Vogue Paris December 2017/January 2018 : Rihanna

When was the last time US Vogue gave an Arab, East-Indian or Asian a cover...?

Priyanka Chopra and Gal Gadot covered a few big US titles, and I'm sure they'll get Vogue next year. Lucy Liu and Olivia Munn used to be up there as well, and I think depending how big Mulan will be pushed, Li Yifei could get some coverage.
You're right though. But I do think there's more than meets the eye here. Firstly, American media has somewhat distorted the definition of 'diversity' to reflect only two other groups at most. And secondly, since I'm not American I may be wrong here, but it seems the Asian community in the US are not fighting tooth and nail to be included, whereas the Latino and black community does. Asian communities are very rarely fully integrated in a general sense to highlight their buying power. Because you know of course that's what it all boils down to......buying power, and how strong it's perceived.

While you may not see Asian faces in front of Western covers, there are certainly a great deal of them behind the scenes. An Le contributes to the cool of Vogue Ukraine and Portugal, Kai Z Feng is a frequent UK Elle collaborator, Yu Tsai is doing some good mainstream stuff and shot the odd Vogue cover, plus Joyce Chang, Eva Chen, Michelle Lee, Michelle Tan and Janice Min ran big US titles. Try to look for similar power names within the other communities and you'll definitely come up short.

^^^ I was thinking of Asian models, Benn… But then again, to even expect a model on the cover of American Vogue is a rare sighting.

Asian names contribute quite a bit behind the scene, of course. But in terms of visibility, on the covers of a magazine— or even in editorials, Asian models/celebrities are still sparsely, if at all represented. Is there even an Asian name that can stand alongside the likes of Black Supers spanning 40 years: Pat Cleveland, Beverly Johnson, Iman, Naomi, Joan Smalls, Jourdan Dunn, Imaan…???

LOL @Kanye as a "pop princess", Lola! Never really thought of Kanye as a “pop princess” since I do find his talent genuinely innovative (and I’m glad that he’s finally succeeded as a legit— and influential designer LOL) and not manufactured like the overwhelming majority of these PPs. But his insufferable personality, and shameless grovelling and temper-tandrums are a tad like begging for approval… And although his ego would be beyond insufferable, I still would love to see him on the cover of VP, even as a guest-editor. He would go above and beyond in that role. committing 1000%. (Just no Kim and Jenners please.)

Is there even an Asian name that can stand alongside the likes of Black Supers spanning 40 years: Pat Cleveland, Beverly Johnson, Iman, Naomi, Joan Smalls, Jourdan Dunn, Imaan…???

I would like to submit the gorgeous China Machado, she had a good career. Maybe not exactly in the range of those names, but she pushed through, and made the best of what she was given in the industry.

^^^ I was thinking of Asian models, Benn… But then again, to even expect a model on the cover of American Vogue is a rare sighting.

Asian names contribute quite a bit behind the scene, of course. But in terms of visibility, on the covers of a magazine— or even in editorials, Asian models/celebrities are still sparsely, if at all represented. Is there even an Asian name that can stand alongside the likes of Black Supers spanning 40 years: Pat Cleveland, Beverly Johnson, Iman, Naomi, Joan Smalls, Jourdan Dunn, Imaan…???

Ok, ok...lol. There's no fooling you with consolation tactics, lol.

From the top of my head, there was actually Hiroko Matsumoto (Pierre Cardin muse and industry favourite in the 60s), Du Juan (industry favourite, covered VP and a few mainstream campaigns), and then Liu Wen looks set to become the first full scale Asian supermodel.

Truth be told there are a lot of contributing factors arising to the lack of Asian supers, many of them sensitive. Asian culture in general always seemed very elusive for starters. The Japanese may have put an end to 'sakoku' at the turn of the 20th century, but they in theory remained isiolationist until the boom bursted. China from 1949 until the 80's, while the rest of the Asian states focused on rebuilding their social structure and economy. So there was no distinct familiarity and/or widespread cultural contact between Western audiences and these countries in order for them to fully appeciate Asian beauty, and not fetishize it. The way I see it, that's Western media's issue with Asian models. They fetishize them, which limit the amount of times they can be used on covers and the like. While I know you can't abide her, Anna is doing much to normalise Asian models, along with the rest in US Vogue.

