The Balenciaga Effect

It seems like so many magazines right now have been writing articles about this fashion house...it's history and effect, etc.
I cant remember the exact magazines right now, but more than enough!!
Balenciaga seems to be the talk of the town right now....

WhiteLinen said:
I like Balenciaga, but it's getting over-exposed...it's EVERYWHERE.

Yeah, but that's no fault of the Ghesquiere or Cristobal.

AvantGarde, oooh la la! It's all so amazing and beautiful. It gives me chills :blush: :heart: :flower:

i'm a little happy about the over-exposed thing. because i hope they will boost sales so that the gucci group won't fired nicolas or shut this brand down :P

Balenciaga's influence has been everywhere these past few seasons, but none more then f/w 06 (as proved by the Style.com article) His influence completely coincides with all the exploration of volume, shape and fabrics.

It's odd though because as much as I admire his work, I really disliked Balenciaga's f/w 06 collection. Perhaps Nicolas was referencing Cristobal's work too literally for it to feel new.

Although the ivory wool dolman sleeve cocoon coat he did looks just as interesting today as it did forty years ago.
00021.L.JPG

firstview.com

I'm absolutely in love with that wishbone buttoned skirt-suit...it's just dramatic enough to make an impact but it still maintains a quiet kind of elegance. It's classic, I could easily see it on a woman of today with knee-high boots and aviator sunglasses.

I wish I could visit the exhibit to really see the work up close.

:heart: :heart: :heart: balenciaga really is one of the best! thanks avant garde. even if it is a little more exposed these days, the pieces are still exquisite and balenciaga's just a classic. i must admit thought that their biker bags are overexposed and overused. still, balenciaga's great!:heart: :heart: :heart:

I have always been a fan of Cristobal Balenciaga. He is the utterly incomparable artist of Parisian haute couture. Even before I knew who he was, his style made an impression on me. I am less familiar with Nicolas Ghesquiere, but the fact that french cultural icons such as Charlotte Gainsbourg and Francoise Hardy seem so carried away with him is very impressive. And of course I love the fact that he so unabashedly pays homage and tribute to the great master Balenciaga. We shall therefore continue to look for great things from the young master.^_^

GB

Spike413 said:
I'm absolutely in love with that wishbone buttoned skirt-suit...it's just dramatic enough to make an impact but it still maintains a quiet kind of elegance. It's classic, I could easily see it on a woman of today with knee-high boots and aviator sunglasses.

HI,
which one do you mean exactly? i somehow can't remember from the collection......maybe you could post a pic? thanks.:flower:

a little off-topic: the Suzy Parker pic is way too gorgeous!

liberty33r1b said:
HI,
which one do you mean exactly? i somehow can't remember from the collection......maybe you could post a pic? thanks.:flower:
It was the one on the first page of the thread from 1950.

Balenciaga effect

Balenciaga is just fantastic. Their f/w 2006-2007 collection was one of my greatest inspiration sources for my graduation project in fashion illustration (which turned out great, thanks to Balenciaga :D). Only now I see how the current fashions are inspired by the earlier creations. It's great to see the connections.

Here is one of the illustrations that I made. In reality it's quite big (70cmx50cm) and some of the details are lost due to digitalization but anyway.. Tell me what you think!

Attachments

• balenciaga.jpg
    balenciaga.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 42
Thanks for the info Avant Garde, i love Balenciaga:heart: .....
This one is my favorite from Fall 06 RTW

Attachments

• 00370m.jpg
    00370m.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
A few months ago, Time magazine had an article about Cristobal's influence on the runway last year. I'd scan it if I still had it (and a scanner). :(

Last edited by a moderator:
softie, You're most welcome! :flower:

Here's another link which shows some history, including his very first dress, but the images are unfortunately tiny...:(

http://www.fundacionbalenciaga.com/ingles/index-i.html

Personally, I love Balenciaga because it is really about architecture. :smile:

Ah you beat me to it!

There's also a museum in his native town which I would recommend to anybody insterested in his craft.

Spaniards are really proud of him and cringe when people call Balenciaga a "French" house. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ross640
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->