The Next True Rockstar

KhaoticKharma

Amour Comme Hiver
Reaction score
I was just disscussing bands on another forum and realized that the bands of today are often criticized, especially considering how the bands of the '70s and '80s are all but idolized.

My theory is because, along with having amazing music of course, the rockers were real, authentic rockstars. The rockers of today are similar to the fashion models of today- a little too 'different' to appeal to the masses. While I know that there will never be another Jagger, Page, Plant, Hendrix, Osborn, Bowie or Morrison, I am curious at to who you all think could become the next big thing.

I think the closest at the moment is Billie Joe Armstrong and Green Day. They are the best known mainstream and make good music today- not music that I think will be up their with the names above, mind you, but good none the less.

A very distant second is Brendon Flowers/The Killers, as they seem to be getting a lot of attention. Pete Wentz/Fall Out Boy could do it, and if The Strokes or Interpol could release new stuff on the same creative level as their first stuff, just with more publicity, they could easily get in the top spots. Bloc Party and the Arctic Monkeys have the potential, but they don't seem to be too keen on the publicity aspect of it all. With their recent VMA win (and killer looks) Panic! At the Disco is a small contender.

Any opinions?

Fall Out Boy and Panic! At the Disco are too geared towards teenagers. I dont know anyone except teenagers who are fans of them, everyone else I know sees them as a boring joke. Iff we're needing rockstars we won't see one unless they appeal to a larger and broader fan base as well as greater longevity. With the way the current music scene is going, not too many bands are able to stay popular in the mainstream, the less visible the better able they can stay around because it seems their fans are more loyal.

yourbestfriend said:
I dont know anyone except teenagers who are fans of them, everyone else I know sees them as a boring joke.
Yes ! ^_^
i'd also apply that to all the other bands suggested above with the exception of Interpol and i suppose The Strokes.
Pete Doherty is a 'true rockstar' in that he lives the rockstar life.. but so publicly that it overshadows any music (of whatever quality) he has a chance to make. I don't know, i see mainstream music (the only kind that can really make a 'star' out of people) as a big marketed joke aimed at the millions of children & teenagers yet to hear the good stuff. and in ten years they'll be embarrassed to admit they ever listened to that type of thing (if they'll even admit it :innocent: )

Last edited by a moderator:
yourbestfriend said:
With the way the current music scene is going, not too many bands are able to stay popular in the mainstream, the less visible the better able they can stay around because it seems their fans are more loyal.

That's very true... magazines like NME are building up bands left and right, calling them the next big thing, but two weeks later the next big thing is someone else.

The All American Rejects are getting tons of radio play where I live (and I live in a small city), but I don't think that they're good at all... I wonder if they'll stick around though?

It is not an opinion shared by many people but believe me: Arctic Monkeys.

In my opinion the rock music scene is pretty much dead. There's nothing new, revolutionary or interesting. I'm not saying there aren't a few good new bands, but they recycle ideas and make them just sound catchy...I'm not very impressed by the music scene of today. Therefore I don't think there will be new rock stars with both musical talent and charisma...

There are people who live the "rock star image" like Pete Doherty and co.

I'm voting for Artic Monkeys and Pete Doherty is living it up. Billie joe I like, even though Green day has gone completely mainstream. I believe in Gerard Way of MCR, he's good for theatrics and has a dramatic flair.

WhiteLinen said:
In my opinion the rock music scene is pretty much dead. There's nothing new, revolutionary or interesting. I'm not saying there aren't a few good new bands, but they recycle ideas and make them just sound catchy...I'm not very impressed by the music scene of today. Therefore I don't think there will be new rock stars with both musical talent and charisma...

There is indeed nothing truly new in Rock, but I don't mind. I like old music, and I like that 'kind' of music done right. And the term 'catchy', I like catchy music, there is nothing wrong with it. To make an album full of good catchy songs is an accomplishment.
Rockstars like they were in the 60's, that is something that could never come back in that form, times just changed. Back then rock music was everything, now you have so many other things, and rock is often pushed in the 'indie'
scene. And when they start to have any commercial succes, they are sell-outs, and not 'cool' anymore. I really don't like that thought, I don't mind if the chards are full of 'indie' songs, I would like it.
I try to stay open to new music and new bands, I don't care if they are 'cool' or whatever, as long as I like the music.

kan-i-ta said:
There is indeed nothing truly new in Rock, but I don't mind. I like old music, and I like that 'kind' of music done right. And the term 'catchy', I like catchy music, there is nothing wrong with it. To make an album full of good catchy songs is an accomplishment.
Rockstars like they were in the 60's, that is something that could never come back in that form, times just changed. Back then rock music was everything, now you have so many other things, and rock is often pushed in the 'indie'
scene. And when they start to have any commercial succes, they are sell-outs, and not 'cool' anymore. I really don't like that thought, I don't mind if the chards are full of 'indie' songs, I would like it.
I try to stay open to new music and new bands, I don't care if they are 'cool' or whatever, as long as I like the music.

