Redesigned vintage (secondhand) clothing labels

Gius...I didn't mean to make you feel embarassed! I've never heard of the label Preloved myself so I'm glad you brought it up. Plus, we don't have a thread dedicated to this type of vintage clothing so it's great that you posted it anyways!

masquerade said:
it reminds me of the episode of project runway wheree they had to do that

yeah, it really does. it's a really interesting idea, and i'm really liking a lot of the pieces. this is a great thread!

What do people here think of Libertine? I like the pieces, but honestly I think the prices are outrageous. I was at the Barney's warehouse sale and some woman was all excited about a Libertine dress that I was looking at and passed on. She was like "they don't make that many pieces, they're very expensive and exclusive." I was thinking about a dress that I made in college using an old prom dress and gluing one some fabric cut-out lobsters - very Salvador Dali influenced - anyways I don't know much about silk screening but it just seems to me that Libertine goths up some frou-frou things that have a fun cut to them and then charges a ton - am I missing something?

salomelovesjohn said:
What do people here think of Libertine? I like the pieces, but honestly I think the prices are outrageous. I was at the Barney's warehouse sale and some woman was all excited about a Libertine dress that I was looking at and passed on. She was like "they don't make that many pieces, they're very expensive and exclusive." I was thinking about a dress that I made in college using an old prom dress and gluing one some fabric cut-out lobsters - very Salvador Dali influenced - anyways I don't know much about silk screening but it just seems to me that Libertine goths up some frou-frou things that have a fun cut to them and then charges a ton - am I missing something?

nope

preloved is great! i have a couple handcut pieces that i got in montreal last year...a black sleeveless sweater with one black pinstripe shoulder and a weird ruched cowlneck..it's one of my favorite pieces of clothing.

thanks for the other links..i've never heard of junkystyling or refinery29 and i'm really excited to do more research! also i'm taking a garment reconstruction and redesign class this summer and i'm looking forward to using these for inspiration :wink:

:heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is one finnish one too, globe hope. They use i.e old army sleepingbags or old workwear and create something new.http://www.globehope.com/
for example..
tuote_27_1.jpg

Pouch made of old Russian scarves.

i once had a similar idea wanted to redesign a silver blouse and make it more modern but it needs time oz ur not sure if a client shall buy it or not. xulybet are/were also very well known for redesigning

Mei Hui Liu is another talent like this-designs under the wonderful label Victim.

But I do feel there is a slight difference in what she,MMM and Junky Styling Susie mentioned than say Libertine or IOC. The latter,as Softie said so well,never change the existing pieces much..if ever. To me,the former use the approach of actual recycling. They take bits out these pieces and create a new form-hence the sock-into-sweater idea of MMM.

This was my arguement about them being different some time ago.

Estella,those pictures are amazing!!

I wonder if they'd be interested in my project?

yes sure, scott ... why don't you e-mail them?

also related... we should have a thread on E2 somewhere, i'll see if i can track it down:flower:

I'm glad people are liking the thread:flower: I have so many designers now to check! (*o*)

:heart: the dresses, Estella Mare!
I really like the fabrics they're using in "schnarch kollektion"
The prints are colourful. The first image, Rotkäpchen Ensemble, is also nice!

indie said:
There is one finnish one too, globe hope. They use i.e old army sleepingbags or old workwear and create something new.
I love the prints on the bags here too. It completely changes everything!^_^

I heard it was popular in Finland to weave your own rugs, that they even had buildings which lent out weaving looms so that people can make their rugs at home.
Here's a closeup of my Finnish friend's rug. Her grandmother made it when she was a girl, in the 60's. She cut strips of clothing and wove them together to make the rug. I think she did this by hand, without the loom.

Attachments

• r15.jpg
    r15.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 1
Scott I sent you an e-mail about your project, The Hand, a few days ago. Sounds very interesting!
I hope you got it... BUT I have to say that I'm not a professional in making things, if that is what you're looking for.^_^

i actually prefer this idea to buying untouched vintage clothing (mainly because most the vintage shops locally only seem to find size 12 or 14 clothing, so unlike my friends who are in their element, i can only play dress up with the accessories!). infact, the dress i have bought for my school prom is made of vintage fabric. purple leopard print. yummy :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->