Yoga

Does anyone have a favorite yoga workout/video/routine that doesn't involve sun salutations? My knee recently declared war on the rest of my body, which means I can't do lunges.

Sun A [& variations] doesn't have the lunges that B does.
If there's nothing wrong with your knee (diagnosis-wise) my yogi teachers would tell you to work thru it in order to strengthen area and avoid further imbalances), or avoid the postures that flare it up- ie., warrior I is a different knee stressor than warrior II. Even the floor poses do different things to different sides, angles,etc. There are some books that give ideas on a routine sequence ["choreography"] - if you want some rec's let me know. I find the gentle, non-stressing videos terribly boring. Would rather sit somewhere and meditate for that time.
But if it hurts in most everything...I'd get that checked out by a doc! :shock: :flower:

I've just begun doing Kundalini yoga and its great! I love that it mixes a bit of a workout with meditation and spiritual. It seems to me to be the best of both. I wanted to practice a type of yoga where I felt like I got a workout but also was able to get an inner perspective on myself too. Now I am wondering, why I didn't start sooner! My mum is quite happy to see that she finally rubbed off on me, she's been doing yoga for years now and even goes on retreats too, I guess mother really does know best! :D

i just did my first 90min session of bikram yoga.
so happy that (what felt like) the last third of the poses all involve being on the ground. I was so ready to just lie down.

Sun A [& variations] doesn't have the lunges that B does.
If there's nothing wrong with your knee (diagnosis-wise) my yogi teachers would tell you to work thru it in order to strengthen area and avoid further imbalances), or avoid the postures that flare it up- ie., warrior I is a different knee stressor than warrior II. Even the floor poses do different things to different sides, angles,etc. There are some books that give ideas on a routine sequence ["choreography"] - if you want some rec's let me know. I find the gentle, non-stressing videos terribly boring. Would rather sit somewhere and meditate for that time.
But if it hurts in most everything...I'd get that checked out by a doc! :shock: :flower:

Oh, I would love some recs, if only so I can change up what I'm doing now. I'm not a fan of the gentle videos either. I always end up getting annoyed, which I think sort of defeats the purpose of trying to relax.

Yeah, it's pretty much any standing position that involves bending the knee. I've noticed it with Warrior I and II, the Extended Side Angle, Prayer Twist, and Reverse Warrior. Don't worry, I'm definitely planning on getting it checked out. I just won't be able to see my regular doctor for a couple of months, and I'm really trying to avoid doing anything to aggravate it until then. :unsure:

i love bikram but i have I need SERIOUS help with one of my poses :( I go to my yogi and they work me over through it after the class but its not a physical barrier..its a mental thing!

I cannot for the life of me do padangustasana!!!! I for some reason back out half way down and stop, when i go from tadasana down into it...im having big problems trying to do it in one fluid motion.

So upsetting, ive been doing bikram for 2 years for crying out loud!! ARGH

Anyone help!!??

I've just begun doing Kundalini yoga and its great! I love that it mixes a bit of a workout with meditation and spiritual. It seems to me to be the best of both. I wanted to practice a type of yoga where I felt like I got a workout but also was able to get an inner perspective on myself too. Now I am wondering, why I didn't start sooner! My mum is quite happy to see that she finally rubbed off on me, she's been doing yoga for years now and even goes on retreats too, I guess mother really does know best! :D
Oh yeah I love kundalini too. i like Maya Fiennes dvd for beginner entry level. The music is a bit too much, but its easy to follow and gives a good workout. Meditation is also included.

Thanks Georgi... I will check the Maya Fiennes dvd out. I love having a yoga teacher though, it almost seems more relaxing having a teacher in the room with you rather then a dvd but I think their are times where a teacher might not be available. Also, I was wondering what sort of music they listen to when they do yoga?

Anything Enigma or Deep Forest!! ^^

(sorry for butting in :ninja: ) ehehe they're my favourite.

Anybody got some tips on relaxing yoga dvds?

ive done yoga in the past.. for about 4 years then stopped. Havent done any for about 5 years now. But really want to get back into it. Ive hurt my back so looking for a nice gentle exercise which wont push me to much and find my self drawn back to yoga and i used to feel so loose n elaxed afterwards. oviously due to back and being out of it a while i want to start off very very gently and work my self up. Can anyone recomend a type of yoga for me? ones thats gentle and doesnt invole too much stretching on my back?

sorry to butt in this just seemed good place to ask :flower:

Adore yoga, i did it for a while, it improved my upper thigh a lot, way more toned and you can noticeably tell they are more toned, my arms a little but i didn't see much of a result on my mid section. It also is a great for de-stressing, take a class if you're stressed out. It really works, yoga alone is not enough to get a toned body but it helps, combine it with cardio and you will be toned in no time!

^ I also have been doing yoga for a long time now and that's also my only remark — the mid section doesn't get very toned.

That can be true eu-pt. Maya Fiennes' Kundalini course does have exercises to strengthen the midsection tho. Cat/cow, and stretching over the legs and back seems to give me a good midsection workout. I can really feel it in the abs and back!

Another YT course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnbzxMsjbIk

I'm another yoga junkie. Unfortunately I can't afford to take regular classes at a yoga studio, so for now I'm stuck with "here and there" yoga: taking classes online, on DVD and attendeding a free class when I can find one. But I love it. It's one of the few forms of exercise where I feel like I'm working with my body rather than against it. And I love that I can do a different style workout on a given day, depending on my needs. Sometimes I'm in the mood for something fast paced that can really get my body moving and sometimes I feel like I need something more gentle and grounding.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about yoga out there. The biggest might be that it's just stretching and isn't a "real" workout. Not true at all! Another is that you need to be able to twist into a human pretzel to do it. Again that's false. I think one of the great things about yoga is that there's a style that's approrpriate to almost anyone.

I do power yoga, which I guess is a combination of a few different types of yoga. I've been doing it for more than 6 months, and can't imagine my life without it. I need to work on my headstands though because I fall over in like 2 seconds!

Juicy try to stop thinking about achiving the pose and instead try to concentrate on thinking that of your head is like a big heavy weight that is pulling you torso down and stretching your spine. This helps me a lot to mantain my body upper muscles relaxed while my knee muscles remain active. I hope this helps you as much as it helped me progressing in this asana. :flower:

Georgi thank you so much for the link for that vid. Funnily enough, yesterday, the yoga class I take was totally devoted to strengthen dorsal and abdominal muscles. The cat position was one of the first positions we did. Outch!!! It's still hurting right now, proving that I really need to do those asanas more frequently. :flower:

p.s. If anyones interested PM me and I'll try to give you a list of the asanas we did in the class, at least the ones I can still remember because let me worn you there were a lot of them!! ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dianarimar
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->