Ruben Toledo - Illustrator

Gosh! Ruben & Isabel look so much alike.

I like their home...quite eclectic & artsy. :smile:

At the Movies with Reuben Toledo
Plus! Scorsese and Armani return for part due

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

(NEW YORK) Another Giorgio Armani-related fête is coming to the Big Apple. Ruben Toledo, the Cuban-born artist and fashion illustrator best known for his drawings and collaborations with Louis Vuitton and Nordstrom, is releasing his third book, Fashionation (Edition 7L), next month. Only 1,000 copies of the $360 coffee table book, which explores the changing landscape of fashion and the body language of style, will be available, each signed and numbered by Toledo himself. Simon Doonan has penned the intro and essays by fashion curators Valerie Steele of F.I.T. and the late Richard Martin of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, among others, are included as well.

To celebrate the book’s launch, Toledo will be hosting an event at the Metropolitan Club next month along with a screening of the 1999 documentary, Il Mio Viaggio in Italia [My Voyage in Italy], directed by Martin Scorsese and executively produced by Armani. The four-hour documentary chronicles of the history of Italian cinema through the ‘50s and ‘60s. Scorsese and Armani, incidentally, are currently hard at work on a sequel to the award-winning film. A release date has not been set for part two of the documentary, which will snake through the ‘70s, ‘80s, and ‘90s.
fashionweekdaily

he's so dashing :blush: his works are very self assured ... and i love isabel also :heart:

I was lucky enough to see Ruben and Isabel speak at a career day event a few weeks ago and I was so in awe of them. They were so down to earth and so fascinating! Its like your attention is drawn to them.

source: fashion informer

Isabel and Ruben Toledo Talk Form and Fashion
"You don't need much of anything to start – just energy and enthusiasm. Don't let anyone tell you there is a right way to do it."

So said fashion illustrator Ruben Toledo about undertaking a career in fashion at the lecture he gave with his designer wife, Isabel, at Manhattan's Parsons the New School for Design on the evening of Tuesday, March 6th.

Though it was ostensibly aimed at Parsons' fashion and illustration students - who lapped up the Toledos' advice and hard-won wisdom like so many thirsty young pups - the 90-minute lecture, entitled "Form Follows Fashion: Isabel and Ruben Toledo," was an inspirational call to arms for any creative-thinking person who yearns to follow their dream but isn't quite sure how to go about it.

Of course, the Toledos' story is a bit more romantic than most rags-to-riches tales. Both Cuban immigrants, the two met in suburban New Jersey as teens in the 1970s and have pretty much been together ever since - and they are still clearly besotted with each other. On top of that, despite a few minor blips on the career front, they've been unusually successful from the get-go, he as a well-respected fashion illustrator and mannequin designer (you may know his work from those Nordstrom ads) and she as a insider-favorite fashion designer (Isabel's line was picked up by Barneys in the mid-80s and her eponymous collection has always a huge cult following, and last month she debuted her first collection for Anne Klein, where she was recently named creative director). But they've always played by their own rules. Not bad for a couple of down-to-earth, envelope-pushing iconoclasts.

That's not to say it's always been easy, or that the Toledos didn't work hard to get to where they are today. After a brief slide show outlining Isabel's design aesthetic (based on the principles of shape, liquid architecture, organic geometry, origami, suspension and shadow), Ruben told stories about the completely self-taught duo scrambling to make their early orders for Barneys and other stores, with Isabel (who has never taken a fashion design or pattern making class) cutting and sewing the clothes from patterns that Ruben (who never studied art) sketched, and the two of them delivering the items to each store themselves.

"It was a crash course in business," Ruben told the rapt students, a big grin on his face. Throughout, the couple asked questions of the audience, too, resulting in a lecture that was anything but, and that clearly demonstrated their winning curiosity about the world around them, which continues to inform their work.

"Limitation is the mother of invention," Isabel opined a few minutes later, when asked how she had come up with some of her more unusually shaped garments, such as "The Hermaphrodite" dress and "The Packing" dress. (Lack of funds and materials had forced her to think outside the box, as it were.) "I'm in love with the technique of sewing," she added when asked why she chose a career as a designer. "I always loved to sew."

She also discussed her love of draping, and spoke of being enamored of fabric and using 3-D techniques to invent sculptural shapes that work in tandem with the body beneath, which is one of the reasons her garments flatter a wide range of physiques.

Isabel visibly blanched, however, when the moderator called her an artist, protesting, "I'm not an artist. I make things that are of service. To think of myself as an artist would be decadent."

Ruben, who is an artist, was equally pragmatic and described taking whatever work came his way in the early days, "from painting portraits to a sign for a barber shop," and he counseled his young audience to take paying commercial gigs if it allowed one to do other, creatively fulfilling work that didn't bring in as much cash.
And even now, with Isabel fresh off her critically lauded Anne Klein debut and Ruben poised for the release of his new book, "Fashionation," the duo remain decidedly humble.

"Earn your freedom," Ruben told the students after being asked about the challenges of balancing his commercial work with more 'artistic' gigs. "Keep your freedom. There are no limitations on what you want to do if you love it."

Afterward, the two were surrounded by students proffering illustrations for an autograph (from him) and fashion portfolios for critique (from her), and the couple treated all comers with genuine kindness and consideration.

"Really, the thing is to let them know they can do it their way," Isabel told The Fashion Informer after spending several minutes in deep conversation with a young Asian student, who had laid out her fashion sketches on the floor of the stage for the designer to assess. "Because there’s only one thing that is individual: You. There is only one source that no one else has anything else to do with: You. Whatever comes from you is original. No matter what it is. So you’ve got that down. You don’t have to worry about being original or not. It’s a given."

She paused to say good-bye to a friend. "I think that’s an important message for them to hear. There’s no need to try and outdo somebody else. Be yourself. Outdo yourself."

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget that he also reworked the Estee Lauder's Pleasure bottle as well!

I love his ads for Saks,i think he is a true artist,his illustrations are so cool,i wish Vogue and other fashion magazines would bring them back in full force.

Oh and he is so handsome and stylish,Cubans always have so much style and grace.....................

Cheerful design on this bottle, just like Sr. Toledo and his talented wife! :heart: Estee Lauder pleasures Artist´s Edition by Ruben Toledo

dillards.com

i was at the lecture... they are such a beautiful couple! and like their work, they compliment each other so well. i didn't get a chance to speak with them personally, but they seemed incredibly down to earth.

Looooove Him!!!!!!!!

i go to fashion design school,and all of my sketches are inspired by his!

Thank you so much for the scans! I love his simple and fun style. ^_^

Thanks for all those scans of nices illustrations,blackangel41999!
An other one, I do not remember where it comes from.I like the way he painted all the textures.
I think he has been inspired by Gemma Ward...,don't you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->