Style Me with Rachel Hunter - TV Show

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been posted I search and didnt find anything

There will be a new show called "Style Me" with Rachel hunter it seems like it could be a pretty good show, next to project runway for fashion reality shows since americas next top model as fallen off since season 3. look for it I beleive this month on the 23

From the New York Times online

I'll have to look for episodes to download. This looks so bad it's good...I only wish that I had gotten the chance to be cast! Does anyone know if they will be doing another season? :rolleyes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/19/fashion/thursdaystyles/19ROW.html
A Reality Check for 'Style Me'

front.583.jpg
Craig Blankenhorn
Rachel Hunter sorts through the realm of possibility.

By ERIC WILSON
Published: January 19, 2006
THE fashion industry, with its camera-ready personalities and a seasonal pace that befits the genre, has provided ample fodder for reality television, spawning shows for women competing to become a top model and runway challenges for aspiring fashion designers. At this point the well has been tapped so dry that one might as well propose a show about button makers or Macy's salesmen. The latest entry, beginning Monday on WE: Women's Entertainment, is a showdown among would-be celebrity stylists.
Styling- the art of picking out clothes and dressing starlets just so - would ideally be a behind-the-scenes profession. But for a small band of self-trained individuals, like Phillip Bloch and Jessica Paster, it has become a lucrative and high-profile profession (or at least justification to comment as a style expert during awards shows).
Apparently the kids get this. WE was inundated with applications for the new show, "Style Me," in which Rachel Hunter, the supermodel and former reality television contestant, takes on the role of host. With cautionary earnest she explained the importance of stylists in the first episode: "Stylists not only dress you," she said, "they advise you and encourage you and can even save you from a fashion faux pas that can haunt you forever."
Geena Davis, she's talking to you.
The 12 contestants under Ms. Hunter's guidance, some so fabulous even their names are styled - Brittnie, Airic, Buick and Remeka among them - arrived in New York last September with suitcases packed with stilettos and dreams of making celebrities look better simply by inducing them to heed their advice.
Chris, an Elijah Wood look-alike from Anchorage, says, "I'm like the boy that's in Alaska at 12 reading Vogue, and they're like, 'What's Vogue?' " John, who describes himself as "an androgynous," appears to have styled himself as Ms. Hunter, with big, curly blond hair.
The painful reality is that few of them had a clue how to survive as a stylist, as Ms. Hunter offered candidly over tea the other day. In fact "Style Me" manages to reveal more about stereotypes of divalike behavior in the fashion business than about the power of accessorizing. But it also demonstrates that styling is surprisingly difficult.
Given the simplest of tasks at the outset - styling a little black dress on a mannequin with the Hell's Kitchen flea market at their disposal - the stylists-in-training managed to affront even Mr. Bloch. (He chided one contestant by reminding her of the old adage about too many accessories: Look in the mirror, he advised, then take one thing off. Except he attributed that maxim not to its originator, Coco Chanel, but rather to his client Ashley Judd.)
When Ms. Hunter asked Chris about his submission, he wept uncontrollably. And he was the winner of that challenge, having adorned the dull Laundry by Shelli Segal dress with an off-center metallic necklace.
"It was a little frightening, considering all the things that were in that flea market," Ms. Hunter recalled. "It was like watching paint dry."
MS. HUNTER, 36, began her modeling career in the mid-1980's, a period she acknowledged was characterized by fashion mistakes. Thinking back to her big hair days, she cringed. And though she suggested that she is more likely to be chided than applauded for her fashion choices, she learned long ago the value of a good stylist. Only in the last decade has the role of the stylist in creating a celebrity's look become fully recognized.
"A good stylist is unique, individual, adventurous and bold," Ms. Hunter said. "But the hardest thing for them to do is to see the person they are dressing differently than they see themselves. You don't really want to buy into the ones who dress you the same as they do. It's the ones who are constantly creating different looks that you want."
Ultimately she discovered that great styling is not something that can be taught or, in the case of "Style Me," corrected. That was a problem for many of the contestants. Ms. Hunter said she was taken aback by those who attempted to mold the subject to their own personal taste - gritty, rock 'n' roll or 40's classic.
Mostly, though, she was concerned because the winner, in addition to $10,000 and a contract with a talent agency, gets a crack at styling her.

