0000 Yves Saint Laurent: Still 'Smoking' After All These Years Exhibit

softgrey said:
because smoking is 'chic'...

:wink:...

don't know that they still make them actually pastry...
haven't seen them in ages...

how old is your pack poc??...:lol:

Pass. It's from New Zealand though, so maybe it's been hidden inside a sheep for twenty years or something...

Softie: YSL cigarettes are alive and well, at least in Hong Kong!

The concept of a smoking jacket is indeed quite chic...what exactly defines a smoking jacket? Wide lapels in contrasting fabric? Or does it refer to any blazer you can wear on its own, individual of a full suit? That said, Slimane's individual blazers are very nice...i wonder if he would've developed such treatments on the more couture-esque jackets had he stayed at YSL?

Fade to Black said:
Softie: YSL cigarettes are alive and well, at least in Hong Kong!

The concept of a smoking jacket is indeed quite chic...what exactly defines a smoking jacket? Wide lapels in contrasting fabric? Or does it refer to any blazer you can wear on its own, individual of a full suit? That said, Slimane's individual blazers are very nice...i wonder if he would've developed such treatments on the more couture-esque jackets had he stayed at YSL?

i believe that a 'smoking' is a tuxedo.....
initially a traditional pant suit and later ysl developed it into dresses as well...
**one incarnation of the 'smoking' dress is what he famously sued ralph lauren for copying and won the case...:wink:

i'm thinking that some of what taz posted doesn't really qualify as a 'smoking'...
it has to be a tux...
so satin lapels and sometimes cuffs are usually part of the piece...
:flower:

images of the smoking & more versions of it, Yves:heart: used to play with its propotion & cuts adding the jacket into short pants ,long or short skirts.. ....if u can remeber them in his last collection before taking his last standing ovation:cry:

the 2 ones below are the 1st le somking:flower:

Attachments

• SNAP01.jpg
    SNAP01.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 51656268.jpg
    51656268.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 51656263.jpg
    51656263.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 9
  • saintlaurent_smoking.jpg
    saintlaurent_smoking.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Elle96bis_i10.jpg
    Elle96bis_i10.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 15
  • YSL_i13.jpg
    YSL_i13.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 10
  • adv_0223.jpg
    adv_0223.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
here is the famous pic of 'le smoking' by helmut newton...
this was a big revolution at the time...
the idea of a woman wearing a man's tuxedo as eveningwear had never existed before...

it was all about androgyny...
sauer-thompson.com

Attachments

• Newtonfashion1.jpg
    Newtonfashion1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 33
le smoking- one of the true classics...
00380m.jpg

(autumn 2005 )

hello travis...

fyi-
ysl's 'le smoking' is about womens' tuxedos...
and ysl did not design a/w 2005...

:flower:

hello softgrey...

i'm aware of that however, i just wanted to illustrate that the masculine le smoking tux is also a staple of his menswear and stefano consistantly reinstates his old designs- which is wise because it seperates ysl from the other trend led fashion brands.

(btw- luv that pic of deneave with the young ysl- she looks almost...feminine....)

ok travis...

but you didn't actually SAY any of that did you?...:wink:...

:lol:...
thx for the response...that clears it all up....
ps- i think that pretty much every menswear collection has a tuxedo in it, no?...
:flower:...

I'd say that 'Le smoking' is more of a smoking jacket than a tuxedo. Traditionally, a European tuxedo (a dinner jacket) has a shawl-collar, not a notched-collar like an American tuxedo or a smoking jacket. Also a smoking jacket tends to button up higher to protect your waistcoat from the smoke, naturally.

direct quote from the 'man' himself...
excerpt from original interview...

He says the idea to put women in tuxedos came to him simply.
"I was at a soiree one evening, looking around, and I saw that all of the men were very handsome in their tuxedos, and that it was an outfit that flatters everyone," says Saint Laurent. "Since I'd put women in trouser suits, it seemed natural to do a smoking suit.
"What I would have loved to have done with the jean, I achieved with the smoking suit. That's to say, I created something that looked equally chic on men and women."

Soon the smoking took on a life of its own, becoming a recurring theme in Saint Laurent's repertoire. It went through many evolutions and versions.
"It changed over the years," he says. "The smoking existed with skirts, with Bermudas, with trousers. There were smoking coats and a smoking dress in muslin with a smoking collar and cuffs.

shim.gif

Paris honours tuxedo, YSL’s fashion favourite

Forty years ago French couturier Yves Saint Laurent first dressed a woman in a black tuxedo in what was seen as giving women power by dressing them in men’s clothes.

Now ‘le smoking’, as it is known here, has become a symbol of the legendary designer and is featured in its many variations through the decades in a new exhibition in Paris. ‘Smoking Forever’ opens on Wednesday midway through Paris fashion week, unveiling next spring-summer’s ready-to-wear collections, which kicked off on Sunday. Yves Saint Laurent’s show is on October 9.

Sequinned, cropped, belted, double-breasted, long, mini-dress-like, caped, draped, shaped and uncollared but always black, the smoking was a perennial favourite of Saint Laurent with a new design practically every year. He is famous for calling black a “refuge” and has described the smoking as “essential” because it makes a woman feel “constantly fashionable”. “It’s an item of clothing of style and not of fashion. Fashions pass, style is eternal,” he has said. The first version of the smoking appeared on the catwalk in summer 1966 during his ‘Pop Art’ autumn-winter haute couture collection — a jacket in black grain de poudre with four button-down pockets and trousers..

That year also saw the opening of the first Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche ready-to-wear boutique. “By appropriating male apparel and enabling women to wear it, Saint Laurent transferred the attributes of power from one sex to the other,” Pierre Berge, former chairman of the YSL couture house, wrote in the catalogue to the exhibition. An alternative to the traditional ‘little black dress’ or evening gown, the French designer took the smoking and in 1968 teamed it with Bermuda shorts. In the mid-70s it became a jumpsuit, while in 1996, it had adopted a belted safari jacket look.

About 50 designs will be on display at the YSL premises at 5 avenue Marceau standing as if pieces on a massive black-and-white chess board where the queen is the most powerful player. “It is a well-known fact that Chanel gave women their freedom; years later Saint Laurent brought them power,” writes Berge. Long-time muse French actress Catherine Deneuve appears arm-in-arm with Saint Laurent, both naturally dressed in a smoking, on the poster for the exhibition at the Pierre Berge-Yves Saint Laurent foundation. The exhibition runs from October 5 until April 23, open Tuesday to Sunday from 11:00 am until 6:00 pm. afp From the Daily News

i feel like i want to slap yves saint laurent. He talks like he is the greatest one in the fashion world. only keep on cristising. Is he thinking that nothing exits without him?

YVES is the greatest one in the fashion world & yes, nothing exist without him.

do u remeber guys the world cup finals in 1998 in Paris? & how the whole world watched the YSL show:heart: & then how the models gathered & forms the letters YSL...what a magical moment it was:heart: ?
& beside that the coins & stamps which were designed by Yves & carried his name..

and not to forget night of his retirement at Pombidue Centre...where even the public were able to share him this moment....can't say more the photos say it all..

i can't remeber any designer who have been honored in such way......& then i hear that someone would like to slap Yves :huh: .

Attachments

• 51657640.jpg
    51657640.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Yves_Saint_Laurent_4.jpg
    Yves_Saint_Laurent_4.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 137
  • yves_02.jpg
    yves_02.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 137
  • HERITAGE.jpg
    HERITAGE.jpg