1905-1958 Claire McCardell

1950 - Black rayon jersey. Tying at the waist and neckline became an element used universally by Claire McCardell. The folk tradition yielded to First Empire proto-modernism, especially in clothing for the evening. For McCardell, this plebeian and even rustic naturalism could be sustained for evening through the force of its simple lines and its approximation to the haute-couture draping of Madeleine Vionnet and Madame Grès.

hb_1997193.2.jpg

metmuseum.org

1940s Claire McCardell Wrap Halter Dress

source: enokiworld.com

Attachments

• mccardellhalter.jpg
    mccardellhalter.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 4
1950s Claire McCardell Belted Blue Gingham Shirtdress

enokiworld.com

Attachments

• clairegingham.jpg
    clairegingham.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 6
It is such a shame that Mccardell died so young, she was such a talented designer. I especially love her early sportswear. If only we could still look that chic when doing sports now!

I adore McCardell, was so happy to see this thread! Even happier to see one of my dresses!! Thought you all might like to know that Tracey Ullman (who is a big fan of and avid collector of McCardell pieces) ended up contacting me about that dress and wore it for part of her appearance as hostess of last year's CFDA Awards.....here she is wearing it, with Zac Posen....

traceymccardell1-1.jpg

Ang

she was pure genius,imo. she had this way of utilising classic and traditional materials and twisting them with such contemporary techniques.

i wonder how much of an influence she was on designers like branquinho and jurgi persoons? because in them and their body of work i see a bit of mccardell.

1950s Claire McCardell Dotted Cotton Dress

source: enokiworld.com

Attachments

• clairedot.jpg
    clairedot.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arielmarison