i have heard about this...
it sounds like an absolute nightmare...
every stylist that i have ever seen on TV is a BAD stylist...

stylists who seek the spotlight contradict the whole notion of 'behind the scenes'...which is what most stylists/editors have always been...
they do it becuase they love styling and they love fashion...
not because they want attention...
for a good stylist...
it is not about YOU...
it is about YOUR CLIENT or your SHOOT...
it's why directors direct...
and photogrpahers are BEHIND the lens, not in front of it..

i will watch it of course...
and i will be thrilled to eat my words if it is good...
but i don't have much hope really..:ermm:...

*it seems these days everyone who can dress themselves thinks they can be a stylist and everyone with a camera thinks they can be a photographer...
but if it were that easy...EVERYONE would be doing it...
sorry kids...
think again...

:lol:...

www.washingtonpost.com

On 'Style Me,' Survival of the Fittingest

By Robin Givhan
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, January 20, 2006; Page C02

Celebrity stylists are the fashion industry's most peculiar creations. Their job is to give a famous person aesthetic panache. To make them look good. And to let the average fan believe the stars did it all themselves.
Phillip Bloch works with Halle Berry and found the Elie Saab gown she wore when she accepted her Best Actress Oscar. Nicole Kidman has relied on the help of stylist L'Wren Scott to maintain her reputation as an icon among the fashion-obsessed. And stylist Rachel Zoe is spawning a whole generation of underweight clones by dressing clients in her signature look of a disco hippie.

