UK Vogue November 2018 : Fran Summers by Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

I thought the incongruous phone booth was there to go along with the idea of how out-of-place it is to wear such clothing today - it's like she's a time traveller, a couture Doctor Who, and she's arrived in New York, circa 2018, after sorting out some unfinished business from a few decades back.

First stop, the nearest department store, to find more suitable clothing for fitting in.

I am not a fan of the cover, there is too much going on for a cover shot and the lack of coherence between Edward's covers is a bit annoying, but the editorial (posted by I&V on instagram) is simply F A B U L O U S.

Baby steps. However, the layout looks good, but how sad is it that UK VOGUE, is now the home of UK Harper’s Bazaar’s old layout. I mean, how unoriginal can you get. (...) The image, like what Vogue28, said, is too busy for my taste. It had a lot of potentional to be honest. However, the busy streets killed it for me. This looks like an ANTM photo of the one who gets eliminated in that episode.

ahahahah love your quotes always!!! It´s SOOOOOO UK Harper´s Bazaar layout indeed ! I don´t like anything about this cover but the editorial looks a bit Italian Vogue-esque to me.

Fran! :heart: And she looks every inch the beauty. This is really big for her. I sort of like the uber-glam styling, but I'm not sure the shot as a whole works for the cover. Do understand why I&V went gritty. A refined setting would've pushed this cover into the Harper's realm, and I don't think Edward would want that. The real shame is that they had to shoot this in America! Why????

As for the two edit previews? Meh! VP used to do this couture in the street thing on the regular. Plus the shot of Fran leaping up the stairs remind me too much of I&V's recent mess in VI with Vittoria.

Yes Fran! Definitely the best (newish) model to me in recent times.

Not sure about this cover, appreciate the 'daring' so to speak, but not sure how this will grab people given that Edward's Vogue thus far has been very celebrity/supermodel driven.

Omg I love this cover! It's elegant yet fun, and it's outside yay! Also congratulations to Fran for this major achievement. It seems like Edward really loves her.

Unexpected and 'nice' but the color of that dress doesn't work for me

He has a very American aesthetic or at least, a very American point of view. It’s more and more obvious.
His work for VI felt very international but now...

Fran has a beautiful eyes, a close up would have been great. I don'y get the styling, I don't get the cover. This is just wrong, what a waste of model.

This would've been a really great cover if the image was maybe zoomed in a bit more. There is too much going on in it. I really dig the layout however.

I have a soft spot for this kind of Hepburn-esque, debutante styling. And yes, shooting in New York, in the midst of its hustle and bustle is as cliched and basic as donning a Holly Golightly's get-up for Halloween, but when done right, like I&V did for this cover and editorial, the result is nothing short of a mesmerizing fashion escapism despite the set being rooted in a gritty realism. The shot in Viktor & Rolf would make a better cover though.

She looks so cute! I'm glad she scores the Cover of British Vogue. I quite like the cover even it's a bit messy with photo and texts.

He has a very American aesthetic or at least, a very American point of view. It’s more and more obvious.
His work for VI felt very international but now...

I've been noticing that as well. Not only the styling, but the kind of images he goes for. I'm not sure whether it's needed for British Vogue because it's a different market which used to set the tone for others to follow (yes, even under Alexandra, but that may not have been intentional.) For some time the dour and brick-walled Mclellan aesthetic, or gritty How/Chambers/Grand styling used to be copied by other editions, even VP. By adopting an American sensibility will mean we no longer have a unique 'visual style' reiterated.

On the other hand, it's making an interesting case for the return of classic glamour, something which even American Vogue appears to have abandoned.

Subscribers cover - (the gold circle isn’t part of the cover)
7EB1C8CF-CD4A-4E76-A609-A5933584FE5C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vittoooooo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->