Vogue Paris December 2017/January 2018 : Rihanna

A very bold statement you're making there. Maybe 'the entire North American general public' should save their dollars and actually go out and buy her much rumoured US Vogue cover, because they certainly didn't the last time she got it. Likes and shares won't keep magazines alive.

I mean, I never claimed that her "cool" factor moved magazine covers. lol.

Wow... I did not know Rihanna was so polarized. I cant with the snobs comments... :lol:

Nice choice of subject, not that great outcome. I´ll wait for the content to judge!

She’s hardly “polarizing”. To be that she would actually need to make an effort at a statement.

Forgettable covers aside (at least she’s not sporting that awful prop from that boring movie she was in where she played a cartoon jelly octopus…) She is effortlessly cool and cool-looking, and oozes attitude, no doubt. Her music is a matter of taste— and she’s hardly some artistic visionary and creative maverick like some are convinced she is. (Yes, her music got better from its safe, dj-by-numbers beginnings for the last couple of albums.)

But being revered by the masses— and fashion’s place in that mass, which is frankly at its dumbest than it’s ever been, is the equivalent of being the king of the diph*ts at his point in time… When Kendall and her slew of generics are the new model army, Youtubers and InstaCelebs are some of the most influential personalities for teens, and the most basics of hoodies and sweatshirts are the new high fashion statements, being crowned the Coolest by this generation’s general public is hardly that impressive of an achievement. I mean Walmart and McDonald’s also make bank, so what does her makeup and clothing cashgrab lines have anything to do with artistry…???

What’s astounding is that you believe it’s a “fan fantasy.” She’s a vet, she’s done this for 12 years now. She didn’t just have a few ot songs with The Chainsmokers and disappear lol

Just like your reply, yes its a total fan fantasy!! Is this really your argument? That because she has been doing this for over a decade she can't possibly fail? Please take a look at the history of pop stars, and celebs in general, and you will see that fame & success is fickle, and can end in a hot minute. I guess beeing a Rihanna fangirl it's easier to just call people "haters" than actually realize the reality of what i am saying. I never questioned how well she has done in her career, and i don't wish her, or anyone else, failure, but success, and fame is never guaranteed for life! Far bigger stars than her have fallen from grace, so.....yeah!

I mean, I never claimed that her "cool" factor moved magazine covers. lol.

Consumers are savvy and not always as mindless as often assumed. Rihanna's fans are legion but they buy what they connect to. They don't connect with US Vogue at all. Their interest extends to how it burnishes Rihanna's image and no further. It is up to magazine titles to have exceptional clarity about who and how to serve their audience, or a strong and confident strategy on how they wish to change/expand it, because slappin' on any ol' biddy will not work. Who needs to buy that magazine issue when, on any given, day an IG photo caption will offer more interest than anything the celebrity says with an overly deferential magazine writer over a salad? When one cracked out pap stroll evokes more excitement and imagination than an editorial? Some may worry about the public's taste--I worry about the editors'. Are they even allowed to have one in the current system?

I don't know how French Vogue readers feel about Rihanna but, like Lola, I wish the team had been allowed to do something more transformative. She has better presence and charisma than most models so, in that sense, it's disappointing. Perhaps the eds will be better but I'm not hopeful.

Not too concerned with artistry here. The big titles are not producing art or anything artistic; for how many fashion mags is that a concern? I don't know if I want them to bother, really, but that's a different thread.

As a black Caribbean woman, I totally get why Rihanna is all about that cash. (I know you care.) Benn has some of your numbers, RiRi, so hoard the rest :wink:.

Last edited by a moderator:
She’s hardly “polarizing”. To be that she would actually need to make an effort at a statement.

Forgettable covers aside (at least she’s not sporting that awful prop from that boring movie she was in where she played a cartoon jelly octopus…) She is effortlessly cool and cool-looking, and oozes attitude, no doubt. Her music is a matter of taste— and she’s hardly some artistic visionary and creative maverick like some are convinced she is. (Yes, her music got better from its safe, dj-by-numbers beginnings for the last couple of albums.)

But being revered by the masses— and fashion’s place in that mass, which is frankly at its dumbest than it’s ever been, is the equivalent of being the king of the diph*ts at his point in time… When Kendall and her slew of generics are the new model army, Youtubers and InstaCelebs are some of the most influential personalities for teens, and the most basics of hoodies and sweatshirts are the new high fashion statements, being crowned the Coolest by this generation’s general public is hardly that impressive of an achievement. I mean Walmart and McDonald’s also make bank, so what does her makeup and clothing cashgrab lines have anything to do with artistry…???

