Urban Brands

Originally posted by étoiledunord@Aug 19 2004, 11:32 AM
What do hip-hop clothes have to do with blacks ? Absolutely nothing !! Everyone is free to dress as they wish. That is their own business, not mine or anyone elses.

Just cause I'm Finnish doesn't mean I have to walk around in a Santa Claus costume now does it ?

Why are blacks in America even called Afro-Americans ?!?! They are Americans just like all other Americans. Whites aren't called Euro-Americans now r they ? :wacko:
[snapback]338497[/snapback]​

because this country is race-conscious and likes to label and categorize people by their color...its the way it is, unfortunately. as for the urban brand conversation...i understand that some people do not like the tacky logos etc...but that sort of crticism can be said about a LOT of designers...D & G, louis vuitton, chanel, etc...but there is not this overriding hatred for these designers...what i find disconcerting is the disproportional criticism of urban brands for aspects of the clothing that is used by many designers...

regarding another point that somebody made about D & G etc using hip-hip influences in their clothing for some seasons...i have no problem with this if they in fact appreciated people of color as individuals and not just try to ride on the success of hip-hop culture...how many models of color do you see on their runways? how often do salespeople in the store treat patrons of color as well as white patrons? how often do these designers feature models of color in their advertisements? my point is, i hate how designers cash in on hip-hip culture or eastern cultures like indian cultures or east asian cultures but dont give a damn about women of color and dont appreciate their beauty etc

I actually didn't put color into culture and made sure I stated how I hate the term black culture. It's as if all things done by a small segment of the black population is a reflection of blacks overall. Others made the statements about how they refused to go around looking like a stereotype and that the people behind these brands design thinking all blacks want to look the same. How silly, espeically given that its predominatly white suburban kids purchasing the goods. There's no sign saying For Black Only (except FUBU). Why would you think they designed the item with you in mind..and thinking that all blacks dress one way? They are simply targeting as certain market as all designers do.

The problem, and I tried to explain before is that people have this trigger happy mentality when it comes to bashing *black brands* and saying they are ghetto and logoed out, but many *white brands* are way logoed out. yet no one finds a correlation to a white poster refusing to dress like that stereotype.

Someone said hip hop culture has perveted black culture into a horrible stereotype. That's quite narrow minded and shows that the person has no knowledge of black or hip hop culture. It does show they may watch a bit too much MTV and have their own stereotypes, of which they look for evidence to reinforce them.

What you wear doesn't make you, so just because a Black Man wears Sean John or Pelle Pelle, doesn't mean he's a streotypical black man (sad that it was even said here). Again, I ask, what about white people wearing *white brands*? Or the tons of white suburban kids who have embraced *black brands*

I wasn't trying to be mean, just offer up some clarification.

I wish it were that simple :smile: but I will try to be as brief as possible.

This is a society that was built upon the idea of seperation by race. Race as a social construct shaped the foundation of this country and continues to divide this nation. Blacks weren't allowed to claim the title *American* (hell, they were counted as 3/5th of person for a very long time), so the distrinction was made clear...and has lasted and will never likely go away.

White Americans have been dominant since this nations's founding.
There was white and then there was everybody else. Hence, white Americans never needed defining. If you weren't white, you weren't right. Now, there was once a time when Europeans made up the majority of immingrants that saying you were a German, Polish or Irish American was quite important, widely done and some in these groups suffered discrimination....but it wasn't race based. Gotta be careful with the race term, because often time people will confuse race and ethnicity or nationality. As immirgration from European has slowed, this changed and new groups replaced them (Lations, Asians).

As for the term African Americans.....most blacks are unable to trace their history as many white Americans can. Few, if any, know which country they come from in Africa (some people often refer to Africa as a country, LOL)...so the term African American is used. Your question why is a very good one, especially since many Africans ask the same thing, as African Americans have little or no ties/knowledge to Africa. It's simply the best agreed upon, PC way of classification by race :smile:

Originally posted by étoiledunord@Aug 19 2004, 12:32 PM
What do hip-hop clothes have to do with blacks ? Absolutely nothing !! Everyone is free to dress as they wish. That is their own business, not mine or anyone elses.