The stylist is a personal shopper, guru, prognosticator and schlepper. Male stylists dress women and female stylists dress men. But sometimes they look as though they can barely dress themselves. Jessica Paster, whose clients have included Jessica Simpson, often looks as though she has rolled out of bed without so much as a head shake to get the hair out of her eyes. She favors frocks best described as sacks.
Some stylists were once models and they have the lean, haute couture looks of Scott, who is more than 6 feet tall -- almost 4 feet of which is taken up by her legs. They can have the slick, polished style of Bloch, who looks like a Wall Street broker peddling p*rn instead of hedge funds. (And honestly, that is meant as a compliment.) Some stylists look unremarkable but happen to be fanatics about clothes.
So what precisely makes a good stylist? How can you spot someone with potential?
That question is posed in the latest reality show to tackle the byzantine world of fashion, in which quality is subjective and a charming personality can go a long way to sell an extremely bad idea. "Style Me" debuts Monday on the WE: Women's Entertainment channel. A dozen contestants live together in New York while competing in various tasks in hopes of being the last person standing. The winner receives $10,000, a one-year contract with a talent agency and the opportunity to style the show's host, model Rachel Hunter, for a red carpet event.
In the first episode, their task is to take 45 minutes and $75 to shop a flea market for pieces to accessorize a plain black dress. For sheer amusement, the producers decree that the contestants must haul the dress around on a mannequin as they rampage through the Hell's Kitchen souk on the west side of Manhattan.
And as is the habit of reality TV, some contestants were selected for their skill at pulling together a fetching ensemble and others seem to have been chosen for their annoying mannerisms, overblown egos or a tendency to start weeping under the staggering pressure of picking out a necklace.
The weeper is 28-year-old Chris Watts, who grew up in Anchorage and describes his childhood as rather Dickensian -- except he longed for more copies of Vogue magazine rather than another bowl of porridge. Watts cries when he can't find a belt at the flea market. He turns potty-mouthed and surly back at the group home. He gets drunk and passes out in the bathroom and a maintenance man has to be called to unlock the bathroom door. Watts goes into a blubbering fit during the judges' critique of his work -- that being an asymmetrical necklace over which he anguished. He wins the challenge and he cries even more. (Could one of his roommates please give this man something to cry about like a "snap-out-of-it" backhand to the cheek?)
The judges, by the way, include Hunter, Bloch and Milica (pronounced Melissa) Kastner, whose most compelling credential appears to be that she's Hunter's good friend.
Other contestants include 23-year-old John McNulty, who describes himself as androgynous. With a mane of curly golden locks, he spends a significant portion of the first show talking into the camera from a bubble bath and sounding precisely like Truman Capote. There's Franco Lacosta, 36, who just wants to "make everyone look beautiful." The phonetically challenged Airic (pronounced Eric) Lewis. A woman named Buick. And a 31-year-old woman named Brittnie Romain who clearly has never watched reality TV because she wears stiletto heels to take on the day's challenge.
Contestant Pascale Lemaire of Silver Spring wins significant praise from the judges for her uptown artist ensemble. Lemaire, who until recently was fashion editor of Baltimore magazine, put together a look that included a shrug whipped up from an old jacket with leg-of-mutton sleeves and various bits of bonus sparkle and glitter. Hers was one of the more inventive and interesting styles and she comes across as one of the saner players. No wailing, no affectations and no Omarosa-isms. (And this opinion has nothing to do with the fact that she worked as a freelance stylist for The Washington Post Magazine.)
Lemaire, 42, has worked in fashion for 18 years. She says she recently resigned from Baltimore magazine. "As a result of being in New York and being around really talented and creative people, I saw I'm not so far from that," she says. "Just being on the show has inspired me to go for my dreams."
Did you win, Pascale? Huh, huh?
Silence.
At least in the first episode, "Style Me" does not have the high-kitsch drama of "America's Next Top Model." And it lacks the splendidly pretentious histrionics of "Project Runway." But its timing is impeccable. It arrives on cable TV during the height of the red carpet season. The work of established stylists is on display as their clients lurch from one award show to another, all leading up to the Oscars in March.
Aesthetic stumbles are rare on the red carpet. (Although actors are not above wearing absurd costumes -- swans, ballerinas -- to get a little attention.) At Monday night's Golden Globe awards, for every classically attired actor and every actress in haute couture, there was only the occasional guilty pleasure of a fashion oopsie-daisy.
Geena Davis wore a fire-engine-red, fitted satin dress that looked like it had a brontosaurus tail hanging off the back. Horrifying! And Reese Witherspoon wore a lovely Chanel debutante dress that turned out to have been worn by Kirsten Dunst a couple of years ago. Mortifying!
"Style Me" aims to launch the career of one more person looking to stamp out these flickers of harmless amusement. In exchange, the least the show can do is provide more wonderfully inappropriate crying fits.

zrzava said:
the winner, in addition to $10,000 and a contract with a talent agency, gets a crack at styling her.

this says it all...
WHY would a stylist need a TALENT agent???...
they would need a stylist's agent...

:lol:....
oh-this is just for people who want to be famous...

Oh gosh....Rachel Rachel Rachel - you mean you weren't awful enough in 'Make me a Supermodel' over here in the UK, now you're hosting ANOTHER fashion reality show in the States????

What are Rachel Hunter's style credentials that enable her to JUDGE stylists????

And I agree with Soft.... these ppl are not stylists, they're just extroverted fame-seekers who think they have great style ERGO THEY ARE STYLISTS!

I don't know Softgrey...I know many good stylists who are repped by agencies. I mean when we're out on our jobs all the time it's good to know that someone is rustlin' up more work! :P

...but I agree with you both, by and large these contestants look like the average reality TV fodder.

http://www.we.tv/includes/htmlArea?key=1485

...still 10 grand would be nice.:innocent:

Style Me with Rachel Hunter

Did anyone catch the series premier on WE today? Its pretty much like project runway with the challenges and the getting kicked off. Contestants do challenges styling outfits they think would look good on Rachel. Phillip Bloch is also a judge.

zrzava said:
I don't know Softgrey...I know many good stylists who are repped by agencies. I mean when we're out on our jobs all the time it's good to know that someone is rustlin' up more work! :P

...but I agree with you both, by and large these contestants look like the average reality TV fodder.

