1934 Paco Rabanne (retired) work : 1966-2004

DosViolines

far from home...
Reaction score
Apparently there's no thread on Paco Rabanne, go figure :huh:

wikipedia.org

Paco Rabanne, (born Francisco Rabaneda Cuervo on February 18, 1934 in Saint Sebastian in the Spanish Basque Country), is a fashion designer. He fled Spain for France with his mother when the Spanish Civil War broke out. He originally had an architect's education but became known as the enfant terrible of French fashion world in the 1960s.

Rabanne started his career in fashion by creating jewellery for Givenchy, Dior and Balenciaga. He started his own fashion house in 1966. He used such unconventional materials as metal, paper and plastic for his outlandish and flamboyant designs.

Paco Rabanne is known for his costume designs for such films as Barbarella. Also Françoise Hardy was a big fan of Rabanne's designs.

Rabanne also has an interest in paranormal phenomena, and became infamous for his false prediction of the Russian space station Mir falling to Paris in 1999.

geocities.com

Rabanne was a trained architect turned fashion designer. His architectural background led him to use disks cut from metal or plastic, linked with wire and other interesting techniques when he created his fashions.

Before opening his own fashion house in 1966 he created buttons and jewellery for Givenchy, Dior and Balenciaga. In his hi-tech period, he produced tiny metal, vinyl and plastic link dresses. These fashion experiments were important in pushing the boundaries of acceptable clothing to wear on the street.

Rabanne created his clothing by laying a woman on a table and shaping the metal parts directly on her body. This prompted Coco Chanel to remark that he was not so much a couturier but a metalworker.

In 1966 Rabanne created his version of the moon-girl look in Perspex and metal and also plastic and acrylic. Rabanne will be remembered for his 1969 gold metal sculptured dress. His work inspired outfits for the film Barbarella and his chain-mail outfits were featured in the film Who are you, Polly Magoo?
At the official site there's a very informative timeline, if anyone's interested ^_^

thefrock.com

designerpage2clothes03ki1.jpg

Additional images:

oh- crazy we have no existing thread...
thanks dosV...
we need this here...!

My pleasure ^_^

Paco Rabanne, pearlescent and silver plastic “chain mail” wedding dress, 1968, France, gift of Montgomery Ward.

fitnyc.edu

Attachments

• RABANNE-ZOOM.jpg
    RABANNE-ZOOM.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 28
Dress
Paco Rabanne
Paris, France
Museum no. T.99-1988

The bodice of this tunic is made from triangular and circular leather panels linked by metal studs. The skirt is of oblong panels with two front pockets. The back fastens with oversized jewellery clasps, covered with a diagonal strip of leather.

Paco Rabanne was the son of Balenciaga's head seamstress. After studying architecture, he designed jewellery and accessories for Paris couturiers such as Balenciaga and Dior. In 1966 he opened his own fashion house in Paris where he sold dresses made out of new or unusual materials like perspex discs and metal links. In 1968, Rabanne also designed Jane Fonda's wardrobe for the film Barbarella.

vam.ac.uk

Attachments

• 18609-large.jpg
    18609-large.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 25
25399largefa2.jpg

Dress
Paris
Plastic and metal
Museum nos. T.165-1983; T.163&A-1983
Worn and given by Baroness Helen Bachofen von Echt

Paco Rabanne led the field of radical experimentation in elite fashion design. Using techniques borrowed from jewellery, he created sculptural dresses in unconventional materials, which inspired inferior copies in London. Baroness Helen Bachofen von Echt wore this dress to a party in New York where she danced with Frank Sinatra.
vam.ac.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that the man himself is compltely mad, loves Nostradamus and still believes that he is the reincarnation of an old-egyptian prostitute (yeah)

I LOVE Paco Rabanne...it's such a perfect time for Rabanne, the space age trend that's coming about.

belletrist said:
Note that the man himself is compltely mad, loves Nostradamus and still believes that he is the reincarnation of an old-egyptian prostitute (yeah)

I knew he was a bit :wacko:...
Reincarnation of an old-egyptian prostitute...:shock:

I was wondering was there a thread on his work. Brilliant fashion, thank you for this (once again).

I can't believe it, no thread until '0-freaking-7.
Thanks DosViolines, I have some scans coming up...

Mémoire de la mode: Paco Rabanne
Éditions Assouline
Lydia Kamitsis

Source: my scans

doylenewyork

533869.jpg

Paco Rabanne Chain Mail Mini Ensemble
French, 1966

Of overlapping aluminum washer discs, mini skirt and vest, size 4, no label.

Excellent condition.

paco rabanne coat

my own photo--i forgot what book i found this in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->