Just cause I'm Finnish doesn't mean I have to walk around in a Santa Claus costume now does it ?

Why are blacks in America even called Afro-Americans ?!?! They are Americans just like all other Americans. Whites aren't called Euro-Americans now r they ? :wacko:
[snapback]338497[/snapback]​

Hi all, this is my first post and I just had to respond... and put my experiences here. I'm black, and grew up in Europe and America, my stepfather being european. I find the discrimination in America from blacks upon blacks who in their eyes aren't 'real' blacks to be appalling. There is only one type of 'real' black, and they all dress a certain way (there's the ethnic black, hip hop black, or the I've-made-it suit and tie black). And you only listen to a certain type of music, otherwise you're a sell-out, trying to be white, and people become extremely judgemental. I don't consider myself a sell-out, I wouldn't know to what.

And there is most definitely a stereotyping of black people going on, in terms of clothing...you can't deny that. The image that is being sold worldwide - and this is what gets me the most- by blacks of themselves is unfortunately not a very positive one. And people out in the world believe these (by blacks self-made) stereotypes, believe me, especially when they see it every day on MTV and have nothing to compare their impressions to.

How these people can honestly sell their story that they are doing good to their community by glorifying gang life, poor education, etc. is beyond me (and are even more brazenly making money off of 'their own') - I know no other cultural group that has sold themselves or willingly portrayed themselves this way to the extent that black americans have been doing for years now. And I think they have done more harm to themselves than anyone on the outside could do. Just recently at my workplace, there were some women (who are/were married to black americans) discussing(!) how 'adapted' the blacks are that grow up here in Europe...once again as if there is only one way of 'being black'.

So I'm confused - is black just a race, a further physical trait as important as having red hair or black hair or is it a culture? If it is a culture, by whom is this culture defined? How is it portrayed? Well, there are a lot of people out there who don't really ponder questions like this, they are glad if they know about their own culture, and only too willingly accept the answers fed to them by Dr. Dre and Snoop, Li'l Kim and Foxy Brown, etc. For the world at large, there aren't any larger black faces. Not even Colin Powell or Condoleeza Rice, they're not on TV every day over here. Being on the 'outside' I can easily see this. Expecting other people to learn about your 'culture' is utopia to me, most people don't give a hoot, they accept whatever that culture portrays themselves as being. I also can't see the vast majority of white people being racist anymore, I know so many that are just frustrated with the whole issue. And I see so many black people isolating themselves, and forcing others to choose between having white friends and 'being black'.

As to the label thing, I've seen white people slam their own label ho's, or refuse to wear labels - just take a look around this site, you'll find enough posts of people sick of LV bags and the like. And it's only this site.

As to stylegurrl being the 'good black girl', ugh. That's such a typical guilt trip argument that is effectively used to squash criticism. She just stated her valid thoughts, which are, unfortunately based in reality. That's another thing that annoys me immensly. No true black person is ever allowed to criticize black people, EVER. Never forget, black people are victims, and victims never do anything wrong, in fact they don't need to do anything, they're too busy being victimized.

But all in all, I think people that represent your side of the story (Theory) extremely important, knowing and sharing the history of it all and trying to keep a critical eye open is for our race, of course invaluable. But so is being open-minded towards other points of view and working with them, keeping history history, moving past blaming (we've healed enough now, and we still have massive work ahead of us, that's just the way it is!) and moving into the real and honest situation as it is now. Our forefathers fought their battles, and they accomplished alot, it's not right for us to want to fight their battles over again, as if they never accomplished anything. We need to fight our own demons now, they fought the outside world to give us the space to fight our next battle in our growth phase - ourselves. And we can't run away from that, by continuing to look outside and blaming others...don't you notice, blaming and such comes across as being whiny = immature, child-like. Adults don't blame and complain, they accept a situation as it is, and if they don't like it, do what it takes to change it. Period. No buts, ifs, whens or whatever. Life isn't fair to anyone, no matter who, but whoever said it was meant to be? And people translate these everyday experiences to everything, including cultural groups, that's just human nature.

