Yoga

I've been doing Bikram yoga for about 3 weeks now and I've been loving it. Never really been into yoga, although I have tried a few times, but hot yoga is actually really different. I think the heat helps so much with flexibility and gives you the confidence to try to go deeper into the poses and really stretch and work your muscles. Also helps that it's quite cold out and you're practically in a sauna for 90 minutes!!! Feels great when you're done, very refreshing.

I'm going today. There's a donation based studio by me, I pretty much only attend donation classes, it's pretty awesome, because a class costs less than my metro fare.

I'm going today. There's a donation based studio by me, I pretty much only attend donation classes, it's pretty awesome, because a class costs less than my metro fare.

Can I ask you - where in New York is that?

I love yoga! I've been taking classes at my local gym, and a few hot yoga classes here and there that I got coupons for. :smile: It is so good for your body. I've gotten so many books on it and fascinated to read about it, and watched some documentaries.

In NYC, check out Yoga to the People on St. Marks Place, donation based but very crowded. Focus is on really working the muscles, and core. If I skip class for awhile and then go, I am really really sore afterward.
http://yogatothepeople.com/directions-east.shtml

Greenpoint Church of the Messiah has community yoga in the basement on Sundays at 2:30, it's an hour and a half class,maybe I should not be posting this one on TFS because: the classes are always around ten people, which is small, for NYC in my experience, and the instructor is just fantastic.
http://www.messiahbrooklyn.org/Events.html

And Loom Studio in Bushwick does a community class twice a week, I've heard rad things about this place, but I haven't been yet.

At the end of 2009 I changed to Iyengar Yoga after 7 years of Hatha. I'm loving the greater level of physicality, skill and strength required. Last Thrusday I went to yoga and got 2 hours of personalised instruction (at the regular class price) because no one else turned up!

Also Donation-based, Hosh Yoga in Greenpoint, and the Greenpoint Library has a weekly class in their basement. (That one I don't go to, just saw a flyer about it yesterday.

At the end of 2009 I changed to Iyengar Yoga after 7 years of Hatha. I'm loving the greater level of physicality, skill and strength required. Last Thrusday I went to yoga and got 2 hours of personalised instruction (at the regular class price) because no one else turned up!

Yes! Iyengar is amazing! I get more out of my sessions when using blocks, blanket rolls, ropes and such. It pushes it to a whole different level.

I just got a fancy new phone, and I can download apps for it. So I have been trying out the Pocket Yoga app lately. I really like it.
Does anyone else have any home yoga tools they like to use?

I haven't done yoga in a while-- I used to do the Oxygen Network's yoga series “Inhale”-- can someone suggest a DVD?

My increasingly inflexible body thanks you in advance.

Kundalini Yoga for Beginners and Beyond DVD is good, the whole series is pretty decent. I have a friend who swears by them.

Avoid not practicing for a long time, I stopped for a year and it's hard when you restart taking classes, because your body is not obviously the same anymore, you can't do some positions that well anymore!

Thank you dauphine. I'll check that out.

Great advice ckgirlbr.

I'm really happy that this thread is active again.
I've been really in to Dolphin post lately. :smile:

^ I like most of the asanas, even the ones that really challenge me, but if I had to pick a favorite it would be the Shirshasana/head stand.

One thing I've noticed from doing yoga is that my hip joints seem more flexible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->