• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

What are your "MUST READ" books?

first of all: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov my favorite forever.

The church of the dead girls by Stephen Dobyns
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
Fragile things by Neil Gaiman
Misery, Skeleton Crew, Everything's Eventual by Stephen King
all Harry Potters :D
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
American psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
In cold blood by Truman Capote

I don't understand why so many people like "Lolita":unsure:

some books I liked:

Afterdark by Haruki Murakami
Girl with a pearl earring by Tracy Chevalier
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk

why, you don't like Lolita?
i think it's just perfect, Nabokov was a genius, not so many people can write on that high level like him.

I don't hate it, but I also don't really like it. in some places it was quite nice, but there were also many boring moments.

Mystic River is a must read. So decadent for drama lovers.
Mysterious Skin, The Memory Keeper's Daughter and of course The Catcher In the Rye.

off the top of my head...

Lolita
The Crucible
Hamlet
Pride and Prejudice
Woman in White
Brideshead Revisited
Revolutionary Road

Books which will always belong on my list (also I never realized until now that almost all of my favorites are classics!:(

Harry Potter series
Pride and Prejudice
The Catcher In The Rye
Little Women
I Capture The Castle
The Little Prince
The Bell Jar
The Great Gatsby
Anne Of Green Gables (from my childhood... they are just perfect and I think every little girl/grown women ought to read them)

i adored the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella, it's really cute and kinda witty. Good British humor I think.

and Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Theres a bit of animal abuse in it, thankfully nothing graphic, but still heartbreaking. And it's about a travelling circus in the 1930's, just after the Great Depression. really great book.

The neverending story by Michael Ende (beautiful story about how important both fantasy and reality are, that you should love and accept yourself for who you are, how wishing is impossible without personal change, how personal glorification is empty...and so much more)

Momo also by Michael Ende (little girl has to fight the grey men who want people to save time for later which means life becomes sterile, devoid of all things considered time-wasting, like social activities, recreation, art, imagination, or even sleeping)

although these books are considered childrens books they're just as enjoyable for adults. Ende always criticized modern society and the main themes of the power of stories, friendship, compassion and the value of the small but pleasant things that make life more worth living come through in both of these books, they teach kids great values and remind adults to enjoy every day

The pillars of the earth by Ken Follett (big book, but worth the time. England in the twelfth century. there's love, hate, revenge, religion and architecture. maybe the first few hundred pages are a little slow but after that it's amazing and i couldn't put it down)

Harry Potter series

there are so many more, but i'm too tired to list them right now:lol:

Kahlil Gibran's poems and short stories:

The Prophet
The Madman
The Wonderer
Sand and Foam
Jesus, Son of Man

It contains writings of wisdom and religious inspiration, insights on love, death, crime, possessions, marriage.

overall his writing makes one feel good about life and living

I would recommend :

1. The Harry Potter series.
2. Millennium trilogy.
3. Looking for Alaska, by John Green.
4. Sopaholic series.
5. Rachel's Holiday, by Marian Keyes.

Another great book that Im ashamed to say I only recently read: Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. I love this book!
Posted via Mobile Device

Invisible Monsters & Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk... The Virgin Suicides (overexposed, but a very good read in any case)... The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo...

A book I really liked, although a children's book, was The Giving Tree. It was my favourite childhood book and to this day I still treasure it's morals.

Another great book that Im ashamed to say I only recently read: Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. I love this book!
Posted via Mobile Device

Rebecca is fighting for the top spot with Gone With The Wind, IMO, it's an incredible book x

The Master and Margarita by M.Bulgakov
Pride and Prejudice by J. Austen
Wuthering Heights by E. Bronte
Crime and Punishment by F. Dostoyevsky
The Trial by F. Kafka
Eugene Onegin by A. Pushkin

these are the best books I've ever read! I generally love Russian literature, so I'd recommend anything by F. Dostoyevsky, L. Tolstoy A. Pushkin and A. Chekhov:heart:

- Tales Of Ordinary Madness by Bukowski
- Journey to the End of Night by Céline
- The Picture of Dorian Gray by Wilde
- The Catcher In The Rye by Salinger
- On The Road by Jack Kerouac
- Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh
- Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
- Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
- Ecstasy by Irvine Welsh
- 1984 by George Orwell

These are my favourite books from the ones I have read...

Vurt by Jeff Noon
PopCo by Scarlett Thomas

People you MUST read these 2!

^I've read PopCo, and it started off fantastic but the ending was just....meh. IMHO, of course- I'm disappointed because I had high hopes of it.

My personal must-reads are:

One Hundred Years of Solitude
by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"