ENOUGH!!! :lol: and all that for my first post, I'm sorree!!! I just had to put my thoughts down to this topic...! Hope I didn't scare you all off!

Peace
K

wow...i still don't think any of those urban brands qualify as fashion...but i am so proud and impressed by this group of individuals...you guys make me proud to be a human being...

such thoughtful and well developed statements...i have some questions about certain things...but...all in all...i'm very proud to be exchanging thoughts and ideas with such a highly evolved group of individuals...of all races and sexes...

you guys f***ing ROCK>>>!!! :clap: :mohawk:

Originally posted by Kimkhuu@Aug 12 2004, 06:39 PM
I'll tell you what I have against "urban" brands you named.... ...I think they're tacky and most of them have obvious logos slashed right in the middle. I personnaly hate obvious logos, I find them really unattractive. I never liked designs of brands like Baby Phat, Rocawear.... And it's just that I don't like that kind of clothing... And I don't think you can compare those types of brands with Gucci, Prada..... It's two TOTALLY different types of clothing... Anyways, it all comes down to personnal taste.

To each their own. :wink:
[snapback]330078[/snapback]​

Now that a DUMB comment,
Most of them don't have HUGE logos,
SO I have no idea where you have been looking LOL

If you ever made an effort to take fashion seriously then you would have studied season by season the attire developed by these labels and noticed that most of them do not have HUGE logo.

Your probably looking at old MTV vids from 1994 era where the cameras used to blurr out the logos. LOL

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Aug 13 2004, 11:41 AM
I refuse to wear urban brands for the following reasons:

1. As an Black woman, I don't want to go around dressed like a stereotype. The people who design these brands seem to think that all of us are the same and want to look exactly the same. Hip-hop 'culture' is not my culture.

2. I don't want to put any money in the pockets of former drug dealers/criminals or their tacky arrogant wives. There are numerous other Black people I can support that are doing positive things.

:angry: :boxer:
[snapback]330809[/snapback]​

Comment Number 1 is straight B/S.
Companies design clothes,
its up to you how you wear them,
how is the industry dictating the way that you dress unless you can't think for yourself.
I dip and dab in all types of labels, so how can I or anyone else be stereotyped,
unless you use advertisements as instructions in how to dress?!

Comment Number 2 is B/S!
There are Drug Dealers and Criminals in every race and behind every the scenes in every genre of entertainment, fashion, music, sports and film.

I guess you won't be supporting any genre of entertainment, sports, fashion, music and film in the future then.

Guess you had better read the book NO LOGO and realise how much corruption there is in society.

Originally posted by HeyYaBaby@Aug 11 2004, 08:18 PM
From just broswing through the search engine, I get the impression that you guys don't like urban brands. Although it might not be everyone, it seems like it's a majority. I think brands like Rocawear, Baby Phat, Enyce, etc. are just as nice as Gucci, Chanel, Prada and so on. Sometimes I'm afraid to post my opinions on these lines because I'd probably get backlash like "Oh you have no taste" or "TACKY!".

I just want to know, why do some of you guys feel so strongly about some of these brands. :ninja: :doh: :unsure:
[snapback]328883[/snapback]​

Hey Baby!

I like them, but I like other designers too like Gucci and Prada.

It depends how you rock them.

I don't and never use the word Urban, its a 'friendly' term for the word Black.
The media started to use the word Urban because they wanted to use a word that would not offend and would capture other audiences.

So to call it black clothing wouldn't even fit right with me either,

its just clothing :wink:

Sean John and Phat Farm have a new range of suits and blazers and polos coming out for this fall so I have no idea why people say things such as " Most of them have huge logos" HAHAHAAHAHA

even the urban market is jumping on the individuality bandwagon...

