Theory x Uniqlo

ChrissyM

girl who fell to earth
Reaction score
fashionista.com had an article up today about this collaboration

Cold? Us, too. Lucky for us, Uniqlo has collaborated with Theory on a capsule collection of down jackets for the whole family called T Down.

The collab must have gone pretty smoothly–Theory did the designing, Uniqlo did the manufacturing and both labels are owned by the same corporation, Fast Retailing. The resulting jackets are about as sleek and functional as puffers can get.

In fact, they remind us a bit of +J, Uniqlo’s ongoing Jil Sander-designed capsule collection, which ended last year, shortly before Sander returned to her namesake label. Among the most beloved pieces from that collaboration were the coats. They were chic, expensive-looking (but not actually expensive) and warm. When that collaboration came to an end, we no longer knew what to say when asked where to find a coat with those parameters (this question gets asked a lot in New York)–until now.

Prices range from $99 for a baby jacket (aw) to $129-$149 for an adult jacket. Click through for a peek at the collection, which hits Uniqlo and Theory stores November 15.

Attachments

• 06_15_12_shot10_009.jpg
    06_15_12_shot10_009.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 06_15_12_shot10_012.jpg
    06_15_12_shot10_012.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 06_15_12_shot11_005.jpg
    06_15_12_shot11_005.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 06_15_12_shot12_005.jpg
    06_15_12_shot12_005.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 06_15_12_shot13_004.jpg
    06_15_12_shot13_004.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 06_15_12_shot14_007.jpg
    06_15_12_shot14_007.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1
Just only these jackets, If there is any other pieces?

^Yeah, I'm wondering, too. This is so random, even if they're owned by the same corporation. But I do actually like the b/w and the grey jacket, those are really cool and interesting for down jackets.

Thanks for posting this, Chrissy! :heart:

i don't know if the images are the entire collection, but it does seem to be just coats/outerwear...

and I assume there are both men's and women's versions because the article mentioned coats for the whole family...

Here's some more info from style.com (bolding is my own:(

At most of the major fashion conglomerates, each brand operates as its own fiercely independent fiefdom—you’d hardly expect Louis Vuitton and Fendi to join forces on a bag, though they happen to be corporate siblings at LVMH. But at Theory, Andrew Rosen is working a different angle. Rosen’s Theory is owned by Japan’s Fast Retailing, which also owns Uniqlo, among others; and now, with a new capsule collection of down jackets and vests, Rosen is bringing Theory and Uniqlo together. T down, as the collection is known, draws on the design sensibility of the former and the production expertise of the latter to gin up some of the sharpest jackets we’ve seen this (early) winter. And because of Uniqlo’s manufacturing capabilities, they’re both super affordable (topping out at $149 for a hooded jacket, nearly unheard of for down) and available for men, women, kids, and baby. The women’s styles and campaign debut exclusively here on Style.com. They’ll be in Uniqlo and Theory stores and Theory.com—though presumably not for long—on November 15. Could this kick off a trend for intragroup collaborations fashion-world-wide? It’s not especially likely, but it’s a warming thought. —Matthew Schneier

thanks for the added info! I will check these out next week. I am in need of a warm coat, and I have avoided puffer coats for so long. I may just try this one on

Definitely interested in this. I can see them being annoyingly popular at my school but I don't care if I can wear a puffer and not look puffy. :smile:

another interesting thing to note is that Uniqlo has re-issued some of the +J down jackets...

it's possible that uniqlo owns the designs and can keep rei-ssuing Jil Sander's designs for years to come if they choose to...

anyway-
a +J down jacket that i got last year on major markdown is now back on the selling floor for $169
*without the +J label this time...

hrmph...!
:angry:...
and they have a bunch of other 'career' stuff that all smells like +J...
i don't like it...it's fishy...
:ermm:...

another interesting thing to note is that Uniqlo has re-issued some of the +J down jackets...

it's possible that uniqlo owns the designs and can keep rei-ssuing Jil Sander's designs for years to come if they choose to...

anyway-
a +J down jacket that i got last year on major markdown is now back on the selling floor for $169
*without the +J label this time...

hrmph...!
:angry:...
and they have a bunch of other 'career' stuff that all smells like +J...
i don't like it...it's fishy...
:ermm:...

thats very interesting! last time i was in uniqlo (on labor day) they still had a lot of +J jackets and winter weather items. they were 50% off...i assumed they had brought them back out of storage.

i'd rather they keep trying to sell the items than destroy them.

H&M destroys their unsold designer items. :unsure: they either get cut up at the local stores or sent back to sweden for incineration. :blink:

i'm not keen on these theory x uniqlo down coats. they dont really look that different than the normal uniqlo down items.

so, if Theyskens is the creative head of Theory... does that mean he designed these coats?

theyskens only designs theyskens' theory...
there is a whole bunch of theory basic stuff that he doesn't design, i am pretty sure he had little or nothing to do with this...

would be interesting to see what he would do actually...:P

This is so major for them; FINALLY they successfully merge brands for. This makes incredible sense for Fast Retailing as a company expanding into the US.

It's launching here tomorrow at 9am. I really want the men's jacket, have no idea about the sizing though. I've had Uniqlo pieces before that ran huge, yet Jil Sander ran pretty small!

I got the men's one this morning. It's rather irritating that a men's short jacket is £99 and the women's very long one is also £99, yet takes up probably double the fabric. Very irritating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slimshelly
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->