Vogue Italia August 2018 : Madonna by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

I'm loving every single image they've been dropping today.
And I'm actually falling in love with the b&w cover, which I previously found meh.
The vitriolic misogyny and ageism directed at Madonna on this forum is like the rising sun.
One can always count on it. "She's old", "she's boring", "she's irrelevant", "she should act her age", she should dress her age", "she should go away"....blah blah blah...zzzzzz.

Madonna is a force, Madonna is an icon, Madonna invented the pop world your favs live in, Madonna is who they all want to be.
Madonna can do whatever she wants, and what she wants is to give you a glimpse of her life in Lisbon, on her terms. She isn't interested in playing dress up in someone else's vision of a proper fashion editorial. Boring brands from SS whatever, or FW who cares. She's bringing you her vision on her terms. She's probably one of a handful of women who can do that, and more props to her for it.

Happy 60th birthday to the Queen!:heart:

The first cover with the luscious green grass setting wins for me... I wish the styling had been better though. The editorial is looking good from the pics released... though I wish there were not as many close up shots as her face is now over botox and too much fillers. Her face actually looks bloated.

I am all for her getting this issue to celebrate her 60th birthday... would have been had it been American vogue, still...

I'm loving every single image they've been dropping today.
And I'm actually falling in love with the b&w cover, which I previously found meh.
The vitriolic misogyny and ageism directed at Madonna on this forum is like the rising sun.
One can always count on it. "She's old", "she's boring", "she's irrelevant", "she should act her age", she should dress her age", "she should go away"....blah blah blah...zzzzzz.

Madonna is a force, Madonna is an icon, Madonna invented the pop world your favs live in, Madonna is who they all want to be.
Madonna can do whatever she wants, and what she wants is to give you a glimpse of her life in Lisbon, on her terms. She isn't interested in playing dress up in someone else's vision of a proper fashion editorial. Boring brands from SS whatever, or FW who cares. She's bringing you her vision on her terms. She's probably one of a handful of women who can do that, and more props to her for it.

Happy 60th birthday to the Queen!:heart:

TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Btw, the b&w cover is beautiful, the second cover is a little bit unnecessary -maybe the layout doesn't work here- but she looks beautiful. Some of the pictures are stunning, I love the black and white shot with the horse and the one with the green dress and her body looks AMAZING.

Some strong shots— even the glamorous I’ve-fallen-and-I-can’t-get-up on on an equally glamorous lawn is oddly beautiful. Her sitting casually while voguing is sweet and all-powerful. She can effortlessly give good face just like that.

But she’s contributing to the ageism that she’s accusing others of directing at her when she agrees to let these guys retouch her to resemble a 2D drawing. The excessive retouching just ruins everything she’s standing up for.

Madonna has always been a badass, I wouldn't like her any other way.
But, she use to change up her style more often
The b/w cover had some of the 'Evita' era sophistication but the other is all over the place. The garden shot with the kids in white would have been the winner. We hardly ever see that side of Madonna, but maybe she didn't want to expose her children too much.
Descending the stairs in the green dress=real potential, more of that.

The black and white cover is good, the green cover is a copy of Steven Klein but in a bad way.
If you have a editor style “A day on my Life” the idea is be more natural all look so fake im crying, the artificial situation is sad, maybe Testino, Weber are better fot this.

I really like the B&W cover. The retouching is CGI/'based on a true story' level but it's to be expected at this point.

I like the BW cover...the green one has potential but it ruined with the Klein wannabe filter. I love Klein's work so much but that cover is like a failed attempt for Klein's shots

Eh, I'll let them have this one. I don't expect much from this edition anymore, and its at least preferable to her last VI cover.

I love this :heart::heart::heart: The best picture is the one with her daughters.

The black and white cover is gorgeous. I'm glad to see Madonna portrayed that way.
The level of ageism is what's ugly here.
Oh just wait, it'll get worse when the full editorial comes out. People really just love to go at her about it here for whatever reason.

I like the 2nd cover, it's the best. I will more amazed if Meisel or Klein shot the cover, i'm tried the M&M's work on the nowdays.

Oh give me a break, her image is so tired! And the photography is simply appalling, it’s not all her fault the covers are so bad.

Her Portuguese exploits are incredibly idiotic, the fact she does not realise she’s such an American tourist is super cringy. :lol:
Regardless, the landscape and the scenery is the only thing I’m looking forward too.

my screenshots on TeleGiornale 2

The screencaps posted by MDNA of the editorial look quite nice.

I've been the biggest Madonna fan...but the last several years have been painful and trying lol. The ageism and sexism accusations that always get thrown around when Madonna is critiqued, especially based on her appearance, is missing the point. Madonna made a career on imagery - her music is intrinsically tied to the fashion, hair and beauty of each era's tours, videos and appearances.

I'm happy if she's happy, but the look is no longer chic and directional and inspired. And that's a bummer. The last 10 years have been only very slight variations on the raunchy mama look. She needs a new team. I believe there's still the capacity in her to do something surprising, interesting, beautiful and inspired again, but it's not going to happen with Mert & Marcus, Klein, Arianne or B...

Curious to hear what her and Mirwais have been up to, though. Some of her best work was with Mirwais.

Most celebs have better IG photos than this. I rather go browse the European vacation of a VS model tbh. They seem to be able to create more memorable aspirational photos than this on the fly.

I was a major Madonna fan throughout the 80’s and 90’s but she bores me now. Anyway, regarding the cover, I’d like to see something different from her. We’ve seen these images hundreds of times.

Who does she appeal to nowadays?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greg1979
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->