Urban distinction

In the urban market which sets the style direction for a powerful audience of consumers, the signs of a more individual expression is palpable. Moving away from the hardened identity of the dark sweatsuits and indistinct outerwear, hip hoppers and city dwellers are again embracing preppy styles that speaks volumes for the wearer. The arrival of vibrant stripes and tangy-colored polo shirts (Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica) that burned up the streets of New York this summer is a forecast to some of the changes to come. This is where men's embrace of their individuality will take hold. They'll make bold pronouncements through colors and prints — not only in clothing but in accessories, like trainers and bags. Good examples of this bold accessorizing are Nike's gold Air Force Ones, JB Classics couture trainers in striking color combinations, limited edition trainers from Puma, Adidas, etc and Comme des Garcons' gold backpack — even Jansport's new line of embellished backpacks is a part of the trend.
A year ago we reported on the downsizing of hip-hoppers' clothing, which forecast this emergence of the individual, by showing the body, instead of effacing it with unnecessary shapeless fabric.
P. Diddy, the undisputed trendsetter, has taken to wearing bespoke suits, and is also putting a new face on style in this market. What says self expression better than showing your best side to the world? In the case of Outkast and the Black Eyed Peas, showing your madcap, unbridled styling influences is another approach. Their appeal to the younger generation to wear whatever they please will be a boon for the alternative styles.
Brands like FAL by Jeffrey Grubb and Hommebody are taking the pared down success of their leisurewear and are injecting it with personalized girly details: a ruffle here, a satin roping there, and so forth. Fitting in is falling out of vogue, and dressing uniquely is the new leisurewear.
-Jason Campbell

Okay my turn to add my two cents. :wink:

I'm white, caucassion. Whatever you wanna call it. and I love different cultures. In fact I wish I could have had the oppertunity to have a more distinct look such as those who have mixed parents and the such. And what I think is that the people who first started to wear the "hip- hop" style were the blacks/African Americans. So I think that more people associate the hip-hop style with them even though some white/caucassion people also wear the same clothing type.

As for the big expensive designers, some of their clothing I just fall in love with. But I am not one of those people who "position" my bag or clothing so you can see the label/logo. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a person do that. Hmm. I mean, some designers have such unique and interesting designs that they can be sold for more money. I myself wish they were less expensive so I could own more of the beautiful clothing. But maybe that would take away the uniqueness of the clothing. I don't know. But I do know that different people have different tastes. Maybe what some people don't like about the hip-hop styles is that they all look pretty much the same. They follow the same "requirements" (Don't know how else to put it.). At least the ones I've seen. There might be some styles out there I have yet to discover that have their own unique style. I am also aware that their are some non hip-hop styles that follow the same line of things.

I like to do my own thing and maybe that's why I don't like the "urban" styles. But some designers I don't like either because they are to similar to another. Some I refuse to wear because too many people have them. For me that erases the whole point of designing clothing. I like to be different and define myself from others because I want to show my uniqueness and that I'm not the same as other people. That I am a completely different being from them.

Sorry if I spelled some words wrong. Can't be perfect. :smile: And I hope you can all understand my point of view and where I stand in the fashion world.

I think urban brands are good too...yes their completely different to the type of fashion designers that are usually talked about in these forums..gucci, prada, fendi, etc....

but i guess most people here are just most interested in High Fashion..i have nothing against any urban brands. :smile: i think some are pretty good..i guess most people here just are more itnerested in high fashion.

Originally posted by HeyYaBaby@Aug 12 2004, 09:18 AM
Sometimes I'm afraid to post my opinions on these lines because I'd probably get backlash like "Oh you have no taste"

[snapback]328883[/snapback]​
Even if we hated the clothes with a passion, I don't think we'd ever say that. :wink:

From just broswing through the search engine, I get the impression that you guys don't like urban brands. Although it might not be everyone, it seems like it's a majority. I think brands like Rocawear, Baby Phat, Enyce, etc. are just as nice as Gucci, Chanel, Prada and so on. Sometimes I'm afraid to post my opinions on these lines because I'd probably get backlash like "Oh you have no taste" or "TACKY!".

I wear labels like Sean John, and Rocawear myself, but in not so obvious ways. As I get older, I learn that I don't have to have a large Sean John sign on my shirt to look nice. I def. agree with you when you say that these brands have stuff that is as nice as Gucci. Maybe people on this board already have a set idea about what urban brands are all about, and that is not wrong, but I think it should be said that it is changing. There is something for everyone. I recently purchased a corduroy blazer from Sean John, and it was mistaken for Calvin Klein, go figure! If you like it, you like it-if you don't, you don't. You be your own judge! :flower:

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Aug 13 2004, 08:41 AM

2. I don't want to put any money in the pockets of former drug dealers/criminals or their tacky arrogant wives. There are numerous other Black people I can support that are doing positive things.

