The Vegetarian & Vegan Thread #2

^wow they look wonderful! i would really like to have the recipe of that! :woot:

I always use almond milk in my coffee. I much prefer the flavor to soy milk, but it's consistency is definitely much less dense than regular milk. Taking that into consideration, I imagine almond cream is also slightly less thick than milk cream, though I've never tried it. I'd like to know your opinion!

^ Personally I love molasses ... obviously it's a different taste, but a yummy one ... for maple syrup, I like to buy grade B. Less $$, and more flavor.

Really?? :P I find that so strange since my entire life I've been using that mixed in food for my horses :lol: I didn't even know it was something people used in their food! Haha! But thank you, I might give it a go. You learn something new everyday :D

^ That's right, it's very good for you with the minerals ... I use it in place of brown sugar when cooking (not baking), and also in savory dishes where I want a little sweetness. It gives very good depth of flavor. I add a little to chili, for example.

I also like to buy dry molasses as fertilizer for plants. It smells great too ...

I prefer soy milk in my coffee even though i am not 100% vegan. I don't much care for milk.

HAve you tried coconut milk creamer? It's vegan and tastes really good. It's the best creamer I have ever tasted because it's not thin like rice or soy milk. There's a lot of flavors too like Hazelnut or my favorite French Vanilla.

I mentioned to my mum that I was going to buy some vegan milk/cream and she said she could make some almond milk for me. I have to say it was delicious and it also worked really well with coffee. I don't even miss the fat, feels more healthy like this : )

HAve you tried coconut milk creamer? It's vegan and tastes really good. It's the best creamer I have ever tasted because it's not thin like rice or soy milk. There's a lot of flavors too like Hazelnut or my favorite French Vanilla.

No I havent! But I love cooking with canned coconut milk, and have thought about just putting that in to coffee a few times. :innocent:

Thought you guys might be interested to know this ... there's an interview with Dr Weil in the current Whole Living about his new restaurant chainlet and cookbook. He mentions new research on sweeteners and that we can't really digest fructose. He said that maple syrup is the best sweetener in terms of low fructose content ...

There's also a recipe for a roasted sweet potato/poblano/other veggies soup made with coconut milk that I thought sounded fantastic and ripped out to try. (He did not mention molasses' standing ...)

Yum I love soups!
I've been making a lot of miso broth lately. I like to add curry sauce to it and peas or greens.

^ Sounds like inspiration for tonight! Or maybe I'll make a veggie bean curry, I gotta use up some lentils and kidney beans! ^_^

^ Awesome, a fellow New Yorker!

There are two great ones in the city, as well; Jivamuktea Cafe and Angelica's Kitchen, both in the East Village/Union Square area. Also, Caravan of Dreams isn't bad, but it's a hit or miss.

MussedPorcelain, thank you for your recommendations! I yelped all three. However, I'm looking for a date approved vibe. Aside from Blossom, where can we go that's nice, not too expensive, but a bit more quiet/intimate. Any other suggestions?

TIA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Something interesting and something sad (for me) that`s vegan-related
Sad...
I just read that M.A.C. cosmetics since selling in China, has conducted animal testing. They have been added to the Peta list of cruelty free companies. (Sorry if this news is old, but just recently brought to my attention). This really upsets me, I even sent them an email---something I never do, but felt really compelled to.

Interesting....
Tom Ford designed vegan boots for Anne Hathaway for her Les Miserables premiere in NYC.
Thoughts?
elle-anne-hathaway-de.jpg

Elle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->