Sulfate free shampoos?

goregeous

Reaction score
I've been more and more interested in sulfate free/ more natural shampoos and conditioners, as I keep hearing more and more bad things about the stuff that's in most brands.
What I was wondering is if anybody has any experiences with these kinds of shampoos? I've tried the sugar beet shampoo from Burt's Bees and it was alright but nothing fantastic.
I've heard great things about John Masters Organics and ABBA brand but wanted to know if anyone here has any feedback on sulfate free/more natural brands they've tried.

:flower:

^ I've heard really good things about that line :smile:

I think I've decided (after hours of reading reviews and researching) to try out John Master's organics line. I like the fact that they only put what needs to be in there and don't just pack a bunch of extra ingredients in.
I just have to have a day off to go running around town trying to find the stuff haha.

My hair has always reacted badly to shampoos and conditioners with lots of silicones in them and I keep hearing how sulfates are really bad for your hair (I've read a few articles that state that they may be a cause of hair thinning/loss YIKES) I don't know if the articles are 100% accurate or not but I'd rather just switch to something more natural to be on the safe side.

Yeah I thought more people would have thoughts, info and experiences with more natural shampoos :(
I've been tempted to buy Back to Basics vanilla plum fortifying shampoo/conditioner(it's super cheap at ulta) but I heard that the conditioner actually has silicones in it.......and my hair hates silicones.

So as part of my christmas gift, my mom in law gave me an all natural homemade shampoo and oil treatment that her friend makes at home! It's an ancient ayurvedic shampoo and botanical hair oil treatment.
I used it once already and the shampoo has a nice creamy texture, faint sweet herbal smell (soft not overpowering hippie smell) and it has natural conditioners in it so when I rinsed my hair is was soooo soft that I didn't even need conditioner! (I'll probably keep putting some con in the ends of my hair though because they've been super dry this winter)
I'm really excited to keep using this stuff because it claims to do lots of nice stuff to your hair and scalp, plus it
-contains herbal conditioners
-ph balanced
-no sodium lauryl sulfates
-no perfumes or dyes
-safe for all hair types
-colour safe
-no animal testing
I haven't used the oil treatment yet but it's made of all kinds of oils and herbs that you heat up, massage into your scalp and shampoo out after 20 mins or more.

Loreal EverPure shampoo, conditioner, and deep conditioning masque are in my rotation.

Sulfate in shampoos and conditioners are especially damaging to curly hair, it weighs the hair down and causes frizz- based on the research I am doing right now. I've used Pantene Pro V for years and I am just not happy with it.

^ Yeah pantene ruined my hair years ago so bad I had to chop my chest length hair off up to my chin. That's when I realized my hair hates silicones. :( It's because pantene has so many waxes and silicones that it actually traps the moisture out of your hair, making it dry brittle and I even had a stylist tell me that it actually makes your hair shed more so it thins it out. (not sure if it's true but still)

^ Wow, that thinning/shedding thing makes sense, I've noticed that with my hair the past few years! Ekkk!

Has anyone come across any good sulfate free shampoos/conditioners?

# Carcinogenic nitrosamines can form in the manufacturing of sodium lauryl sulfate or by its inter-reaction with other nitrogen-bearing ingredients within a formulation utilizing this ingredient. Other studies have indicated that sodium lauryl sulfate enters and maintains residual levels in the heart, liver, lungs and brain from skin contact. This poses the question whether it could be a serious potential health threat from its use in shampoos, cleansers, and toothpastes.
# Still other research has indicated sodium lauryl sulfate may be damaging to the immune system, especially within the skin. Skin layers may separate and inflame due to its protein denaturing properties.
# Although sodium lauryl sulfate is not carcinogenic in experimental studies, it has been shown that it causes severe epidermal changes in the area it is applied, indicating a need for tumor-enhancing assays.
# Additional studies have found that sodium lauryl sulfate is heavily deposited on the skin surface and in the hair follicles. Damage to
the hair follicle could result from such deposition.

Wow... I just did a few hours of research into this, and now I would really love to look into a sulfate-free shampoo. Does anybody have any good recommendations - preferably a non-volumizing shampoo suitable for dry and damaged hair?

^There are actually way more options than I thought there were, I googled sulfate free shampoos and this amazing link to a long hair forum came up that had a huge list! Then I just started looking at the reviews on makeupalley to try and narrow it down :smile:
I've been trailing a few shampoos and conditioners right now to see what works best for me.

I've been using the Avalon organics shampoo for a few days now and it's actually really nice! It's sulfate and paraben free and vegetarian and the best part is that it's really cheap.
My husband has been using the lavender shampoo for a while now and I decided to give it a go since he has really nice hair. my hair is super shiny and soft and has some bounce now :woot:
I think I'm going to stick with it for a while and see if the results get even better.
The other natural shampoo I was using worked great for a while but now seem to be making my scalp itchy and flaky despite claiming to be moisturizing, lame.

^ Pantene was really terrible too for me in the past... I always being changing of one from another as any of them really suited me... not surprised theres a bunch of dangerous chemicals on them...

i googled SLS-Free Shampoos and I got to an interesting blog killerstrands.blogspot.com where I've extracted this list...

Mini List of SLS-Free Shampoos

ABBA-'True Curls' 10oz : $11.25
ALFA PARF-'Splendore-Hydrate' 9oz:$15.49
ALTERNA - 'Hemp Seed & Cavier'10oz:$16.99
BROCATO - 'Splash' 10oz:$9.45
DEVA -'Curl Low Poo' 12oz:$13.50
ENJOY- all Sulfate-Free 10oz:$12.99
J BEVERLY HILLS - 'Fragile-Colour-Safe' : 12 oz : $13.05
JONATHAN - 'Moisture' 8.4oz : $20.00
KENRA - 'Platinum' 10oz : $14.40
L'ANZA -'Healing Colour Care' 8oz:$16.50
MASTEY- 'Enove Creme Shampoo' 8oz:$9.90
OLE HENRICKSEN - 'Natural Hair Wash' 12oz:$22.00
OSMO- 'Essence Blinding Shine' 9.5oz:$10.99
PAVES PROF- 'Flawless' 8oz:$5.99
PRAVANA-'colour, hydrating, volumizing' 10oz. $12.55
PUREOLOGY-all 3 types 10oz : $21.60
SEXY HAIR- 'Healthy Sexy Soy Milk Chocolate' 13oz: $14.75
TREASURED LOCKS-'Nothing but Nature' Shampoo 10oz : $11.99
ZERRAN- 'Sulfate-Free' 8oz : $16.50

...I wonder if theres any shampoo sulfate free in The Body shop and/or Lush

Yeah I was surprised at how many different sulfate free shampoos are out there, you just need to take a few minutes to either look it up online or read labels in the store :smile:

I've used DEVA Curl 'Low Poo' along with the 'One Conditioner' for about 6 months now and my hair is unbelievable compared to before.
I had terrible split ends, and my hair shed badly due to an addiction to dyeing my hair.. I got so fed up I tried this routine and started really caring for my hair.
I don't mean to sound like an advertisement but it really worked for me.

I love Prive's project vert shampoo. The bottle is small but dont be fooled. Its just like shaving cream but its shampoo. You squirt a little into your palm and rub your hands together and it doubles in size. It runs anywhere from $22-30 if you buy online.

I will be looking at the labels next time I buy shampoo. I'm nearly out of my current one so it will be soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->