:lol:I live for this kind of comment ahahah WELL SAID, I think exactly the same, it´s a sad state of the industry indeed. Hence why SO SO SO many people stopped buying magazines, myself included (and I used to buy 6-8 magazines every month for many years)

The covers are not bad. However, I always get scared when VP put celebrities on covers. I would hate for it to become like Vogue US and use only celebrities. It is a scary thought to me. Also not sure how I feel about her guest editing, what does she know about it? I admire her and she is incredibly stunning, I am just unsure about this.

My favorite is Teller's by miles. Love the colors, how cute she looks on it (yes, I do think she looks better this way) and the fact it's not over-retouched (which is quite refreshing for a Vogue cover, regardless of the edition). Looking forward to seeing the editorial by him if there is any (I guess so) and the other contents.

The covers are not bad. However, I always get scared when VP put celebrities on covers. I would hate for it to become like Vogue US and use only celebrities. It is a scary thought to me. Also not sure how I feel about her guest editing, what does she know about it? I admire her and she is incredibly stunning, I am just unsure about this.

Celebrities had never been really a thing for VP since Carine took over so don't worry, i don't think that VP would ever be like Vogue US . It's really a cultural thing.

The guest-editing thing is a tradition at VP. None of the subjects knew anything about it. It's mostly an issue dedicated to Rihanna where she can suggest collaborators (her stylist is styling one of the cover), have a suggestion in the content but Emmanuelle is still the boss.

I know that Tom Ford was really involved in his issue and spend time at the VP offices and all. I don't think Rihanna was that much involved, due to her various projects.

Yeah, it's not a guest editing effort in the traditional sense. Because firstly, she doesn't speak French, so it would be difficult to give her full control. Even when Tom Ford guest edited the VF Hollywood edition he went above and beyond, overseeing not only all the photography, but most of the written features and layout as well. Lady Gaga for V was another one.

This thread is highly entertaining.

Love the Goude cover. He should really be shooting in every Vogue Paris, his work is so...French for lack of a better description.

Poor Rihanna, she's not looking her best these days. These covers are not good, sorry not sorry. The last one is passable thanks to Mr Photoshop.

nailed not only this silly issue but fashion as a whole! Rihanna has great style (or stylist) and i enjoy her music but i find it misleading and down right insulting to all our intelligences when its suggested these celebs have anything other than superficial input into these fashion lines and collaborations.

Preview of Rihanna by Jean-Paul Goude:

Who was the last black model to get a solo cover of Vogue Paris? Alt probably sees Rihanna as filling her quota, which means there won't be another one for a long time, if ever.

My thoughts exactly!:innocent:

Regarding the actual fashion content: there is of course the three cover stories by Jean-Paul Goude, Inez & Vinoodh and Juergen Teller, and in addition there is a fashion story featuring Imaan Hammam by Inez & Vinoodh, styled by Emmanuelle Alt toward the end of the issue - and that's it.

Review:

Miss Vogue: Free Style (10 pgs)
Photographer: Sean & Seng
Fashion Editor: Tony Irvine
Model: Hiandra Martinez

Poupee de Son (10 pgs)
Photographer: Jean-Paul Goude
Fashion Editor: Aleksandra Woroniecka
Celeb: Rihanna

Rihanna (14 pgs)
Photographer: Juergen Teller
Fashion Editor: Anastasia Barbieri & Bernhard Willhelm

In Bed with Rihanna (10 pgs)
Photographer: Inez & Vinoodh
Fashion Editor: Mel Ottenberg

Colours from the Block (12 pgs)
Photographer: Inez & Vinoodh
Fashion Editor: Emmanuelle Alt
Model: Imaan Hammam

Golden opportunity for Rihanna to use her influence to get Imaan on the cover, but no. A real shame. How long is Emanuelle Alt going to make her wait?

^^^ Why would Rihanna give up her place as covergirl for VP to Imaan when she is the featured star of this issue…???? Cuz she’s a Black woman and she has to give it up for another Black woman?

Imaan is a gorgeous woman and she has been on the covers of many high profile magazines already and likely, will continue to get bigger. She’s not less of a model because she’s not on the cover of VP right now.

The Jean-Paul and I&V shoots are solid. JP’s is predictably a redux of his Grace Jones trademark, but it works for Rihanna since she’s also a popstar. The I&V has a very 60s-vibe and also suits Rihanna as a Motown darling. The Juergen is a waste of paper. But the true star of this issue is no other than Imaan… as a full-on 80s Miss Jackson-if-you’re-nasty babe. If you hated Emmanuelle’s 80s-trash, this will have you drop dead on the spot LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->