What Fashion "Rules" Do You Disagree With?

cupkate said:
my mom has this rule (which i'm sure is an old southern proper lady rule) but your socks/stockings should always match your pants/skirt and shoes.

so, only black shoes and stockings with a black skirt.

i break this one all the time.

I am so stuck in this era and looking forward to breakind this rule with some pink or purple shoes!!! And maybe some color hose too! ^_^

utopia said:
is this a rule? I think blue and green are lovely together :blush:

I also think green and purple can be nice together, without evoking mental images of scary tv dinosaurs.

I wear A LOT of blue and green together and get a boat load of compliments (I think it is a skin tone thing)

And purple and green has been about my all time favourite colour combination since I was 19 or something and probably always will be!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ yea, me too..I have several pairs of white heels.
Just depends on how's the rest of your outfit like :smile:

i don't believe in rules. the way i see it, dressing well is a form of art. art doesn't have rules. but, there is good art and bad.

the "rules" are simply suggestions that allowed people to conform to an "in" style.

i don't like the "match your shoes to your belt" rule.

The only one I actually follow is the no black & navy. I won't wear brown & black together or navy & white together. Or light greys & white together. Or blue t-shirts that are the same color as my jeans.

I avoid to wearing clashing colors whenever possible, as I think it rarely looks good.

I break the black&navy together sometimes

fashion rules..first of all there is no rules

AlexN said:
Second...I think wearing black and navy together can create an awesome effect if done well.

That would be my favourite colour combination in the world, AlexN! Also brown and black..

with the "no white after labor day" rule...when "can" you START?!?!

i do agree with the black and navy rule...

black & blue :heart:
black & brown :heart:

i really hate black with red/orange/yellow, feels bit cheap and boring to me

my fashion rule?
i never wear skin tone thights, i just cant stand them

sakina said:
The only one I actually follow is the no black & navy. I won't wear brown & black together or navy & white together. Or light greys & white together. Or blue t-shirts that are the same color as my jeans.

I avoid to wearing clashing colors whenever possible, as I think it rarely looks good.

I really like black and brown together..

Have to say Lena that Alex from Franz Ferdinand wore a black shirt and trousers with an orange tie and it looked really good.But other than that wearing colour with black can make the outfit look cheap

Linen only in summer.

Um, why? Especially with regard to sweaters that contain linen fibre.

It gets way the blank too hot here to wear sweaters during the summer.

I wear black and brown together all the time and I think it looks fine...

I also think no navy and black rule is silly except for certain instances, like, I hate a formal navy suit with black shoes. That just looks bad. But there are some seriously good ways to wear navy and black. I've seen it look great.

I don't wear boots in the summer, I think it looks out of place...at least in the 95 degree heat here it does.

Also I hate nude tights...

I used to think that you cant wear short shorts with a sleeveless top, because showing everything at once is not cool, but when I go out clubbing, it's just easier to do that, and it doesn't look trashy, because I'm usually in flat sandals. I think it all depends on the person.

Navy and Black not being together-I think they look great together.

seraphelle said:
I disagree with most rules, especially these:

-every woman must have the perfect little black black dress, pumps, etc. in her closet
-women must be thin to wear certain styles
-women must be young to wear certain styles
-tights have to match your shoes
-the goal in fashion is to look rich

I agree!!

What do you think the goal in fashion is (or should be)?

Never mix prints: Why not? Different prints can compliment and contrast and look amazing.
The blue and green (should never be seen) rule. I agree....I love blue and green together.
Never wear satin or fabrics with shine during the daytime. I guess this rule went out during the 70s when satin blouses became popular for daytime wear.
There's a whole bunch of 'mature age' dressing rules that I ignore as well. I dislike rules...

fashionista-ta said:
What do you think the goal in fashion is (or should be)?

To feel excellent in what you are wearing (?)

I also feel the need to not look like a total freak (i.e. not dress inappropriately for the occasion/event or like I don't own a mirror...:doh:)

First, I heard about not mixing black with navy blue. Then now it's black with brown.

I mix them all the time! I don't get this rule at all. I thought black's supposed to be a neutral and would look good with any other colours? Anyway, at one time, I was so crazy, always conscious that I wouldn't pair black with navy. Now, I don't really care. WTH!

Rules are meant to be broken anyway. Some of the ones I don't like are:
You can't wear pink if you have red hair
You can't mix patterns/prints
You can only wear pearls after 6pm
If you're on the heavier side you should only wear vertical stripes
Pink is only for young girls

oh, and.. for me, fashion is a very personal thing. clothes work different from person to person. you create your rules. and they can be broken anytime you feel like.

^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloome
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->