Redesigned vintage (secondhand) clothing labels

gius

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place to put this thread, but I thought it was just interesting that there are now designers using items from vintage/secondhand shops to create new clothes for their labels.

There is one in Canada called Preloved, and they have three collections:
1 - "Preloved", which takes vintage clothing and alters it in some way to make a new garment (maybe cut it and combine with another shirt or add some kind of embellishment).
2 - "Handcut", which uses an actual vintage fabric (rather than a piece of already-made clothing).
3 - "B Loved", which uses new fabrics. This one is not vintage obviously.
There is a lot more information at their website.

Here are some photos from there too. They are maybe not the best samples...
slide-001.jpg

slide-010.jpg

You can also watch a video from a TV fashion magazine in Canada, Fashion File. They take you inside the shop/studio and show you what kinds of things they do. Here's the link--it's the 6th video link from the top.

I think that the label Libertine also does this same thing. I saw them on tv, saying that they don't know how to construct clothing from scratch, but they send pieces to eachother (one designer in L.A., the other in NY) and alter/embellish it till they are satisfied with the product. If anyone has a link to where I can read about their biography (I wonder if they are self-taught designers), please tell me!

This whole thing that these designers are doing makes me think of environmentalism and recycling!:flower:
Also: if anyone knows of other designers that do the same thing, please comment and tell us who it is!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
i saw that on fashion file, i wish i could see it in person. the website says only four sizes, that seems a bit restrictive, but i guess thats whats gotta happen

it reminds me of the episode of project runway wheree they had to do that

ShesElectric said:
I love those photo's, not to mention the idea!
Yeah, maybe it will turn into something like a Handcrafts Movement...:magic:that would be interesting!
Please watch the video if you haven't. You'll see that the garment construction is very simple (and easy to do)!

Theres another designer that does this, Joe Bush, but all they do is denim. I dont like any of it, it's all in that awful light 70's stone wash.

There is also Libertine and of course Martin Margiela who really started the whole thing

Martin Margiela does this? I've heard of the brand but never really knew much about it. I had no idea they reuse vintage.

Thanks for all the quick replies!:o So far I think Libertine has created the clothing most different from the original fabrics/clothings. I'll check Martin Margiela's collections now.:flower:

Guessgirl96 said:
Theres another designer that does this, Joe Bush, but all they do is denim. I dont like any of it, it's all in that awful light 70's stone wash.
Do you mean a stone wash popular in the 1970's?? I remember it was popular in the 80's too, or maybe that would rather be acid wash.

Marquischacha said:
Saw them on rifnery 29.
Is that a TV show??

gius said:
Thanks for all the quick replies!:o So far I think Libertine has created the clothing most different from the original fabrics/clothings. I'll check Martin Margiela's collections now.:flower:

Do you mean a stone wash popular in the 1970's?? I remember it was popular in the 80's too, or maybe that would rather be acid wash.

Is that a TV show??

You may be right, I'm actually not really sure if it's called stone or acid wash. It's the really light mom-jean type of wash.

gius...actually...
very often libertine doesn't change the items at all...
simply adds a silkscreen...

you really should take a look at older margiela collections if this interests you..
as mutterlein says- that is where it really all started...

i remember the first thing i ever saw by margiela was a sweater made entirely of old socks...(hopefully just vintage and not used ones...:lol:..)
we have plenty of threads and info right here on tFS on the subject...

:flower:
* and this is how the label imitation of christ started out...
they were the ones that made it trendy with the younger crowd...

just outta curiosity...
does MMM still do this? what "number" line does it correspond to?

There are some really great designers on ebay that sell deconstucted clothing. I usualy search for "DIY".
XOXO
Annalise

softgrey said:
gius...actually...
very often libertine doesn't change the items at all...
simply adds a silkscreen...

you really should take a look at older margiela collections if this interests you..
as mutterlein says- that is where it really all started...

i remember the first thing i ever saw by margiela was a sweater made entirely of old socks...(hopefully just vintage and not used ones...:lol:..)
we have plenty of threads and info right here on tFS on the subject...

* and this is how the label imitation of christ started out...
they were the ones that made it trendy with the younger crowd...
BrokenLolita said:
This isn't something all that new...... there are SO many labels in London that use this concept.
Thanks softgrey!
I have a lot to learn... I can see that I'm so behind in fashion
Now I'm very embarrassed to hear the last comment:ninja:
I didn't realize it is already an old idea. I was just surprised to see that when I watched the show for Preloved on TV, they really seemed to use USED clothing and tried to make it into something new. Labelling it "vintage" was maybe a marketing gimmick, as nowadays it's an "in" word rather than "secondhand":shock:

I'll be doing more research!

research is good and learning is good..
nothing to be embarrassed about....

softgrey said:
yes-the artisinal collection...

^I love the collection here by the way:woot:
Jackets made of sandal straps! Shirts made of bottlecaps and beads!
Even more interesting/odd than what I was expecting:heart:

it's the best there is of this type of stuff really...imo..

nothing else even comes close...
^_^...

and it's even BETTER in real life...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->