Urban Brands

*Ecko_Angel*

Reaction score
From just broswing through the search engine, I get the impression that you guys don't like urban brands. Although it might not be everyone, it seems like it's a majority. I think brands like Rocawear, Baby Phat, Enyce, etc. are just as nice as Gucci, Chanel, Prada and so on. Sometimes I'm afraid to post my opinions on these lines because I'd probably get backlash like "Oh you have no taste" or "TACKY!".

I just want to know, why do some of you guys feel so strongly about some of these brands. :ninja: :doh: :unsure:

We feel strongly about fashion - hence we are on a fashion website. There is logic in lines somewhere :flower:

Yes. And I have just as strong feelings about RocaWear, Baby Phat and Enyce. As it happens I emphatically detest them, but that's not the point.

We're here because we have strong feeling about fashion - both negative and positive.

If you like something say you like it and why you like it. Be prepared to argue with people to defend your viewpoint as long as they remain polite - if they say anything rude or offensive then they clearly haven't got anything better to say.

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Aug 11 2004, 05:46 PM
Yes. And I have just as strong feelings about RocaWear, Baby Phat and Enyce. As it happens I emphatically detest them, but that's not the point.

We're here because we have strong feeling about fashion - both negative and positive.

If you like something say you like it and why you like it. Be prepared to argue with people to defend your viewpoint as long as they remain polite - if they say anything rude or offensive then they clearly haven't got anything better to say.
[snapback]328901[/snapback]​

yeah i also detest them...but if you like them then whatever? it's not like we need to fight about our different styles...

Originally posted by HeyYaBaby@Aug 12 2004, 02:37 AM
I know but aren't these brands fashion also?
[snapback]328893[/snapback]​

Right...but, as I'm sure you've notised, this site, while about fashion, does seem to focus on some more than others.
Nothing wrong with that.

People can simply agree to disagree, as things come up, I think most everyone around here is mature enough.

On the other hand, there's also a bit of validity in considering one's environment/context...

:flower:

If you like something, say you like it.

But don't feel offended or hurt when we say that we don't.

I'll tell you what I have against "urban" brands you named.... ...I think they're tacky and most of them have obvious logos slashed right in the middle. I personnaly hate obvious logos, I find them really unattractive. I never liked designs of brands like Baby Phat, Rocawear.... And it's just that I don't like that kind of clothing... And I don't think you can compare those types of brands with Gucci, Prada..... It's two TOTALLY different types of clothing... Anyways, it all comes down to personnal taste.

To each their own. :wink:

Well that's all I wanted. It just seemed to me that there was like a unsaid grudge against all of these brands. I felt that since it's what I like to wear, you guys would think I'm tacky or something.[/FONT=Arial][/SIZE=1]

:flower:

Edit: I didn't close my tags. :blush:

Alot of the clothes would be decent, basic teen clothes- if they weren't logo plastahed.

i don't know ...i have always said there is fashion and then there are clothes...

it's not all the same...a lot of it has to do with the level of quality and workmanship put into a garment...and also the level of creativity. and design..

for example...a rocawear sweatshirt with a logo has nothing to do with fashion for me...that is clothing...and maybe graphic design for the logo...but not fashion design...because there isn't enough originality to call it a design...it's just a garment...a product...

the same goes for most urban clothing...it's basketball jerseys and hot pants and timberlands etc...and a whole lot of denim...

that just isn't fashion in my world...that's clothing...and i'm not even going into whether i like it or not...because that's a separate matter...but i don't think it's reasonable to claim that urban streetwear has anything to do with rochas, for example...

it's just different...good or bad...either way...that's my opinion...

:angel:

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 13 2004, 01:37 AM
i don't know ...i have always said there is fashion and then there are clothes...

it's not all the same...a lot of it has to do with the level of quality and workmanship put into a garment...and also the level of creativity. and design..

for example...a rocawear sweatshirt with a logo has nothing to do with fashion for me...that is clothing...and maybe graphic design for the logo...but not fashion design...because there isn't enough originality to call it a design...it's just a garment...a product...

the same goes for most urban clothing...it's basketball jerseys and hot pants and timberlands etc...and a whole lot of denim...

that just isn't fashion in my world...that's clothing...and i'm not even going into whether i like it or not...because that's a separate matter...but i don't think it's reasonable to claim that urban streetwear has anything to do with rochas, for example...

it's just different...good or bad...either way...that's my opinion...

:angel:
[snapback]330476[/snapback]​

:clap:

To expand, although not too on topic -- there is fashion, and then there is just expensive, quality clothing. For example, Armani is not fashion, that man's creative process (if he had any to beging with) has long been dead. At the same time an Armani suit is a quality garment.

I refuse to wear urban brands for the following reasons:

1. As an Black woman, I don't want to go around dressed like a stereotype. The people who design these brands seem to think that all of us are the same and want to look exactly the same. Hip-hop 'culture' is not my culture.

2. I don't want to put any money in the pockets of former drug dealers/criminals or their tacky arrogant wives. There are numerous other Black people I can support that are doing positive things.

:angry: :boxer:

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Aug 13 2004, 11:41 AM

1. As an Black woman, I don't want to go around dressed like a stereotype. The people who design these brands seem to think that all of us are the same and want to look exactly the same. Hip-hop 'culture' is not my culture.

2. I don't want to put any money in the pockets of former drug dealers/criminals or their tacky arrogant wives. There are numerous other Black people I can support that are doing positive things.

[snapback]330809[/snapback]​

:clap: black women/men who don't buy into the hip-pop culture are my weakness :flower: :heart: (i don't mean sexually :lol: )

Originally posted by faust@Aug 13 2004, 11:47 AM
:clap: black women/men who don't buy into the hip-pop culture are my weakness :flower: :heart: (i don't mean sexually :lol: )
[snapback]330814[/snapback]​

:lol: :lol: Thanks faust. I am glad that someone appreciates me. :lol: :flower:

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Aug 13 2004, 11:41 AM

[snapback]330809[/snapback]​

:huh: Your an embarrassment to the African American race. You should support your own. That is why us blacks can't get anywhere now. And why are you stereotyping someone saying that they are former drug dealers. Such an embarrassment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
konster
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->