True, it can be an accomplishment to make a catchy album, but to me the music, even though recycling older music, is not near the same as the old music. That is why I don't listen that much new music...it's boring.

WhiteLinen said:
True, it can be an accomplishment to make a catchy album, but to me the music, even though recycling older music, is not near the same as the old music. That is why I don't listen that much new music...it's boring.

I know what you mean, that is why I don't compare old and new stuff, it is what it is.

WhiteLinen said:

I agree with you. I think there is good music nowadays, but nothing more than good, and I'm not really impressed either. And there's no such thing as real rockstars. I don't really think we can get new icons.

Or maybe the reason why I feel like this is because I actually like the old music best? Maybe it's because I love Led Zeppelin and other old bands so much that nothing compares anyway.

And I have to say that when it comes to Pete, I agree with strawberry daiquiri. He can live as much as he wants like a rockstar, but most people just know him for his drugs use and being Kate's boyfriend. His band is not that big. That's why I wont call him a rockstar.

ivypixie said:
I agree with you. I think there is good music nowadays, but nothing more than good, and I'm not really impressed either. And there's no such thing as real rockstars. I don't really think we can get new icons.

Or maybe the reason why I feel like this is because I actually like the old music best? Maybe it's because I love Led Zeppelin and other old bands so much that nothing compares anyway.

And I have to say that when it comes to Pete, I agree with strawberry daiquiri. He can live as much as he wants like a rockstar, but most people just know him for his drugs use and being Kate's boyfriend. His band is not that big. That's why I wont call him a rockstar.

I feel music these days is all about image...as is in Pete's case too. I categorize The Libertines and Babyshambles as mediocre bands with some catchy tunes. But still they are thought to be revolutionary, which I don't get...this happens with a lot of Brit bands. British music magazines like Q are all about creating a certain image and making people believe there is something real in all of the hype surrounding them.

Rock music is definetily deceased :ninja: Now it's all about rock image.

WhiteLinen said:
I feel music these days is all about image...as is in Pete's case too. I categorize The Libertines and Babyshambles as mediocre bands with some catchy tunes. But still they are thought to be revolutionary, which I don't get...this happens with a lot of Brit bands. British music magazines like Q are all about creating a certain image and making people believe there is something real in all of the hype surrounding them.

Rock music is definetily deceased :ninja: Now it's all about rock image.

If you don't like the music, it doesn't really matter. There is always an hudge archive of great music from the past. :flower:

kan-i-ta said:
If you don't like the music, it doesn't really matter. There is always an hudge archive of great music from the past. :flower:

That is fortunately true :flower:

But it is sort of sad that our world has become so un-innovative in many aspects...

WhiteLinen said:
That is fortunately true :flower:

But it is sort of sad that our world has become so un-innovative in many aspects...

Are you any good with an Guitar/Drums or anything?, maybe you could show us how it is done?:P :mohawk:

I will speak up for Pete Doherty, I think his songwriting can be considerably better than mediocre, and that the two Libertine albums and Babyshambles' Albion are very good rock 'n' roll records.

It is true that so far he has received far more notice for sex and drugs than for rock and roll, but I'm not going to give up on him yet.

I do agree that the "rock genre" has been pretty much co-opted and marketed to death, and I'll say that hip hop is the voice of rebellion du jour, at least in the US.

tangerine said:
I will speak up for Pete Doherty, I think his songwriting can be considerably better than mediocre, and that the two Libertine albums and Babyshambles' Albion are very good rock 'n' roll records.

It is true that so far he has received far more notice for sex and drugs than for rock and roll, but I'm not going to give up on him yet.

I do agree that the "rock genre" has been pretty much co-opted and marketed to death, and I'll say that hip hop is the voice of rebellion du jour, at least in the US.

I agree.

As for rebellion, I don't think it is around anymore, at all. People don't believe in it anymore, and they don't care. There is more of a 'we love to be depressed' thing going on today,with the emo bands like PatD and MCR.

kan-i-ta said:
Are you any good with an Guitar/Drums or anything?, maybe you could show us how it is done?:P :mohawk:

:P of course not. Altough I did play a little guitar years ago...:wink:

As for rebellion, I don't think it is around anymore, at all. People don't believe in it anymore, and they don't care. There is more of a 'we love to be depressed' thing going on today,with the emo bands like PatD and MCR.

True. We are far too cynical.

kan-i-ta said:

Couldn't agree more. Me and a friend talked about that for not so long ago. We talked about what people in the future would learn about the the first 10 years of the new century, and that was: kids loving to be depressed, trend to cut theirself, emo-kids and emo-music and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mihxxen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->