Jil Sander for Uniqlo

When I went to get that piece for a friend the day the collection launched, it was sold out.

I can't wait for Spring/summer this time. Hopefully they stock menswear correctly unlike this past fall/winter collection. Could not even get the matching vest for my suit...

the winter coats have all been marked down 50% at the new york store.
one of the spring campaign images was just released.

so new items may be in the store imminently. :woot:

i love the electric blue mans parka.

Ohhh, that red drop-waisted, pleated mini dress... Perfect neckline and colour! Actually, all the dresses seem great from the product shots they've provided on the website. Glad to see she's expanding her repertoire here, I was afraid the collection would rely too heavily on lightweight nylon coats/jackets, but it seems the collection is slowly but consistantly moving into a 'complete' offering. Bravo!

i just went in and got a really great blouse in a lovely taupe colour...
it was the last one in the store so i think it was meant to be...
very very pleased!
:P

also picked up some pants but they will go back...
i don't quite like the fit...

sizes are running larger than usual this time!...
:o

+J will be no more after the f/w 2011 season...:(

TOKYO--Uniqlo and Jil Sander are parting ways.

Uniqlo said Thursday that Jil Sander's fall-winter collection for the +J label will be her last after a three-year run.

"With the recent completion of the design of the...fall and winter collection, Ms. Sander and [Uniqlo] agreed that they had fully explored the possibilities of their creative collaboration and accomplished what they had set out to do. Consequently, the two parties have decided to wrap up their design consulting agreement with this collection," Uniqlo, a unit of Fast Retailing Co., Ltd., said in a release.

Hamburg-based Sander inked the design consulting agreement with Uniqlo in 2009 to creatively oversee its men’s and women’s apparel and launch a new dedicated collection. +J debuted in October 2009. Although the original agreement called for the designer to oversee almost all of Uniqlo's other product lines, that never really happened and instead Sander focused her efforts on +J.

At the time, the move was touted as the return of Sander to fashion after she had left the company that bears her name not once but twice as a result of disputes with the brand’s then-owner Prada.
Many considered the partnership as a new facet in fashion’s high-low trend, since Sander chose to take on a long-term role in the mass segment that aimed to redefine notions of value with premium quality clothes at democratic prices — rather than just do a one-season, limited collection as many of her peers have done.

“I wanted to have a new challenge and a new dream,” she said at the time her role at the Japanese firm was announced.

The +J collection allowed Sander to hone in the minimalist aesthetic that is considered her trademark, starting from the simple black logo in sans serif font to the pieces themselves, which ranged from long navy coats to hooded jackets and crisp white shirts.

Sander has a reputation for her quest for perfection and precision, and is considered to be difficult to please. Her collaboration with Uniqlo, however, got off to a strong start and after two collections, she decided to extend the contract indefinitely in April 2010.

“It’s very nice for me that they listen, that they understand, they go forward,” she said at the time. “It’s almost like destiny.”

wwd / june 23, 2011

I am the most hurt by this. Told myself that when the Fall collection rolls around I will only be buying shirts and pants but this being her last means I have to get coats and knits too! Already own multiple suits and shirts so just seen this as a time to complete it all. Just hope that I can find some of the pieces I wanted but missed out on floating on ebay (puffer blazer, slim short suit) or elsewhere.

I will miss her trousers most. :(

Uniqlo is just not enough for Jil and I can totally understand that.

i'm sad about this. i will miss the coats and jackets the most.

i wonder what she'll do next.

i'm really quite surprised...
it seemed to me that the only good thing at uniqlo these days is the +J line...
and there have been lines around the store when the +J collections launched...
so it's hard for me to understand this...
:unsure:

definitely a bummer to hear. +J pieces were nice looking and really great quality for the price.

..and another sad thing is that no matter whom she works with in the future the quality probably wont be as good as +J. even if it was a higher end retailer, IMO.

I'm not too surprised...the line was not only set at a different price point than the rest of Uniqlo, but also espoused a completely different aesthetic and philosophy. Sure, the quality/price/design were good, but I think most people turn to Uniqlo when they need cheap and casual items like tees, leggings, underwear, sportswear. Most of which are knits. By contrast, Jil's stuff is largely tailored, meaning there's the additional problem of fit. There were lots of +J items left over for summer sales, and on sale they were still more expensive than the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Burke
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->