The Next True Rockstar

well it matters...
i used to like RHCP till they changed they sound so they could get more attention... also,offspring... when a band or an artist is new,the music is new and pure and has some strange energy... when they become famous they have 2 choices: to be boring for older fans or to go back to not being so popular,but to be loyal to the original sound... like blur...

m.j. said:
well it matters...
i used to like RHCP till they changed they sound so they could get more attention... also,offspring... when a band or an artist is new,the music is new and pure and has some strange energy... when they become famous they have 2 choices: to be boring for older fans or to go back to not being so popular,but to be loyal to the original sound... like blur...

A band is going to be naturally affected by succes. Because if they make there own music, they put what they feel and go trough into it, and that changes when your life changes. Maybe there are bands that change their sound, so that they would fit a broader audience, but maybe they just changed or grown as persons, and want to make other music.

Um, I personally think the problem with RHCP has nothing to do with success, since they did make good and funky music after their big success too, but the fact they are older. As sad as it sounds, but a lot of artists lose their ability to create good music when they lose their youth angst and (in this case) are not consuming drugs etc but going for tranquility. Only a few artists can get this "tranquility" thing right, and RHCP is not one of them, even though they will always be a bona fide ROCK band with a real ROCK star as the lead.

I dont' think it's purely age, but just that every artist has their prime, some for longer than others.
I think it's important for an artist to be really produtive, especially during their prime. The biggest bands - The Beatles + The Rolling Stones - were super productive, producing at least an album a year during their earlier years. A lot of bands today take more than 2 years between albums, and that makes the public lose interest in them, especially if the band isn't even that big yet.

WhiteLinen said:
As sad as it sounds, but a lot of artists lose their ability to create good music when they lose their youth angst and (in this case) are not consuming drugs etc but going for tranquility. Only a few artists can get this "tranquility" thing right, and RHCP is not one of them, even though they will always be a bona fide ROCK band with a real ROCK star as the lead.

That is not mutually exclusive - there are loads of bona fide rock stars who have managed to combine tranquility and rock stardom.

Just check out Johnny Thunders and Iggy working on their tranquility in this pic from http://www.geocities.com/sablethestarr :rolleyes:

IMO RHCP were never any good, anyway, they're just not channeling anything - not to me anyway.

Attachments

• JohnnySableIggyScan.jpg
    JohnnySableIggyScan.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
iluvjeisa said:
That is not mutually exclusive - there are loads of bona fide rock stars who have managed to combine tranquility and rock stardom.

Just check out Johnny Thunders and Iggy working on their tranquility in this pic from http://www.geocities.com/sablethestarr :rolleyes:

IMO RHCP were never any good, anyway, they're just not channeling anything - not to me anyway.

:lol:

No, but seriously...name rock stars who's music has stayed good after they have settled down and started the yoga classes.

oceanharlot said:
If we're talking rock star- meaning rock music, not pop music...

I agree with iluvjeisa in that I think that the 80's/90's produced Kurt Kobain, Manson, Axl Rose, as well as Billy Corgan, Anthony Keidis and Scott Weiland as the rock stars that come to my mind. But for now, I think the most influential are Thom Yorke, Conor Oberst and Jack & Megan White... the rest is just kind of fun, poppy rock that has always saturated the mainstream rock moment, but aren't really pushing forward in ways that will be remembered as innovative.
I can't believe you're the only one in this thread that mentioned Jack White. He's like the only rock star we have right now. He's well-known enough, maybe not exactly mainstream, but enough in the public's conscious to register. He's eccentric, he's considered a modern day guitar God by many critics, he's married to a model, he's received praise from Bob Dylan, Joe Perry, Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, Dave Grohl, Pete Townshend, and a host of others. He's like the only real rock star we have right now. He may not be like Pete Doherty constantly drugged up and in trouble, but he's already made a niche for himself in pop culture. Hell he even guested on the Simpsons!! Tonight and 3 nights ago he played with the Rolling Stones and he's already played with The Yardbirds, Bob Dylan, Loretta Lynn, David Bowie, The Stooges, Lou Reed, Billy Gibbons, etc.,,. Whether you like him or not, this is our rock star folks.

NickiLee said:
I can't believe you're the only one in this thread that mentioned Jack White. He's like the only rock star we have right now. He's well-known enough, maybe not exactly mainstream, but enough in the public's conscious to register. He's eccentric, he's considered a modern day guitar God by many critics, he's married to a model, he's received praise from Bob Dylan, Joe Perry, Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, Dave Grohl, Pete Townshend, and a host of others. He's like the only real rock star we have right now. He may not be like Pete Doherty constantly drugged up and in trouble, but he's already made a niche for himself in pop culture. Hell he even guested on the Simpsons!! Tonight and 3 nights ago he played with the Rolling Stones and he's already played with The Yardbirds, Bob Dylan, Loretta Lynn, David Bowie, The Stooges, Lou Reed, Billy Gibbons, etc.,,. Whether you like him or not, this is our rock star folks.

True.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mihxxen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->