What To Wear When You're 30-Something...

^ I would suggest looking at straw bags (I have a vintage straw tote I love), and also tracking Stella McCartney. It may be that you can find one of her bags at a discount on Yoox or a similar discounter. Her things may also give you some ideas. We also have a vegan shoe thread ... and you could start a bag one if we don't have it already. I know some vegans here wear Melissa ... personally I dislike Toms, but if I were vegan, I might learn to love them :wink:

Thank you, Fashionista-ta :smile: I've been looking at straw bags now and will buy one (or more) for sure! Possibly a straw wallet too.
Yeah, Toms make me a bit sceptical since the canvas shoe/bag seems to keep one forever young.

Glad you like them :smile: Just checked Yoox, and the least expensive Stella McCartney bag right now is $230 (not bad, considering)--a techno fabric clutch, fairly large.

^ I can't believe how relatively cheaper the clothes and accessories are in US, compared to Europe. :cry:

Glad you like them :smile: Just checked Yoox, and the least expensive Stella McCartney bag right now is $230 (not bad, considering)--a techno fabric clutch, fairly large.

That's not a bad price at all. I have to keep an eye on her bags.

Clutches are ladylike and so are other types of bags that should be held in the hand or carried on the arm. These bags don't really fit in my everyday life the way shoulder bags does.
I can think of two ways to dress older. One is ladylike and the other is "grown up practical" which is a little unisex. I'm kind of stuck in the youthful unisex which is practical and comfortable until you think about the cheap materials that never lasts.

Since I turned thirty some years ago, I've been more or less obsessed with polonecks of all types.

I wear them on their own and layered under sweaters, jackets and coats.

^ I can't believe how relatively cheaper the clothes and accessories are in US, compared to Europe. :cry:

I think Yoox is European, though, isn't it?

I've noticed that on Farfetch, the same item's price can be all over the place ... I guess due to exchange rates at various times?? But often the European price is better than the American.

Rova, here's the vegan bag thread ... http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f56/non-leather-vegan-bags-10048.html

And btw, if you want to start building your wardrobe, you could always join us in the 4-5 piece French wardrobe thread :wink:

Thank you! I found some great vintage straw bags on Ebay and Etsy so I'm going to buy one of them soon. I bought a brown vintage vinyl bag that has kind of a grown up 70's feel to it (haven't recieved it yet). I'll continue posting my findings in the vegan bag thread.

Haha, I do read that thread from time to time, but grasping the concept and methods is almost as difficult as learning a new language. I might dare to join though :smile:

Polonecks are great, Sheeam!

I'm in my late 30s now and this question has really been running through my head - I have more money (not that much but enough to let me buy some things from therealreal) and more confidence than I did in my twenties, and I've enjoyed using some of it to buy things I like and try out things for the last few years. The main change so far was that I can't really get away with being scruffy anymore, like my regular uniform of a band tee and cutoff shorts had to be kept for home instead of being my outfit to the pub, for the last few years I can't really get away with cute little sundresses that expose a lot of shoulder or chest anymore, etc. Now 40 is not that far away and I'm wondering what change will come after that, because I don't look like most people's idea of late 30s, probably younger than that. But neither do I want to dress like some stodgy image of a "mature" person, 35 year olds don't have to be trussed into a pencil skirt and 'tasteful' navy the minute they hit their birthday. I mean, Debbie Harry only got famous in her thirties and at 35, was considered one of the sexiest women of her era.

I was in many ways an indie girl in my late teens/early to mid twenties, and some parts of that stay with me even now, like my fringe, a love of graphic tees and layering, but so far, as I got older I'll make sure I put a good jacket over the band tee so only a bit of the shirt shows, that if I'm wearing a tshirt on it's own it's not tight, and that if I'm wearing a short skirt (higher than knee length), I must wear it with tights, if I want to wear polka dots then make sure the dress has a flattering cut and a neckline that isn't too low. If the dress is short, then make sure the cut is a simple grownup and flattering one - no cupcake princess dresses, but a knee-length subtle fit and flare A line is good - and it's worn with dark tights, if I want to wear a tight leopard print top then make sure it has a high neck and sleeves. No super high heels now, I've lost the physical capacity to deal with them since I never liked wearing them outside of the occasional party. I have no interest in trying to wear things a teen or 20something will be interested in now. But over the pandemic, my hair started turning grey and I decided to let it grow, and now it's making its presence felt and I know I REALLY have to think about how it looks and how it influences my overall look.

(and I will say, it's also about knowing your tastes and vibe. Debbie Harry I mentioned above, but some women just always carry a certain girlishness about them well into their 30s, 40s and even 50s - see: Lily Allen, who's now 37, or Winona Ryder, now 51. I think carrying that through different ages can work beautifully, there's a certain magic to women who change what they wear, but change it very little. That said, I think it's natural to feel like you flounder a bit between decades, I certainly felt it when I was younger and at 27, no longer a student and didn't feel natural anymore dressing like one, and I feel like at some point if my body and face change a lot then I might flounder then too)

What to wear when you’re 30-something?

I don’t know exactly, but I want to say practically nothing you wore when you were 20-something.

You should wear whatever the **** you want at any age.
Why should your wardrobe change, after you past your 29th birthday?:rolleyes:

Silly thread.

As you move through life, you change, and to reflect that, people may want their appearance to stay in step with who they are inside.

It's less about rules and more the idea of not remaining stuck in any particular 'place' in your life. Taking stock and being mindful.

You could find your uniform early in life and wear it for the rest of your years. Others like to cycle through changes as naturally as the seasons. Taking a moment to stop and think about who you are, and where you are in life, and how your appearance reflects and feeds into that, is not a waste of time.

^exactly, and also the ideas of what people wear at certain ages/stages of life, shift over time. Back when the thread was first started, in the 90s and early 00s you had thirty-somethings writing for fashion publications who felt that among the things they should leave behind because they looked 'too young', were jeans, sweatshirts and sneakers! Imagine that now. Same with jumpsuits being initially presented as things only for the young but now women of all ages wear them over the last decade.

I actually think I'm better at dressing myself in my thirties than my twenties, I have the confidence to pull off some sexier/more sophisticated looks that would have felt like cosplay in my twenties but I'm not afraid of shopping from 'auntie' labels either for pieces that suit me (e.g. CP Shades had some really nice dresses). And I was a checked-shirt devotee at 16, over two decades later I still wear them, including some of the same ones I had as a teenager because they were good quality and fit and I remain partial to tartan/checks to this day, why throw them out?

The only real rules I seem to hold to is that accessories have to be good quality and not cheap looking (I can't get away with market stall spectacle frames anymore), underpinnings are also necessary, and the no. 1, which is seeking out nice fabrics (no polyester tops ever, tops preferably in cotton, wool or silk). Oh yeah and grooming, with 'done' or at least pulled-back-in-a-bun hair and some minimal makeup even if it's just a bit of lipstick, is now necessary in a way it wasn't ten years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamon53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->