US Vogue August 2018 : Saoirse Ronan by Jamie Hawkesworth

I was thinking the same when I saw the cover, both Saiorse and Ruth are from the Irish Republic. Would be funny if there's a Boo George edit inside, lol.

Sally Rooney, an Irish author, interviewed Saoirse for the issue.

And the Pope's coming to Ireland in August.

Irish Vogue indeed. Love it.

Some of you are overreacting. I'm all for something different, this isn't exactly new, but it is different to their usual offering and there are actually some nice elements here. Plus y'all know they'll be back to their contrived glamour later on, so I'm just gonna enjoy this change of scenery. I wish she does give more in the face, but well, I mean...

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually love this. Its something different. And really happy Anna is giving more photographers a chance for the cover.

I also love how the Pope tagline screams pettiness. They were heavily criticized for the MET Gala theme, and here they are clapping back by saying "not only did we seek permission, we will also have a feature."

US Vogue is on a roll

I'm so happy for Jamie. A breath of fresh air for US Vogue. Hopefully more covers by him will follow.

One of their best covers I've seen in ages. Saoirse looks ethereally beautiful here.

I like it a lot. It reminds me a lot of what they used to do in the 90's. Very moody cover!
I love it, it has personality but it's still Vogue. Great.
That Prada collection is as horrible to see that it is fabulous to shoot.

Probably the first US Vogue cover I like in a decade.

Fantastic cover & ed. I'm still kinda shocked that Anna ran something like this. Indeed a massive breath of fresh air for Vogue.

I probably would never understand the appeal of Jamie. His work is like anyone with a decent taste who have access to those beautiful location could accomplish the same result or even better. He is more like a B list lifestyle magazine photographer than a B list fashion photographer.

Finally! Saoirse is such a brilliant choice for the cover and really pulls off that Prada dress. Pleasantly surprised to see the interview isn't all about her name (for once)

I love Saoirse and I'm very happy she is finally on the cover but I'm not overwhelmed by the result. She looks lifeless.

love both jamie and saoirse, but c'mon, little make-up never hurt nobody! :ermm:

^yeah... Saoirse is naturally beautiful, but the photos are heavy on grey and yellow and it's not working with that hair color at all. Makeup would have helped.

She looks peeved.
New face for US Vogue but who buys this magazine anymore?
US Vogue doesn't seem a serious or fashion forward magazine to me.
None of these images compel me to the fashion.

When even US Vogue goes indie, you know the game is up for magazines.

It's interesting that so many people like this (and I have no problem with that whatsoever!) because in theory this look like something styled by Verity Parker and shot by Colin Dodgson. So basically, a British Vogue staple edit under Alexandra. Yet it look so refreshing for US Vogue. In fact, when you leaf through older British Vogue issues you'll find they've been cultivating this 'indie' look for some years.

I suppose the same mash-up happened at British Vogue employing an American sensibility. Note to editors, and Emmanuelle Alt - variety is good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->