• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

When do you pay retail?

papa_levante

oh! darling
Reaction score
(I don't believe there is a thread like this.) :unsure:

Today, I tried to hit the After Christmas Day sales. At Dillard's, I saw a cute dress by Chelsea & Violet marked down to $46 from $78.

From what I've learned from this forum, never pay retail. Or, at least, try to avoid it because you might find sale items just as good, but you may have to do a bit more rummaging.

There was only one dress left in my size and even if it wasn't on sale, I might have still gotten it because of the fact there was one left. But, I decided that getting new undergarments was something I needed more than I wanted, so I put the dress back.

The only gamble with sales is that if you wait for an item to go on sale, you risk it not being in your size when you go back or it not being there at all. With retail, you pay a pretty penny more but at least you have it.

When do you all definitely pay retail? I do pay retail for my make-up, but I think that is a different story. This is more clothing/shoes related since there are always sales racks and rarely any make-up sales "racks."

:flower:

I pay retail when:

a) I know the item is a hot commodity and I know it may go out of stock in a few weeks (i.e. some of the zara items... they go pretty fast! Especially when I still want it after thinking it through for a couple of days)

b) The price isn't that expensive

c) It is a neccessity (mmm... like if I had to go to a party where the dress code was red clothes and I didn't have anything to wear!)

I know the item is a hot commodity

Fascinating. :flower: I don't know of many places in town that are "hot items" because my city isn't that big. But, I would pay "full price" of an item at a thrift or consignment store only because it the only one in there.

these days i only buy something if i really really like it, and at that point i would pay for it whether its retail or sale, unless, its a store that i have easy access to and i know they will have it on sale eventually, then i may wait, but even then its unpredictable because all the small sizes are the first to go.

i've learned not to buy something that i just think is "cute" and because its on sale, to dive for it.. i have no more room! only pieces that i love and can't live without.

I pay retail if...
1. There is only one left in my size and I love, love, love, it and have to have it.
2. It isn't expencive.
3. If it won't go on sale or would be difficult to find on sale. (example: Hermes Scarf)

I pay retail if...
1. There is only one left in my size and I love, love, love, it and have to have it.
2. It isn't expencive.
3. If it won't go on sale or would be difficult to find on sale. (example: Hermes Scarf)

Same here.

Luckily I usually prefer the "weird" and special items which go on sale. For example I bought a coat dress by Malene Birger, which was produced in black, beige and neon yellow. The black and the beige were completely sold out, but the neon yellow went on sale and that was the one I wanted because it is so special.

Quality matters more to me than current interest so if I have for example 500$ for a dress, I in general prefer to buy a $1000 dress from last season which is reduced than a new dress. So I guess that at least 75% of my clothes is bought on sale. :smile:

I pay retail when:

a) I know the item is a hot commodity and I know it may go out of stock in a few weeks (i.e. some of the zara items... they go pretty fast! Especially when I still want it after thinking it through for a couple of days)

b) The price isn't that expensive

c) It is a neccessity (mmm... like if I had to go to a party where the dress code was red clothes and I didn't have anything to wear!)

exactly same here. :flower:

I like browsing shops a lot and I'm very, very bad at denying myself things I want and bad at waiting, so I suppose I pay retail a fair amount of the time. When there's something I want it's difficult not to just get it! But if there is something that is very expensive, and is likely to go on sale then I may wait, and I'll often pick up things in sales if I'm browsing.

I'm not really one for sample sales, they're just so crowded and not a nice shopping experience, I am enjoying sites like The Outnet though and stores seem to have sales so frequently it's easy to find things cheaper.

But it is so annoying buying at retail price and finding something you bought is reduced a few months later!

i was just thinking about this recently..

generally i think people are suckers for paying retail. i have to pay retail for makeup and department store beauty products (the cosmetic industry's price fixing prevents me from getting good deals on department store makeup) i also occasionally purchase a few clothing items on vacation. zara is my weakness. since they only have two sales a year and items disappear quickly off the shelves - i am forced to pay retail there.

i use coupons at H&M or buy the designer collaboration items on sale.

90% of my wardrobe is purchased on the second market. generally it can take months for an item to grow on me in the first place. used or pst season items that are NWOT offer substantial discounts.

i pay retail when i care about a designer's work and talent and want to support them in their efforts and help them succeed...

i'm also happy to pay whatever price is asked if it is something special and unique...
in fact, i feel lucky to pay whatever price if it is something that makes my heart sing...
i just feel fortunate to be able to have it...

:flower:...

If its a must have lol. I have tried resisting but ended going back paying retail the next day anyway, paying full retail.

I pay retail most of the time. For me, there's not a huge selection of great items in a season. I want to get the pieces I really want, and there may not have been very many produced. Sometimes I've gotten things that weren't stocked in my area at all, so I have to get them sent in.

Am I thrilled to see the item I bought with a slashed price tag later in the season? No ... but most of the time there isn't any of what I bought left to go on sale. I'm not interested in rolling the dice for a bargain ... it's more important to me to get what I consider the very best of the season. It's not like I'm the only one who knows what the good stuff is :wink:

traveling is another time that paying retail is fine to me...
when you are in a foreign country and can get something that is not available in your home country, then i think it's fine to pay the price asked...

of course- i still have a budget and attempt to get good value...etc...
it's a matter of personal priorities to some extent, i guess...

:P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->