The revolving door at Emanuel Ungaro (please put all Ungaro news here)

Though he's Colombian and he's representing my country, Cortazar's work is way to cheap looking for Ungaro...... crappy choice. But good luck I guess.

He shouldn't be the head designer at Ungaro. After looking at a few of the collections on his website, his design aesthetic is very superficial and has been done before. He needs to probably work under someone at a big house to develop before he takes on such a big career move.

^superficial...indeed,reese! that's precisely what i'm getting at.

masquerade...if i am not mistaken,as usual,it was a creative and marketing clash between he and the managers.

I'm really excited about this! :bounce:

yeah me too! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

I think he is a very talented designer, who has proved that repeatedly in the NY shows. :flower: Now he has a golden opportunity to hit the big time in Paris! B) Good luck Esteban! :kiss:

He's either going to surprise us all and come out with some thing that amazes us or crash and burn so spectacularly that it amazes us.

Either way I've got my popcorn ready.

It's really too bad Valli didn't stay, he's perfect for the house. Ah well.

Ungaro needs a freethinker, someone to push the house into the spotlight, into something notorious for forward yet chic collections. Essentially they need another Ghesquire or Stefano Pilati, not a bad Michael Kors.

My main issue is not whether Cortazar is a bad designer (although I don't think he is a good one) but what vision he has to offer Ungaro. I'm not convinced and his remarks in the brief interview posted above were less than assuring.

I actually think Christopher Kane would be an excellent choice. A good mix of technical prowess, strangeness, sexiness, and pop appeal.

^ I didn't think about Kane before but I agree he would have been a very suitable choice for Ungaro

I agree about Kane as well. I wonder if he was offered, but refused due to his dealings with Versace? I just cannot logically see Cortazar being asked before some other designers.

Wow, harsh criticisms.

This is slightly reminiscent of of YSL for the house of Dior...hopefully the end results arent similar

What really annoys me is how every new designer at Ungaro, leaves after a couple of seasons.
There truly is no brand identity to Emanuel Ungaro IMO. Season after season, there is the most random stuff coming out of the runway...I just don't get it. :wacko:
Esteban Cortazar sounds vaguely familiar to me....:buzz:

Wow, harsh criticisms.

This is slightly reminiscent of of YSL for the house of Dior...hopefully the end results arent similar

I suppose. But keep in mind YSL was already an assistant at Dior and was responsible for almost 30% of the collection at the time of Dior's death. Dior himself had named YSL as his successor. YSL had proven himself before he took the job and his first collection was met with rave reviews.

Cortazar holds no charmed place in fashion, he stands out because of his age but not of any abundant talent. I doubt Ungaro would find him to be a suitable replacement for Valli.

I wish the young man luck, he has as good of a chance as any of the last two designers to stick it through.

hm i never saw him to be the ungaro guy, but maybe he'll surprise us all.....hopefully.

I JUST saw him in the fabric store 1 week ago. WTF???????????????

I don't think this is a smart move, i dont think he is ready for this!

But I do wish him luck...

ergh...this is just as idiotic as appointing Julien McDonald to head Givenchy back in the days...I'm all about supporting young talents but his tacky taste has been unbearable so I'll cross my fingers that Ungaro won't suffer any more damages that it's already has...

Well... he's totally gorg. If he wasn't gay, I'd hit it.

On the fashion front, however- who knows? There were certainly some questions about Matthew Williamson at Pucci because of how awful his line is; but when he got there, he started doing better, hotter stuff than he does at his namesake line!

I'm holding off on any judgements until I see it. Estaban's namesake collections are an utter bore, but my beloved house of Ungaro has to be too wise to allow Lluhlier-Elie Saab-Baby Phat crap represent the house.

This is really a shame because I thought Dundas was perfect for Ungaro, he really made it his own Ungaro although I don't think he served the client well. He certainly saw the name through a very specific lense and that's exactly what caused Tom Ford to fail (in the opinion of many) at YSL.

Another no win situation from a cursed house.
The biggest hype is his being the youngest designer now installed at a house NOT the best. It may as well have been a celebrity. The attention such a bad appointment creates is in itself publicity (for the meanwhile).
These decisions tend to be made by men in suits as well which is never a good thing.
They will get rid of him like they have countless times before and the designer will only soil what little reputation he has built up.

i agree bidwell. i think it's really tarnishing their own rep by hiring and subsequently sacking in the same breath.....and now their hiring somebody who's not exactly the greatest of the youth. why not marios schwab? why not christian wijnants? those guys actually have a voice and a vision. and give him a chance? i would give jeremy scott a chance before i would esteban.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->