1895-1972 Cristobal Balenciaga

Balenciaga was an absolute genius.
The pure simplicity of some of the pieces that emphasizes the unusual shapes. I love the sleeve and the upper body as one idea and the sort of bare minimum of pattern pieces.
The one piece in this thread I haven't seen is the suit with two pieces of fabric draped off the back that almost gives the effect of a scarf falling off the shoulders.

balenciagassinuousblack.jpg

Photograph by Henry Clarke
"Balenciaga's sinuous black l line tunic dress, great black fox collar giving weight at the top, and a flying panel from the shoulders."

Here is what I meant in previous post.

(scanned by me from In Vogue - Six Decades of Fashion by Georgina Howell)

thank you :P flying panel sounds interesting......

I haven't got the Balenciaga book, but has it got a photo of the one seamed wedding dress and veil he made? It was on display at the Balenciaga retrospective in Paris some years ago and took my breath away.

For those who can speak spanish:

Tras la estela del modisto

donosti. DV. La productora vasca Idem Producción Audiovisual y la francesa Pyramide Production ruedan durante estos días en San Sebastián las últimas secuencias del documental Cristóbal Balenciaga, permanecer en lo efímero, que dirige el realizador Oskar Tejedor (Legazpia, 1968). La obra, que trata de desvelar los aspectos menos conocidos de la vida y la trayectoria profesional del modisto fallecido hace algo más de 35 años, reúne testimonios tan destacados como los de los diseñadores Emanuel Ungaro, Courrèges y Hubert de Givenchy; o los de Lesley Ellis Miller y Pamela Golbin, conservadoras del Museo de Artes Aplicadas Victoria & Albert de Londres y del Museo de Artes Decorativas de París, respectivamente.
El último en sumarse a la extensa lista de entrevistados ha sido Juan Mari Emilas, quien trabajó en EISA, la Casa Balenciaga de Madrid, desde 1948 hasta su cierre, ejerciendo de cortador en la sección de sastrería y colaborador más cercano del modisto. Emilas era entrevistado ayer en su domicilio y apenas un día antes también en el Estudio Creativo Cabeza de Lobo, del barrio donostiarra de Gros, cuyas instalaciones se convirtieron en un improvisado plató de cine para recrear un taller de costura propio de los años cincuenta y sesenta.
Al abrigo de un decorado de cartón piedra e infinidad de herramientas de la época, tomaron forma los patrones que Emilas había sacado meses antes de un traje firmado por Cristóbal Balenciaga que en la actualidad se expone al público en París. El proceso de construcción, o mejor dicho, reconstrucción de ese mismo traje sirve de hilo conductor al guión, al tiempo que permite recuperar y explicar el modo en que acostumbraba a trabajar su autor original.
El rodaje continuará mañana, sábado, en el Hotel María Cristina. Los salones del cinco estrellas han sido elegidos para simular los utilizados décadas atrás por el diseñador de Getaria en las pruebas de los vestidos que confeccionaba por encargo.
El documental Cristóbal Balenciaga, permanecer en lo efímero se estrenará en los próximos meses, aunque de momento no se conoce la fecha exacta ni el lugar elegido. Según explica su director, con él «pretendo mantener vivo el legado del modisto de los modistos, y descubrir a través de su obra el misterioso personaje que representaba; ortodoxo en la forma, pero lleno de vida en su interior».

This evening at 4:05 in a basque radio, they will speak about Balenciaga and the Documentary, you can listen it here:http://www.eitb.com/radio/radio-euskadi/

2ylwpw4.jpg

1968 - Balenciaga designs the uniforms for Air France’s stewardesses, then presents his final collection, calling fashion design “a dog’s life.”
Source: instyle.com

Another view of the last pic at #20

Orange Coat,1953(model was posing for buyers)

source:Mark Shaw's site

Filmography :

Costume and Wardrobe Department:

Como dos gotas de agua (1964) (costume designer: Isabel Garcés) (as Balenciaga)
Las hijas de Helena (1963) (costumes: Señora Garcés) (as Balenciaga)
... aka The Daughters of Helena (International: English title)

Pecado de amor (1961) (costume designer: Mrs. Montiel)
... aka Il mio amore è scritto sul vento (Italy)

La estrella vacía (1960) (costume: María Félix)
... aka The Empty Star

Le testament d'Orphée, ou ne me demandez pas pourquoi! (1960) (dress: Robe de la Dame Distraite par)
... aka Le testament d'Orphée (France: poster title)
... aka The Testament of Orpheus (USA)

Costume Designer:

Rocío de La Mancha (1963) (as Balenciaga)
Prohibido enamorarse (1961)
... aka Cosas de mama y papa (Mexico)

L'air de Paris (1954) (uncredited)
... aka Air of Paris (International: English title)
... aka Aria di Parigi (Italy)

La casa de la lluvia (1943)

imdb.com |

Has anyone watched these films^?

I've only been able to find clips of La estrella vacía (The Empty Star).
The woman here is María Félix that wears Balenciaga. Smoking non-filtered cigarettes.

Balenciaga: Spanish Master to Open in New York

Balenciaga history buffs in Paris got their chance to get up close and personal with the brand (everything from Cristobal’s famous archives to Nicholas Ghesquiere’s modern offerings) when the Musée de la Mode presented a fabulous exhibition in 2006—but for those stateside who may have missed it, another exhibit of the famed Spanish designer will land in New York in November. Balenciaga: Spanish Master will open at the Queen Sophia Spanish Institute on Park Avenue, displaying works exclusively by Cristobal Balenciaga himself between 1937 and 1968.

The exhibition was conceived by Oscar de la Renta (chairman of the Institute’s board of directors) and curated by Vogue’s Hamish Bowles, who also wrote the accompanying Rizzoli-published catalogue. It includes more than 70 pieces, like a 1939 “Infanta” gown, a 1947 “matador” bolero, the embroidered 1957 wedding dress of Sonsoles Díez de Rivera (daughter of Balenciaga's Spanish muse, the Marquesa de Llanzol), and flamenco inspired dresses from 1951 and 1961 (click gallery for preview images!), which come from private and museum collections, the Met’s Costume Institute, the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology, and even Bowles’ personal collection. Balenciaga: Spanish Master will open to the public on November 19, and will run through February 19, 2011.
(dailyfrontrow)

I love this thread because Cristóbal Balenciaga was not only an amazing designer but he taught classes to designers such as Oscar de la Renta, Emanuel Ungaro and Hubert de Givenchy. He is definitely a designer I wish was still around. Truly one of my favourites.

i had the opportunity to see this exhibit and it was breathtaking. i was a little surprised at how small the venue was, though. it gets crowded very quickly.

I love this thread. The history is so rich and amazing. I love how timeless some of his designs are!

The 174 dress in #295 for example would not look a day out of place if someone sent that down the runway today.

vogue.de

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, how gorgeous are those? :crush:

I'm loving the pink pieces the most, and the necklace in the second-to-last shot is just breathtaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->