Incidentally the names you listed above may be black, but they were all establised in a Western country for more than one or two generations.

Ultimately I find it shocking that VP, and VI, just don't seem to care. With the rest we must be content with the eternal lame lament - 'they don't sell.' But magazines such as these two who thrive on the creative more than the pandering, whose audiences are more likely to have an open-minded take on beauty......what's their excuse??

^^^ I will definitely put it to Em when we have drinks tonight...

Hiroko Matsumoto, China Machado, along with Lui Wen and Fei Fei would be the equivalent of industry-favs but not a known commercial names, like Veronica Webb, Beverly Peele, Alek— hence they were left out of my Supers list although that siren Veronica is one of my favs… (And yes, I deliberately left out Tyra since her model days were short-lived, and she became a household name more for her showbiz and lifestyle ventures.)

Leaving out historical and cultural sensibilities, along with strict Eastern traditions— much like strict traditions of the Middle East Lola mentioned, there have always been Asian beauties that are Western-bred. Along with being politely brushed aside— even by those that advocate “diversity", and just speaking from experience, Asians in Western countries in general aren’t very strong in supporting their own in the industry, unfortunately.

Can't wait to see Hiandra's ed. Rihanna looks good in her eds.

Not a Rihanna fan, although I like the Jean-Paul Goude shoot, dislike the Teller ed though, Teller is just not French Vogue for me. I wouldn't base a whole issue on her, she's not interesting enough to cover a whole issue like this. I like seeing filmmakers such as Sofia Coppola, actress Catherine Deneuve and Princess Stephanie as "whole" issue. This doesn't give me that exclusive french vibe unfortunately...

I can’t help but wonder that if she were another boring white actress she wouldn’t be having people wonder her relevancy or how deserving she is. The girl is a mogul. Why are we debating whether she deserves this or not? If her list of accolades aren’t good enough, what does it really take to be deserving of a Vogue cover these days?

I can’t help but wonder that if she were another boring white actress she wouldn’t be having people wonder her relevancy or how deserving she is. The girl is a mogul. Why are we debating whether she deserves this or not? If her list of accolades aren’t good enough, what does it really take to be deserving of a Vogue cover these days?

For me deserving and Vogue covers are words that should only be in the same sentence if they are affiliated to a model.

A celebrity doesn't "deserve" a Vogue cover.
Rihanna is great but having to guest-edit a whole issue is just not that interesting and Vogue Paris has never been about the biggest stars.
It's not a question of her being black or not. I have a list of black actresses and singers, both french or American (I think everybody knows now how obsessed i'm of TER) that could have been more interesting.

I love Rihanna, i love her style, i love her music and even if she is overexposed IMO, i think she is great but having read this issue, i must say that i wasn't that fascinated.

Loving this comments section :flower: Thanks for the intelligent discussions to read!

I'm getting such strong Marisa Berison vibes from the Teller ed. I'm torn between liking the '60s style & just woke up from a stoned nap look and wanting it to be more polished lol.

So the first cover is 60s, last cover is 80s...I'm having trouble picking what decade the second cover belongs in. Early 2000s, or maybe 70s? Is it meant to be the 'now' cover? Idk just seems to me each cover is referencing a look in time.

^^^ Juergen’s is absolutely about the current fashion times we’re in: Bland, messy, normcore, DIY, half-arsed with flat-lighting… LOL

I'm just glad it's over now. We've been waiting in bated breath for her to conclude the top four. And now it's done, the effect much like pulling off a band-aid for me. It's just a pity that it had to be a dual month issue. Oh well, at least Feb will have a long collections edit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->