A Lasting Impression : The Influence of Classic Icons

Luxx

oh me, oh my
Reaction score
Classic icons are important to fashion not just for their incredible personal style but also for the influence the have had on designers, tastemakers and the fashion industry in general. The focus of this thread will be discussion on the influence of classic icons and the things they have inspired - be they collections, editorials, advertisements or individual fashion items.

A few guidelines:

1. Please provide images for comparison.

2. Please provide information on the reference. A collection might reference Audrey Hepburn but is it Audrey's personal style her look in Breakfast at Tiffany's or her Audrey in Two for the Road? Extra information is always helpful.

3. Have fun!

Chanel Le Rouge Advertisements
Inspiration: Bridgette Bardot in Le Mépris (Contempt)

Le Mépris Director: Jean Luc Goddard
Chanel Photographer/Director: Bettina Rhimes
Model: Julie Ordon

Video:
The Le Rouge Commerical | A scene from Le Mepris

Both the commercial and the clip utilize the same Georges Delerue song and the same scenario. The print ads are very similar to the poster for Le Mépris as well with the soft almost painted look and the image of the woman wrapped in a sheet. Everything about this campaign reminds me of vintage Bardot - Julie Ordon even looks a bit like her.

Image Credit | Catriona Jeffries Gallery & Chanel.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexander McQueen F/W 05
Inspiration: Tippi Hedren in The Birds
The Birds Director: Alfred Hitchcock
The Birds Costume Designer: Edith Head

The Original

The Inspired

You can really see where Alexander took portions of Tippi's wardrobe in the film and reinterpreted it into a modernized version. Everything is much more form fitting in his version of things. The suit Inguna is wearing is almost identical to the one Tippi wore in the film right down to the pearls they've accessorized it with.

Image Credit | Style.com & Screencaps made by Me

Michael Kors Resort 08
Inspiration: Gloria Guinness
Bio: Gloira Guinness (born Gloria Rubio y Alatorre, August 27, 1912 - November 9, 1980) was a Mexican socialite and writer who was a contributing editor to Harper's Bazaar from 1963 until 1970. She also was a member of the International Best Dressed List.

The Original:

The Inspired:

I think this collection really captured the feel of her style without copying it outright. The clothes seem like thing she would wear rather than pieces just ripped off. Michael took her signatures; the printed caftan, the statement hats, the white trousers and big 1960s shades and just updated them.

Image Credit | Style.com & Corbis

Balenciaga Resort 08
Inspiration: Jacqueline Onassis
Bio: Jacqueline Lee Bouvier Kennedy Onassis (July 28, 1929 – May 19, 1994) was the wife of John F. Kennedy from 1953 to 1963 and was known as Jacqueline Kennedy or Jackie Kennedy. She served as First Lady of the United States from 1961 until her husband's assassination in 1963. From 1968 until his death in 1975, she was married to Aristotle Onassis and was known as Jacqueline Onassis, Jackie Onassis, or more informally as Jackie O. In later years she had a successful career as a book editor. She is highly regarded as a fashion icon.

The Original:

The Inspired:

Now this is really cool I think. When I first saw this collection I imediately thought Jackie O. The colorful headscarves plus giant sunglasses combination always makes me think of her during her Aristotle years but Ghesquire has added on a considerable amount of pattern to these creations which a unique touch. Some of he bags remind me of her Hermes' as well with the long shoulder strap and very rectangular construction. Quite vintage looking.

Jeans Comme Jane
Inspiration: Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg
Bio: Jane Mallory Birkin, is an actress and singer. Birkin emerged in the swinging '60s in London, starring as one of the models in the controversial film Blowup in 1967.
It was love at first sight between Jane and Serge Gainsbourg, a popular singer and musician. A fashionable couple on the Paris scene, they made the headlines in 1969 with a artfully disturbing song, Je t'aime moi non plus.
Magazine: Vogue Paris
Photographer: Peter Lindbergh
Stylist: Emmanuele Alt
Model: Jessica Miller

The Original

The Inspired

I really love this edit. I think that Emmanuelle's styling is really similar to what Jane would have worn during this time period and perhaps now even. Jessica Miller does look a great deal like Jane Birkin so she was a good choice in terms of model. The male model they've chosen for Serge isn't 100% in my book - I think he's a little too pretty to play Serge Gainsbourg but thats just me. Apart from that I think this is a very loving tribute. Vogue Paris certainly respects Jane and her style. I also like how they didn't shove in any of the more ubiquitous Jane items like the Hermès Birkin - gorgeous bag but I think its taken on a very different cultural identity than that of its namesake and as such would have been a distracting addition. I like how they've kept everything simple and down to earth in terms of styling.

Image Credit | Her Famed Good Looks & Corbis

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for making this lovely thread! :clap: I'm looking foward for more ^_^

Gucci F/W 07 Hair & Makeup
Inspiration: Veronica Lake
Bio: Veronica Lake (14 November 1922[1] – 7 July 1973) was a popular American film actress and pin-up model who enjoyed both popular and critical acclaim, especially for her femme fatale roles in film noir during the 1940s.
Makeup Artist: Pat McGrath
Hairstylist: Guido Palau

The Original:

The Inspired:

Veronica Lake was always very glamorous so her overall look fits with the image of Gucci. I like how they've softened the hair - the waves look softer and a bit less "done" at Gucci but they've still kept the spirit of her signature style. The red lips are perfect - I think the makeup is almost exactly like Veronica Lake's. The overall effect is completely retro and very beautiful.