:angry: :boxer:
[snapback]330809[/snapback]​

Okay, I think I know who the tacky arrogant wife is, but who are the drug dealers?

I agree with the distinction that softgrey makes and i think even sean combs and damon dash would agree with this distinction which is why they are trying to shift to a higher end market with less of an emphasis on logos. The Sean John line has always been more tasteful than rocawear or phat farm in my opinion. I think "urban" designers were unique in that they were profiting from the market that was previously the domain of wealthy white males. Remember when Polo and Hilfiger were huge in the black community before Fubu and others decided that if anyone should make money off of people from the streets then it should be other people from the streets? Now blacks are taking things in their own hands and trying to corner some of the market, but they are also growing and learning as they go. They are also seeing the limitation of only appealing to the hip hop community.

Instead of stereotyping them, we should continue with the healthy critique and give people props where they are due. I also think that hip hop culture and "the streets" have influenced the runways more than people are willing to admit.

Originally posted by LostInNJ@Oct 3 2004, 03:40 PM
I wear labels like Sean John, and Rocawear myself, but in not so obvious ways.
[snapback]384214[/snapback]​

i love your philosophy...as i said before...the right piece from any of these collections can sometimes add that perfect touch to any outfit. and it's all about mixing the high and the low. i like the idea of mixing things like a triple5soul hoodie with stella mccartney pants or a rocawear vicuna belt and bolero with a new pair of true religions and kors boots...an ecko red tank, a vuitton skirt, and louboutins...if you're going to do it, have fun with it, the possibilites are endless.

this is what i hate though: people who look down on people wearing urban brands who themselves cannot put together a decent outfit...people in glass houses.... :innocent:

I think brands like Rocawear, Baby Phat, Enyce, etc. are just as nice as Gucci, Chanel, Prada and so on.

Not at all. You can't compare brands sold at the local mall to high-fashion labels.

I think the reason a lot of people here dislike them is either because they don't like their designs, or because they are into high fashion. This site strikes me as a high fashion site, and you'll hardly find discussion on Hilary Duff's clothing line, etc. etc. (Unless it's to mock it.)

But anyway, I think some of the urban label things are nice. I love a lot of Baby Phat things, but sometimes I just wonder, what was Kimora THINKING?

Urban/Hip Hop clothing is for people who don't know how to dress themselves. It is not fashion, it is oversized, horribly designed, logo bearing, flashy, gutter sh*t.

Oh no - I hope someone doesn't bust a cap in my *** ! DAWG !!!!!!!!!

:lol:

Originally posted by Hed_Kandi@Oct 6 2004, 10:14 AM
Urban/Hip Hop clothing is for people who don't know how to dress themselves. It is not fashion, it is oversized, horribly designed, logo bearing, flashy, gutter sh*t.

Oh no - I hope someone doesn't bust a cap in my *** ! DAWG !!!!!!!!!

:lol:
[snapback]387355[/snapback]​

That's quiet a statement from somebody who loves DSquared - which is the overpriced, horribly designed, logo bearing, flashy, gutter sh*t.

Originally posted by faust@Oct 6 2004, 10:29 AM
That's quiet a statement from somebody who loves DSquared - which is the overpriced, horribly designed, logo bearing, flashy, gutter sh*t.
[snapback]387366[/snapback]​

I don't drool over every piece of DSquared. In fact, there are very few pieces that I like, but the ones that I do like are absolutely amazing.

I don't care about entire collections but rather individual pieces, and so should you.

Hey I'm a 17 year old black kid and I recieve alot of slack for not wearing Sean Jean or Rocawear. But, that aint my style, I like copying looks from GQ or runway looks from menswear, does that make me less black.
But, there are alot of black designers who have chops has everyone frogotten about Tracy Reese.

Also hip hop culture does not inately pidgeon hole blacks into a cultural stereotype; it's the fact that young white surburban kids by into to the hip hop culture as all black culture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->