1715-1780s Rococo

Great thread I will and try and scan my Kyoto Fashion book which has a bunch of great Rococo clothes in it

I'll always have a soft spot for Roccoco fashions. It was really the first time in history that "fashion" existed as a concept. Clothes became more than just what you wore and what social status you lived in. It was about enjoying the frivolity of beauty, the pursuit of glamour, decadence and sex appeal.....as long as you were a member of the bourgeois or nobility, anyway.

It's amazing to see these clothes in person. I saw some panniered court dresses and robes a la polonaise at an FIT exhibit a few years ago and the clothes are absolutely tiny. It's amazing how much the average size for an adult has changed in the two centuries since then.

For anyone who loves this era, Stephen Frears' Dangerous Liaisons is a must see. The opening credits are fantastic. Sophia Coppola's Marie Antoinette is worth watching too.

No problem Whitelinen! I love this thread, thank you so much for creating it. :flower:

Here is some more rococo loveliness:

bk-1978-247.z

hoef03.jpg

h2_CI.65.13.1a-c.jpg

2006AP6112.jpg

2006AV6190-1.jpg

img_6705_37329.jpg

2006AV6192.jpg

1988-83-1a--c.jpg

All images from www.demodecouture.com

Last edited by a moderator:
2006AV6195.jpg

polon02.jpg

85-17568.jpg

F4415.jpg

hoef04.jpg

1983_1_8(F1).jpg

E391CR-d1.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=400&cvt=jpeg

h2_C.I.64.32.3a,b.jpg

6.L.jpg

2A.L.jpg

13.L.jpg

12.L.jpg

hb_C.I.37.66a,b.jpg

005054_a.jpg

Kyoto, Kent State, the Met, demode, Museo del Costume Raffaello Piraino, Museo di Palazzo Mocenigo, Tidens Tøj

Instead of the 1980's, I say designers should revive the 1780's B)

la_galante_robe_polonaise_de_dos.jpg

005316aa.jpg

005388_a.jpg

anglaise01.jpg

la_galante_amazone.jpg

ampliar.jsp

2006AA1794.jpg

2006AV6193.jpg

DT4313.jpg

polon01.jpg

images: Modemuseum in Schloss Ludwigsburg, Kyoto, metmuseum, Gemeentemuseum den Haag, 18thcenturyblog.com, answers.com, ebay, university of michigan.

4Robe_habit_b.jpg

chinoiserie2.jpg

1780s_Koyoto_p56.jpg

Original V&A costumes being modeled in the early 1900's

14.jpg

18.jpg

16.jpg

20.jpg

6.jpg

elipol.jpg

15.jpg

ciCI%2066.39a,b.R.jpg

~another view of a dress I already posted, but this time completely accessorized. :wub:

Metmuseum, costumes.org, 18thcenturyblog.com, laracorsets.com, ebay, studio-international.co.uk, uni of michigan.

Wardrobe of King Frederik V of Denmark (1723-1766) and ceremonial garb
a31b3wl.jpg a06562wl.jpg
rosenborgslot.dk

From Sophia, it is indeed a splendid book. Perhaps the best book on history of fashion I have ever seen. I would scan those pictures myself had I got a scanner.

Spike, Rococo is indeed an interesting era in many ways - not only fashion became Fashion, but European dressmakers also got interested in everything Asian. And indeed, they were so tiny! I remember seeing a Rococo shoe at V&A and first thought it was small child's, turns out it was a woman's.

As for the film list, I would like to add Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon, and if one is into comedy, Blackadder Series III. Despite being comedy, the show had access to the costume archives of BBC. I especially enjoy the wardrobe of the Prince Regent (played by Hugh Laurie).

Here's the famous Dangerous Liaisons opening bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJK1Gh96tF8

Sprigged, thanks for the beautiful pictures! PS. "If it ain't Baroque, fix it" - I take it you are a Baroque fan too, then? I have been wondering if there should also be a Baroque thread here at TFS... :wink:

A couple of simple hair-dos pour mesdames from costumes.org :flower:

Attachments

• 216.jpg
    216.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 5
  • 217.jpg
    217.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 1770sheads1.jpg
    1770sheads1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 5
  • 1770sheads2.jpg
    1770sheads2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 4
^ The textiles really were stunning. I love some of the colors that were used, like that really vibrant yellow that seems to have been very popular.

And WhiteLinen, thanks for posting that Dangerous Liaisons clip. :heart:

I have to say, as much as the clothes make me swoon, the best part of the Rococo era is the hair. I :heart: :heart::heart: the pouf more than life itself. Someone needs to figure out a way to bring birdcages in hair back into fashion.

The idea of wearing a wig like that is indeed charming... but I wonder if anyone makes that kind of wigs anymore? It would also be interesting to know how many persons' hair is needed to make one of those huge wigs.

Shoes, shoes, shoes.

These are the shoes on show at V&A in London. The picture doesn't give you the right idea about the teeny-weeny size, though. If you do not recognise it to be Rococo and thus understand that people were smaller then - you will end up thinking they are children's shoes. Yes, they are that tiny. (flickr)

A circle of shoes (costumes.org)

(I have more to post, but Imageshack only gives me the URL of that same picture over and over again... anyone know what I should do in order to get the URL of the actual other images I have uploaded to Imageshack? The site doesn't offer any information on this.)

Ladies undergarments! Corsets and panniers. (met.org, costumes.org, gtj.com)

whitelinen have you created your own account at imageshack
or you just upload them as a guest?
you always have access to your photos you upload if you have an account

many thanks for the thread
nice seeing times going back further and further in this forum

the detailing is just amazing..
& just think, has the Industrial Revolution even passed yet..
then these textiles and everything would still be made from scratch.. by hand..

Instead of the 1980's, I say designers should revive the 1780's B)

Definitely, the 80's/90's were not good era's for fashion so why are people bringing them back?!

Do your feet hurt when you look at pics of those shoes?
They look so uncomfortable. :/ but I guess uncomfortable shoes were the least of their worries when it came to fashion.
Those hairdos, those undergarments, and the make up! :doh:

I've seen on the internet people making and selling 18th century dresses and I definitely plan on buying one when I finish school and start making some money. Even though I'll probably never get to wear it in public, i'll just wear it at home, reading a book. :D

also, I bought these shoes from an online costume shop.
They don't fit me but they are so lovely!

View attachment 420268View attachment 420269

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 1
^ I almost got those but they were so overpriced where did you get them from?

Speaking of reproduction/ inspired 18th century shoes, the boutique I work has quite a few shoes by the designer Olivia Rose Tal and almost all of the shoes have a very 18th century flair. I love them! Here are a few examples of her work.
olv_marseils.jpg
olv_silvygingr.jpg

olv_marseilsnake.jpg
olivia_083_83.jpg

(maggiescollection.com)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odel2233
Back