René Gruau - Fashion Illustrator

wow..very striking illustrations. I :heart: his use of certain colors....the black & red Dior is so sexy to me.

Found this one....:blush: if I had this hanging in my house...I'd think the man in the illustration was looking at me.....:innocent: :ninja:

www.artnet.com

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
More Rene Gruau

Currently on Ebay...

Aren't these beauties?:P :D

CC

Attachments

• scan1595.jpg
    scan1595.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 4
  • scan1596.jpg
    scan1596.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 7
  • gruau1.jpg
    gruau1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 5
  • gruau2.jpg
    gruau2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 13
  • gruau3.jpg
    gruau3.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 5
Gruau

Haven't looked up Gruau lately but happened to tonight. I forgot how much I love his work. These are from ebay now. Enjoy the eye candy:P:

Attachments

• img095.jpg
    img095.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 7
  • img094.jpg
    img094.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 8
  • img093.jpg
    img093.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 10
  • img092.jpg
    img092.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 6
  • img091.jpg
    img091.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 5
^i was gonna post that too, hehe

im so excited!! there is also a small exhibition at The Mayor Gallery in london of his works as well. perhaps those are ones for sale.

Gruau Art

From Ebay and Webstore.com

Attachments

• img012.jpg
    img012.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 5
  • img022.jpg
    img022.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 4
  • img018.jpg
    img018.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 5
  • img017.jpg
    img017.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 4
Rene Gruau Auction

René Gruau's world-famous fashion illustrations epitomise the glamour and sophistication of Fifties couture - gracing the era's most iconic magazines and advertisements, from Vogue to Balenciaga, Balmain and Lanvin; as well as being a "key figure in Christian Dior's marketing team" - but what makes his work so special? "René Gruau depicts timeless ideal women, who are both elegant and beautiful - and who will resonate with the contemporary passion for mid-century fashion," Joy McCall, head of the 20th Century decorative art & design department at Christie's London, told us. "His style is distinctive and easily recognisable. Whilst drawing inspiration from Japanese woodcuts and late 19th Century art and posters, Gruau remains highly original. He selected props for his women which enhanced their glamour and sensuality, as well as evoking a sense of an underlying narrative. In many ways he can be viewed as a father of modern fashion advertising."
It is precisely this uniqueness and long-term significance which prompted Christie's to hold an auction of his work, today in London.
"The works being offered in the 20th Century decorative art & design sale today in Christie's King Street are original artworks commissioned by Fleur Cowles during her time at Look magazine and whilst she was editor of Flair," McCall told us. "The lots cover a range of subjects from glamorous evening dresses to beach and skiwear."

Gruau's importance to fashion can hardly be overstated, but - as an art expert - has anything caught McCall's eye?
"My personal favourite is lot 116 as the graphics are so powerful," she told us. "Despite working in a restricted palette, the image still appears to be drenched in colour - and his use of line and gesture is masterly. The relationship between the two women is intriguing and one is immediately engaged by the look of the woman in the red coat."
Estimates ranging from £2,000 to £10,000 are predicted for today's sale which is expected to attract international fashion-lovers and collectors. Find out more about the auction at www.christies.com.

Updated Tuesday October 25, 9.12am: Yesterday's René Gruau artwork sale at Christie's smashed all estimates, netting almost £225,000 between the 21 pieces offered. Despite pieces having an average estimate of around £3,000, they fetched more than £10,000 each on average - with particular highlights including Winter Sun,£17,500; The Straw Hat, £21,250; and The Black Glove, £16,250.

"The 20th Century Decorative Art & Design sale concluded with the success of the fine collection of René Gruau fashion illustrations, easily quadrupling its low estimate thanks to exceptional provenance and freshness to the market," Joy McCall, head of the 20th Century decorative art & design department at Christie's London, told u today. "Bidding was fierce in the room, on the phone and online, mostly from European collectors and trade. We are now looking forward to the Lalique sale on November 17 at Christie's South Kensington."

vogue.co.uk

christies.com

Attachments

• RGruau 23.jpg
    RGruau 23.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 14
  • RGruau 24.jpg
    RGruau 24.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 10
thank you so much for posting those gruau illustrartions!

he's possibly the single one most influential illustrator on me. someday when i have the money i would love to own an original gruau illustration!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->