...still 10 grand would be nice.:innocent:

hello-
please re-read my post...
as i said...many stylists HAVE agents...

but not TALENT agents...
talent agents are for people who PERFORM...
like as guests on tv shows and personal appearances, etc...
it's is for actors/personalities...
NOT for stylists, photographers, hair and make up...

got it?...:wink:...
:flower:

EdK said:
Phillip Bloch is also a judge.
well there's the final nail in the coffin...
philip bloch is one of those attention seeking whores who will do anything to get his silly face in front of a camera...
NO ONE in the industry takes him seriously...
he's strictly hollywood...
all he does is style tacky celebs...
and appear on shows...

this is going to be about as 'real' as america's next top model...
in others words...
strictly for entertainment purposes...

still- it might be a good laugh...:lol:...

softgrey said:
every stylist that i have ever seen on TV is a BAD stylist...
Even Stacy & Clinton? I love them :heart: And think they work wonders on "What not to Wear"! But I guess that's not the same as a celebrity stylist...

I don't have WE so I won't be able to catch this, but my beef is with Rachel Hunter too... I've never thought of her as particularly stylish so her role here seems a bit strange :ermm:

Style Me with Rachel Hunter

Anyone seen this? I saw the first episode last night....Tivo'ed it from the other day.

Its sort of a bad Project Runway wannabe. But I will continue to watch it
7.gif
The idea is that these contestants due challenges to come up with outfits for Rachel Hunter (who is a really bad host), and then there is a judging and elimination.

Rachel Hunter wears the winning outfit out each week. The winner gets a contract and will work with RH as a stylist.

Some of the contestants...are WHACKO!!!! and really don't have a clue about fashion at all. But you know....bad reality television makes good television.

Im so there!!!

please try to do a search before starting a new thread guys....
this is the second thread i have merged into the original one...

thanks for your help with this...:flower:

Curious said:
Even Stacy & Clinton? I love them :heart: And think they work wonders on "What not to Wear"! But I guess that's not the same as a celebrity stylist...

I don't have WE so I won't be able to catch this, but my beef is with Rachel Hunter too... I've never thought of her as particularly stylish so her role here seems a bit strange :ermm:
i happen to know that stacy is a very nice girl so i won't say anything specific...
i think it is great that she is working steadily...
but i stand by my previous statement
:innocent:...

zrzava said:
...some so fabulous even their names are styled - Brittnie, Airic, Buick and Remeka among them...
:lol:

I'm so plagarizing this sentence the first chance I get.

softgrey said:
i happen to know that stacy is a very nice girl so i won't say anything specific...
i think it is great that she is working steadily...
but i stand by my previous statement
:innocent:...
:lol: Very diplomatic Soft :P Give Stacy my regards!

softgrey said:
well there's the final nail in the coffin...
philip bloch is one of those attention seeking whores who will do anything to get his silly face in front of a camera...
NO ONE in the industry takes him seriously...
he's strictly hollywood...
all he does is style tacky celebs...
and appear on shows...

^^^ Heh!

Saw the premiere last night. I thought Philip Bloch was the worst and most "eww!"-inducing part of the whole show! :P He's even more repulsive than the guy with the soul patch from America's Next Top Model, Nole Marin (I used to love it when Janice Dickinson would go postal on him, snerk).

the stylists-in-training managed to affront even Mr. Bloch. (He chided one contestant by reminding her of the old adage about too many accessories: Look in the mirror, he advised, then take one thing off. Except he attributed that maxim not to its originator, Coco Chanel, but rather to his client Ashley Judd.)

:rofl:...LORD...the man is OBVIOUSLY a genius...:lol:...

:rolleyes:...

Caught the first ep. FOUR HOPEFULS eliminated after the very first challenge. That's cold!

The judging is ridiculous. Rachel, Philip Bloch and the unknown didn't agree on squat. One girl gets penalized for running around like a headless chicken at the end, another guy for finishing early and enjoying a snow cone.

Not worth the DVR space, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rearjepaj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->