3.1 Phillip Lim

well i dont know about the quality cause i'm a student and i cant afford it, but i love him as a designer - definately one of my favourites!

I love his clothes. He has a distinctive style that is beautiful, feminine and modern.

i notice that I actually see alot of his pieces on sale!
which is exciting for me, but is this a bad sign?

I have to admit I'm a pretty big groupie, but recently I haven't really been a huge fan of his collections. Whereas in the past I wanted everything, now they're a bit hit and miss.

Also his prices have skyrocketed in the past. Initially you could buy one of his dresses for US$400 tops, now it's like US$600 standard, with the rare US$400-500 dress being the exception rather than the norm. Unfortunately I don't feel the quality has kept up with this price increase.

I don't think his clothes are very trendy, they're very classic and subtle to me, especially in comparison to other contemporary designers and I find the fit a lot better.

I do see his items on sale a lot which again is good for me - not sure what it says, though, but his more popular items are pretty much never on sale and so often I see them sold out (hello, rosette dress anyone? Yes I am guilty of owning this).

His clothes are such a fresh take on the classic, elegant look that fits the younger ones (ages 16-21ish).

On a slighter off topic, how do you pronounce his line? Is it Three-point-one? Or Thirty-one? Or Three one?

i have two pieces, a white rosette cropped t-shirt and a navy rosette dress... i like the top and i've worn it several times...it's flimsy but tough... it wasn't too expensive imo...just average

...this reminds me that i haven't touched the dress but i'll probably layer it as it gets cooler... i did read that someone's dress stretched (width and length) after one wash (i think it was) and so i am a bit weary...

...but his clothes aren't something i'd go to specifically to check out...
not really 'me.'

justlooking regarding the rosette dresses - I read hand wash them and dry it flat rather than hanging so it doesn't stretch out. Also it's better to store it flat in a cupboard rather than hanging it.

i have two pieces, a white rosette cropped t-shirt and a navy rosette dress... i like the top and i've worn it several times...it's flimsy but tough... it wasn't too expensive imo...just average

:o I wish my average was your average! I love his stuff but as a student I couldn't possibly afford it. The word effortless gets thrown around way too often in fashion but I do believe it applies here: his clothes are both fashionable and effortless!

there is no general phillip lim discussion thread so this is fine here....:flower:

i have to say that i am on the 'poor quality' bandwagon...
i wouldn't care abouut the quality so much if the clothes were less trendy and less expensive...

but a $600 dress better not fall apart or pill and better be stylish for more than 3-4 months...!!!

even though the designs are quite adorable in a super trendy sort of way...

the prices are just completely out of whack for the clothing...
:ninja:

I completely agree!!!:flower:
I also think that his designs are not original. inexpensive Chloe to be honest.:sick:

The thing that bugs me is that most of his clothes don't need much tailoring or fittings. He doesn't need to do much for a trepez dress...just to make sure that shoulders and arm holes are right. Yet he charges prices close to a "fine apparel" designer's. Also when you see his clothes on sales racks, you can tell that they don't age well. I'd rather spend a few more hundred dollars to get something more classic and last longer.

i bought a phillip lim coat that originally retailed for $695. no way was it worth that much. i snatched it up when it was majorly discounted, and was selling at a price that, in my opinion, reflected the quality. it's a supercute coat, but just not worth the original selling price.

Yes to be honest most of my PL items were on sale (ok except for two). I'm not keen on his RRP but he does seem to be reduced often enough. Phillip Lim fits into my wardrobe well and his price point (post-reductions) are good for me. He's like, cheap Chloe then :P Some of his designs are derivative but he executes them well and in my opinion comes up with some original ideas too.

:o I wish my average was your average! I love his stuff but as a student I couldn't possibly afford it. The word effortless gets thrown around way too often in fashion but I do believe it applies here: his clothes are both fashionable and effortless!

haha, i meant average in the sense that everything is getting more expensive ...so for a shirt it would be in an average range... :flower: (the dress i bought on sale :P ...no way was i going to pay nap prices ...although when the ups man came i had to pay taxes or whatever and it brought the price right back up. doh! )

i completely agree with what caffeine said about construction or rather lack-of

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually with the trapeze dress, I have to say most of the time his are cut very well. There are many trapeze dresses which are a bit funny on or just make you look pregnant but I really do like his because they sit properly and fall across the body rather than billowing out making more volume.

I wish he'd lower his prices like how they were originally! That's when he started doing really well, because at that price range (dresses $250-$400) he was competing with Betsey Johnson, BCBG, etc and obviously creaming them, now, I'm not so sure as there already seems to be so many people unwilling to pay full price for him.

the new collection is quite nice, and the quality seems good, its hard to tell with cotton sometimes.

but this dress in white reminds me of kate moss's first top shop dress!
index.jpg

I have to admit I'm a pretty big groupie, but recently I haven't really been a huge fan of his collections. Whereas in the past I wanted everything, now they're a bit hit and miss.

Also his prices have skyrocketed in the past. Initially you could buy one of his dresses for US$400 tops, now it's like US$600 standard, with the rare US$400-500 dress being the exception rather than the norm. Unfortunately I don't feel the quality has kept up with this price increase.

I don't think his clothes are very trendy, they're very classic and subtle to me, especially in comparison to other contemporary designers and I find the fit a lot better.

I do see his items on sale a lot which again is good for me - not sure what it says, though, but his more popular items are pretty much never on sale and so often I see them sold out (hello, rosette dress anyone? Yes I am guilty of owning this).

completely agree. i got my first phillip lim item at barneys 2 years ago... i really liked this stuff back then, especially his spring 2007 collection which really made me wow. but his recent stuff is mediocre at best, i only like certain items...not entire collections

He is so great. The designs are very modern and chic.
He had a crossover with Uniqlo which the price are much cheaper with satisfactory quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hosewearer
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->