Image Credit | Movie Mavens & Style.com

Rochas F/W 2005 by Oliver Theyskens
Inspiration: Wallis Warfield Simpson
Bio: Wallis, Duchess of Windsor (born Bessie Wallis Warfield; 19 June 1895 or 1896 – 24 April 1986) was the American wife of Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor.
Original Designer Mainbocher

The Original

The Inspired

When I look at these Rochas gowns I cannot help but think of Mainbocher and his bias cuts - particularly the simple chic wedding dress he designed for Wallis Simpson. Oliver Theyskens' designs are frillier and a bit more detailed but they maintain the same shape and overall feel. There is a very restrained almost modest look that is shared between all the dresses. The sleeves and nipped waists especially call to mind Wallis' wedding gown.

Thank you so much for the thread and the very beautiful pictures. I enjoy it very much. I'm looking forward for more. I would particulary love to see pictures of influences by my favourite classic icon Marilyn Monroe.

Alexander McQueen F/W 07
Inspiration: Elizabeth Taylor in Cleopatra
Cleopatra Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz
Cleopatra Costume Designer: Renié
McQueen Makeup Artist: Charlotte Tilbury
McQueen Hairstylist: Eugene Souleiman

The Original:

The Inspired:

Amazing. I thought this was a very strong collection overall but I liked the Cleopatra bits best. The makeup is almost exactly like La Liz's in the film and the clothes while not identical to Liz's costumes follow the theme of ornate gold and revealing body conscious shapes set forth in the film. Everything struck me as being very ancient Egyptian inspired though McQueen stated his main influence as the paganism surrounding the Salem witch trials.

Image Credit | Corbis.com, Movie Mavens & Style.com

Performance
Inspiration: Marilyn Monroe
Bio: Marilyn Monroe (born Norma Jeane Mortenson on June 1, 1926 – August 5, 1962), was a Golden Globe Award-winning American actress, singer, model and pop icon. She was known for her comedic skills and screen presence, going on to become one of the most popular movie stars of the 1950s and early 1960s.
Photographers: Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott
Hair Stylist: Oribe
Makeup Artist: Lucia Pieroni for Clé de Peau Beauté
Monroe Photographers: Bert Stern, Andy Warhol, Sam Shaw, Douglas Kirkland, et al.

The Original:

The Inspired:

I love this set! I think Mert and Marcus did a really good job of capturing Monroe's allure - Kate is certainly not the first model I think of when it comes to Marilyn but she does a good job here. The hair and makeup really help since Kate does not actually look like Marilyn but with the tousled blonde hair and eyeliner she conjures her look quite well. Plus I think they were trying to do a little bit of a comparison in terms of the fact that they're both influential cultural icons. M&M reinterpret many of Monroe's signature photographs but the shoot that stand out in my mind is the Bert Stern scarf series, all the colors they use seem very drawn from that. There is a bit of a nod to Warhol as well in the pop art photo of Kate - unique touch I think. I'm a great fan of Mert and Marcus' work in general but this photoshoot really stands out - I think its a very well crafted tribute to Monroe.

View the full Performance edit on Style.com

Image Credit | Style.com & Marilyn Fan.org

...ahh Luxx.. why so many treats this month?!, yet another score of brilliance!.. :wub:
I'm already in love with this thread.. the duchess of windsor-inspired collection is beautiful in execution, couldn't have gone wrong under the hands on olivier of course.. and Performance is quite possibly one of the most outstanding tributes to Monroe's iconic legacy in our time, IMO :blush:.. I'm not crazy about Mert and Marcus' usual work but the way they played with the colours could be nearly as refreshing and innovating as I imagine it was back in the time of Bert Stern's greatest achievements; Kate Moss also does a powerful performance as Marilyn.. I remember reading a short interview of Galliano a few years ago about a couture show inspired by Kate and how he thought she was the marilyn monroe of our time, I was skeptical.. and still am!, but it's undeniable how she channels perfectly that over-the-top yet effortless charisma of marilyn.. :heart:

60'S MINUTE
INSPIRATION: PENELOPE TREE.

penelope1qv6.jpg

Harper's Bazaar July 2001
Photographed by Patrick Demarchelier
Fashion Editor Brana Wolf
Make-up: Gucci Westman
Hair: Jimmy Paul
Model: Angela Lindvall at IMG
Source: demarchelier.net/penelope tree's myspace group.

INSPIRATION: PENELOPE TREE BY CECIL BEATON, 1968.

Model: Irina Lazareanu
Photographer: ?
Publication: ?

credits: livejournal/herfamedgoodlooks.

INSPIRATION: MIA FARROW IN ROSEMARY'S BABY (Roman Polanski, 1968)

mia1df1.jpg

Photographed by Camilla Akrans.
Models: Mona J.

credits: lundlund/imdb.

Karma to you Luxx and MulletProof! ^_^

Irina looks so much like Theda Bara in the posted edit :o And Angela Lindvall wouldn't really be your conventional choice to potray Penelope but she pulled it off wonderfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->