soliders to boot) who are not considered "soliders" by definition of the word. Yet another "advertising spin".

But back to topic. I think it is good that editorials like this exist. Despite the fact that they may not always be kosher or well put together. It still brings valuable attention to important topics from outside the ordinary suspects that bring us our news. Plus not all people are so inclined to directly inform themselves with current affairs (as I am sure is the case in the fashion world) This is just one more outlet to expose such things. It is a fashion magazine, not TIME or News Week. What kind of angle do you expect them to take on the matter???

My opinion is that it belongs i n TIME and News Week, not in the pages of Vogue Italia. You want to hear about the war? Get the actual information from the news or pick up a book. Not wait for fashion magazines to broadcast the issue. Why shouldnt people inform themselves on whats going on? But thats another topic.

Spike: Thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood. :smile:

** it depends of the spirituality and humanity of each person, anyone with those characteristics will never think that war is almost normal. **
If this was directed to me or my post, I dare you to tell me that we don't live in a world where war is an unfortunately normal part of everyday life for millions of people both directly and indirectly involved. If by saying so I'm neither spiritual nor humane then so f-ing be it. I stand by my posts.

If it wasn't directed at me or my post then ignore this entirely and please don't start another useless debate.

If this was directed to me or my post, I dare you to tell me that we don't live in a world where war is an unfortunately normal part of everyday life for millions of people both directly and indirectly involved. If by saying so I'm neither spiritual nor humane then so f-ing be it. I stand by my posts.

If it wasn't directed at me or my post then ignore this entirely and please don't start another useless debate.

I guess we are talking about different perspectives, the French sociologist Emile Durkheim indicated in his Rules of Sociological Method that the most common behavior in a society is considered normal

Presence of normality
Absence of normality
the terms "normal" and "normality" are really very relative concepts so I don't want to start a debate, the only thing I know is the war is not normal to me.

That said, if fashion magazines shouldn't touch upon the aesthetics of war, then we should equally censure all novels, dramas, TV shows, films etc that use a war backdrop, if their primary purpose is entertainment, rather than education.

Everyone at some point in their past has enjoyed a good movie about a conflict that didn't touch their day-to-day life. The artistic liberties weren't offensive to you at that moment because the conflict wasn't personal to you. But as soon as war becomes a personal part of your life, then it suddenly becomes a serious and offensive matter.

But that Vogue Italia editorial did not educate, it glamorized the concept. How can war be entertaining? War has never been a person part of my life but I know people who have been through it and seen horrible things so for you sitting at your computer telling me that its normal is crazy. The only normality is where its occuring. I don't mind movies/fashion magazine that EDUCATE but making an editorial merely to use the old meme 'shock factor' and GLAMORIZE it is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->