1920s Actresses (February 2004 - November 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplelucrezia

Reaction score
Although I must admit I have seen very few films from the era, since they are mostly very difficult to get a hold of, I love the overall feeling and look of actresses from that period. So far I have only seen very few, including It with the adorable Clara Bow and the thought-provoking Coquette with Mary Pickford. My favourite so far though has definately been Louise Brooks, who starred in the wonderful classic Pandora's Box. She is just so full of power and mystery! My current discovery though has been Lillian Gish, another mesmerizing woman who epitomizes the era. Not only are these women extremely talented (after all, they had to express great emotion without using sound), but they are all very riveting and have a wonderful glow to them. I thought that I would share some pictures that convey their wonderful moods and some of the fantastic outfits from the period. This is my tribute to these women... :flower:
Here is Lillian Gish:

its like they have HUGE eyes, small little pouty dark lips and a halo of curls. each one of them. interesting.... eyeshadow under the eye as well as on top. its a hard look to pull off, it might come off kind of goth-y nowadays.

they have a fascinating quality about them, the way the photos are taken only adds to this :flower:

and Bessie Smith (1894-1937) Singer she is known as “the Empress of the Blues.”

Smith began singing on street corners at the age of nine, and would later become one of the nation’s great blues singers. She composed many of her songs, which looked at the joy and suffering of African Americans. Her first record in 1923, “Down-Hearted Blues” sold two million records and she was one of the highest-paid blues singers in the country. This “Empress of the Blues” worked with several musical legends, including Louis Armstrong and Benny Goodman.

:rolleyes: Homesickness when you holds us ...

Originally posted by Fujyn@Feb 20th, 2004 - 8:45 am
and Bessie Smith (1894-1937) Singer she is known as “the Empress of the Blues.”

Smith began singing on street corners at the age of nine, and would later become one of the nation’s great blues singers. She composed many of her songs, which looked at the joy and suffering of African Americans. Her first record in 1923, “Down-Hearted Blues” sold two million records and she was one of the highest-paid blues singers in the country. This “Empress of the Blues” worked with several musical legends, including Louis Armstrong and Benny Goodman.

:rolleyes: Homesickness when you holds us ...
I've heard of her, from what i;ve heard I like her :flower:

What about Josephine Baker? She's not actually an actress, but she certainly deserves mention. Some of her outfits were a little out there (part of her image) :lol: but her voice is charming. I love her version of "After I Say I'm Sorry."

A tragic looking Brooks. I think this picture perfectly expresses the wonderful eloquence of her face. :cry:

Sadly, Louise Brook's career faded after the 1920's. Here she is in 1939, still looking just as startling as ever... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->